X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by janmb View Post
    Sounds like a brilliant reason to try out the PB pioneer or the AR Smoothflite 16 imo.... Both solving the power issues just fine, and in the latter case providing a really good, embedded gyro as well
    I may consider that indeed... although first I'd like to see if I can sort it in another fashion as I planned to make an FPV build of the jet, so I already have a Flight Controller, which makes adding more gyros a bit less interesting. And because I've already spent a lot of money on planes this year... but if I don't find any reasonable solution that satisfies me I will likely walk that path. I will be running two RX8R redundant receivers too, BTW.

Originally posted by Scale Master View Post
    I'm currently doing a twin turbine conversion with Xicoy X-45 10 lbs engines.
    janmb, they beat you to it, lol!

Originally posted by Scale Master View Post
    Already plumed the fuel lines and tanks.
    Isn't that fwd fuel tank a bit too far from CG?

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
      janmb, they beat you to it, lol!
      Hehe there has already been several conversations, including twins.

I'm exclusively happy about that - it's fun to see others' projects, and it's not a contest to be first 😁

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• hey, I got my maiden flights in today, everything went great. I'm using RT6250s and had about 35% left after 3:40 on the timer. Balanced just a bit behind the CG and I needed only a few clicks of up trim. I'm sure the CG can be moved back farther a bit. I love the way this plane lands, Its really easy to hold the nose up and its a floater.

It gave the impression of being slow, but I think its because its such a big jet. Looking forward to many more flights!

Time to share "first time out" pictures. Its a BIG baby!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200926_132950.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.8 KB ID:	276844
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20200926_124623.jpg Views:	0 Size:	268.3 KB ID:	276845
        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Hehe there has already been several conversations, including twins.

I'm exclusively happy about that - it's fun to see others' projects, and it's not a contest to be first 😁
          Yes, yes, of course it's not... but you've been beaten to it!

(Just bugging you, of course, hehehe... it's free!)

Comment

• Sadly, the Dear Leader did not survive. Reversed ailerons. I am not quite sure what happened, but most likely I made an error when first setting up the radio (maybe I was looking at it upside down and backwards and didn't do the rotation correctly in my head), and then just failed to notice it later, having in the back of my mind "I already did that."

I could have sworn before this incident that I never fly without checking all control surface directions before every takeoff, but the picture says otherwise. So, I guess was in a hurry and didn't do it this particular time. Anyway, I shouldn't bother to tell y'all to "always check right before flying" because everybody knows that. But..... always check right before flying.

Worst of all, the Dear Leader's head was not found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kjuinplane.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	276851Click image for larger version

Name:	Destroyed.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	276852

Comment

• Soooo sorry Gringotuerto - But many of us have done this in the past for one reason or another. It's part of the RC plane hobby.

In my case, it was an F-4U Corsair, and I was surrounded by a crowd of kids....talking to them instead of concentrating on what I was doing.

Still hurts. I feel your pain.

-GG

Comment

• Been there done that ! Now I say to myself that even if the wiggly bits wiggle is it in the correct direction ?

Sorry and sad to see this happen to such a nice scale model -- never seems to happen on the beat up foamie trainer does it !.

Move on my friend ---------

Comment

• My heart just sank. So sorry.

Comment

• Ouch. :'(

Comment

• Bummer

Comment

• Oof, sorry to see mate. This hobby can be cruel.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                          Soooo sorry Gringotuerto
                          Thanks for the kind words everybody, but I'm fine. In fact, I just ordered another one and another set of batteries. And it turns out the Kim Jong Un who perished was only a body double! The REAL Kim Jong Un is rising out of the resin tank on my printer right now. Dear Leader is not so easily defeated, he will fly again!

Comment

• Maiden and two additional flights in the bag. She is a sweetheart to fly...sorry for your mishap Gringotuerto. I hate to hear that.

Comment

Looks great this far! I'm planning on twin X45 down the road too, but will be flying electric for the first season or so.

I would be worried about cg shift though. That forward tank is soooo far forward of the cg... Not having the jet yet, I obviously lack enough hands on study to know for sure, but hoping to cram in more/smaller tanks in the aft battery bay, the areas to the side of it, and directly behind it as far as the spar allows. Looking at cross sections from the 3D model, chainging some smaller tanks should make it possible to get 1.5 liters or so in there - far closer to cg.
                              Yeah roger that, and I've already taken that in consideration. Unfortunately the way the model is made the rear tank are can barely fit a 21oz tank and the center area option can only fit a smaller 12-14oz tank max and still have the ability to close the top canopy hatch. When flying with 2 X-45's you need at least a total of 48oz if you want to get 3-3.5 min of useful flight time. I have a total of 45oz. The fuel burn will be a lot lower as flying at half throttle will lengthen the total flight time by 40% or so. CG isn't an issue as the forward tank burns off first and and the rear last, so when it comes time for lading she will land slower and lighter than the EDF version. I'm using NO UAT, just s felt tip clink in the rear tank, and a regular clunk in the forward tank.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8978.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.3 KB ID:	276981Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8979.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	276982Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8980.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.2 KB ID:	276983

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Isn't that fwd fuel tank a bit too far from CG?
                                Yeah roger that, and I've already taken that in consideration. Unfortunately the way the model is made the rear tank are can barely fit a 21oz tank and the center area option can only fit a smaller 12-14oz tank max and still have the ability to close the top canopy hatch. When flying with 2 X-45's you need at least a total of 48oz if you want to get 3-3.5 min of useful flight time. The fuel burn will be a lot lower as flying at half throttle will lengthen the total flight time by 40% or so. CG isn't an issue as the forward tank burns off first and and the rear last, so when it comes time for lading she will land slower and lighter than the EDF version. I'm using NO UAT, just s felt tip clink in the rear tank, and a regular clunk in the forward tank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
                                  Sadly, the Dear Leader did not survive. Reversed ailerons. I am not quite sure what happened, but most likely I made an error when first setting up the radio (maybe I was looking at it upside down and backwards and didn't do the rotation correctly in my head), and then just failed to notice it later, having in the back of my mind "I already did that."

I could have sworn before this incident that I never fly without checking all control surface directions before every takeoff, but the picture says otherwise. So, I guess was in a hurry and didn't do it this particular time. Anyway, I shouldn't bother to tell y'all to "always check right before flying" because everybody knows that. But..... always check right before flying.

Worst of all, the Dear Leader's head was not found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kjuinplane.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	276851Click image for larger version

Name:	Destroyed.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	276852
                                  Nooo 😬

Unfortunately, this is a mistake it seems every single rc pilot is destined to do at least once in their career

Comment

• Originally posted by Scale Master View Post
                                    Yeah roger that, and I've already taken that in consideration. Unfortunately the way the model is made the rear tank are can barely fit a 21oz tank and the center area option can only fit a smaller 12-14oz tank max and still have the ability to close the top canopy hatch. When flying with 2 X-45's you need at least a total of 48oz if you want to get 3-3.5 min of useful flight time. I have a total of 45oz. The fuel burn will be a lot lower as flying at half throttle will lengthen the total flight time by 40% or so. CG isn't an issue as the forward tank burns off first and and the rear last, so when it comes time for lading she will land slower and lighter than the EDF version. I'm using NO UAT, just s felt tip clink in the rear tank, and a regular clunk in the forward tank.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_8978.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.3 KB ID:	276981Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_8979.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	276982Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_8980.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.2 KB ID:	276983
                                    Yeah definitely see the challenge.

I think you overestimate fuel consumption though. Unless you plan on hovering for the entire flight, a twin X45 setup will mostly fly between 10-40% throttle, in which case the fuel per minute is far lower

My twin P20 in my A-10 of similar weight gave me 5+ minutes from just 32oz total...

Normally I would say no uat being a bad idea, but having seen how ridiculous amounts of air this turbine can suck up without flaming out, I'm tempted to go without as well

Comment

• I have a Spektrum DX9 and the new Freewing MiG29. I am also a novice at this, so I apologize if this seems like a silly question. I was looking for details on how to set up the Aircraft type on the radio, as well as any other specific MiG29 radio settings. Can anyone point me to some online documentation? Thanks!

Comment

• Both your statement on skill level and the type of question you are asking leads me to post this online documentation.

Skill Level Intermediate/Advanced

Airplane type one aileron one flap. Tail type one elevator one rudder. This should be your radio's default. Set up The throws per the manual and add the type of expo you prefer.

Comment

• Originally posted by IFlyAtlanta View Post
                                          I have a Spektrum DX9 and the new Freewing MiG29. I am also a novice at this, so I apologize if this seems like a silly question. I was looking for details on how to set up the Aircraft type on the radio, as well as any other specific MiG29 radio settings. Can anyone point me to some online documentation? Thanks!
                                          There are probably plenty other pilots that have already setup and tested their MiGs on Spektrum by now. Most of the US pilots seem to fly on Spektrum these days, so should be plenty of help to get there. Only word of caution to keep in mind is that whatever percentage rates and expo others use depends on you having exactly the same physical setup as them (pushrods in same holes everywhere etc)

The absolutely best thing you could do is to get hands on help at your local club (combined with online tips if you have no other MiG pilots there)

And Evan is kinda right. If this is your first jet, definitely get help - as in local, hands on help, not just online.

Comment

Working...
                                          X