X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan B View Post
    Irrelevant, but what do those batteries weigh in at ?
    FYI. I also fly these in my Avanti and F-22, no issues. Around $75 bucks.

Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000mAh 6S 60C Lipo Pack w/XT-90
    Specs:
    Capacity: 5000mAh
    Configuration: 6S1P / 22.2v / 6 Cell
    Discharge: 60C / 120C (Burst)
    Weight: 838g
    Dimension: 146 x 51 x 57mm
    Charge Plug: JST-XH
    Discharge plug: XT-90
    Wire Gauge: 10AWG

[/QUOTE]

I run my Admiral Pro 6s 6000 (844g) one in back and one in middle 1.25" in front of tray edge and I'm a bit nose heavy. You would be similar I assume.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan B View Post
      Hey Guys,
      Lots of good feedback on my crash, just wanted to post another pic that shows the pre-crash location of my electronics and RX (AR620). I never had an electronic glitch before in all my years of flying, but looking at this setup now there is a LOT of spaghetti there with potential to be crash worthy. With the RX behind the battery it would be shadowed when the plane was flying towards me. Come to think of it, every MiG crash video I've seen is when the plane is flying towards the pilot. Hmm...

I had battery left after the crash (3.83v), but; Loss of RF signal due to proximity of battery? Electronic interference that could be resolved by additional RF chokes? Brownout? RX with additional satellites? Bypass blue box? Lots to ponder on my next build!
      Good point indeed.

How many satellites did your rx have when you crashed?

The rx position wouldn't be a concern in itself, but satellites are mandatory for all spektrum full range models imo - at least two in different axes.
      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Good point indeed.

How many satellites did your rx have when you crashed?

The rx position wouldn't be a concern in itself, but satellites are mandatory for all spektrum full range models imo - at least two in different axes.
        You cannot run satellites on an AR620.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper911 View Post

You cannot run satellites on an AR620.
          Then you cannot use that rx in a full range model.

Definitely solves the mystery of the crash anyway - which is obviously a good thing

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

Then you cannot use that rx in a full range model.

Definitely solves the mystery of the crash anyway - which is obviously a good thing
            Not true, the AR620 is a full-range DSMX receiver. I have several that I use in sport airplanes including sailplanes. Even at altitude and extreme distances with a sailplane I’ve never had a single issue with the AR620. I’ve used them since they were released.

Comment

• Could be language differences but "cannot" and "mandatory" are not appropriate when stating opinion. And not so "obvious" though it could be a possibility.

Comment

• I think the key in Dan's case was the RX was situated between the two batteries, and also surrounded by a bunch of wiring, which most likely caused a loss of signal when the plane was head on and maybe a little nose high. In this case I would have installed the RX in the forward battery tray (actually, that's exactly what I did on mine) with the antenna as far away from any wiring as possible.
                Pat

Comment

• With these big batteries and a ton of wiring, I always use satellites in all of my jets. Yes, the AR620 is a full range Receiver and supposedly better than even the "wired" receivers Spektrum has put out. Their quote. However, there is no capability to use satellites with this receiver and therein lies the problem... imo.
                  Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                    I think the key in Dan's case was the RX was situated between the two batteries, and also surrounded by a bunch of wiring, which most likely caused a loss of signal when the plane was head on and maybe a little nose high. In this case I would have installed the RX in the forward battery tray (actually, that's exactly what I did on mine) with the antenna as far away from any wiring as possible.
                    Placement is important, and I agree the forward tray would be a better location. That being said, looking at his location I wouldn’t be so sure to say that was the problem. I’ve seen some AR620’s recently in jets in far worse set ups with no issues. Again not the best practice, yet somehow they get away with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
                      With these big batteries and a ton of wiring, I always use satellites in all of my jets. Yes, the AR620 is a full range Receiver and supposedly better than even the "wired" receivers Spektrum has put out. Their quote. However, there is no capability to use satellites with this receiver and therein lies the problem... imo.
                      Some of these jets get tight. Almost like they don’t even think about the receiver.

Comment

• Not to be coy... but, maybe he didn't get away with it?

Comment

• We have one flying at my field with that receiver in the forward bay. I mentioned my concern but he's been flying it that way.

Comment

• All I know is that when it comes to spending money on these things I'll go the extra distance to be sure the whole thing works to my satisfaction in all areas. Maybe I overdo it, but it's my coin. If you think about it, how many full size jets have redundancy built into their systems? Be it hydraulic, electronic, etc. Pretty much all of them.

Comment

• One more point of reference, this is the set up in my Avanti. AR620 is about the same proximity from battery as my MiG. IF I conclude that the battery was a direct interference of the RF signal on the MiG and therefore lost the signal when it was flying towards me, then should I also expect my Avanti battery to block the signal when it is flying away from me and crash? I have over 85 flights on the Avanti (I mark my batteries each flight) with no issues. Maybe I just got away with it in the Avanti, but this is the reason I wasn't concerned using the same AR620 in the MiG. Yes it's also obvious the MiG has a $hitload of additional wires, and looking at the Avanti I also bypassed the control board. Many, many variables. Looking back now, of course I would do several things differently, but I'm still not ready to say 100% what the cause was. Appreciate everybody's opinions. Not trying to get into any debates, just sharing information so everybody can interpret it in a way that helps them.

Several valid points have been discussed, thanks to all.
                              Regards, Dan B

Comment

• I am in total agreement with that Amigo. Use this forum and your own good common sense for the best outcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post
                                  Not true, the AR620 is a full-range DSMX receiver. I have several that I use in sport airplanes including sailplanes. Even at altitude and extreme distances with a sailplane I’ve never had a single issue with the AR620. I’ve used them since they were released.
                                  The fact that Spektrum claims it is full range, and the fact that you haven't crashed yourself from radio glitches yet, doesn't make it a good idea. IMO.

All 2.4 GHz radio systems depend on good rx performance, spektrum as much as anyone.

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                  Could be language differences but "cannot" and "mandatory" are not appropriate when stating opinion. And not so "obvious" though it could be a possibility.
                                  Sorry, can't blame linguistics I'm afraid.

The risks of flying full range on DSMX with a single set of antennas is fact. The risk being even worse in an antennaless rx is likewise a fact.

Where to set the bar for how robust your radio system should be on the other hand, is opinion. That of your own as well as your authorities and insurance provider.

Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
                                  With these big batteries and a ton of wiring, I always use satellites in all of my jets. Yes, the AR620 is a full range Receiver and supposedly better than even the "wired" receivers Spektrum has put out. Their quote. However, there is no capability to use satellites with this receiver and therein lies the problem... imo.
                                  This.

Dan, again, sorry for your loss. My best advise would simply be that good rx setup is a must on spektrum (and any other radio system really). A single rx with builtin antennas may seem like a tempting choice, extremely easy to install etc, but it is very vulnerable since you have no dispersion of your antenna locations and thus very easily end up in the shadow of bulky batteries or other shielding materials such as CF. Arguably not the most common problem in foamies, but still something to keep in mind.

I don't fly spektrum on full range without at least 2 well placed satellites working different axes, preferably 3.

Comment

• Well, having used an internal-antena receiver pretty much settles the issue.
                                    Can't 100% blame it on the receiver with absolute confidence but it is probably safe to say that this was most likely the culprit here.

For a jet this size, I think (personal opinion) using redundant receivers (Something like the RX8Rs or using satellites at the very least) should be a must.

Comment

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post
                                      Mig-29 turbine startup, taxi, and shutdown.
                                      The Shockwave 3 system sounds INCREIDBLE in the new Mig-29 from Freewing! Over 116 aircraft sounds to select from and growing. Jets and props, modern to classic, this sound system has it all. I originally bought this set for my Draken kit, but swapped the sound on the card and will run it in my Mig-29 until my second Shockwave gets here. Loud and accurate startup, shutdown, afterburner, as well as gun and rocket sound options. This beautiful jet is so much more realistic with the sounds.

ordered mine today. I didnt see a place on the order to tell them which sound file to load. I emailed them as their customer service hours were Mon-Thurs.

I assume they will ask once they see the order.?

Also,
                                      What did you do to stage the Doors/Nose Gear Light to operate after your startup routine.

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
                                        All I know is that when it comes to spending money on these things I'll go the extra distance to be sure the whole thing works to my satisfaction in all areas. Maybe I overdo it, but it's my coin. If you think about it, how many full size jets have redundancy built into their systems? Be it hydraulic, electronic, etc. Pretty much all of them.
                                        Nothing wrong with that line of thinking. Good receivers of all types are not the expensive these days.

Comment

• Beautiful / light winds all day / took a day of vacation and headed out to fly at sunrise. Last flight done about 30 min before sunset. Took a lunch break but still got in 40 flights...all rock solid.

My set-up is (for comparison purposes):
                                          - Futaba 6 ch TX/RX / no satellites = not possible
                                          - UBEC 2-conductor extended so it sits in the right wing root by the rear battery
                                          ​​​- Receiver is mounted on the sidewall of the front bay as far forward as possible and still have room for one antenna straight to the nose and one 90 degrees pointing at the floor/wood battery plate
                                          - Admiral 6000 Pros
                                          - Middle bay and rear bay
                                          - RF chokes on all ESC wires and an extra choke placed on the green ring wire...I used 3 chokes
                                          - “Y” elevator wire supplied with the upgrade servos that bypasses the BB. But, everything else goes to the BB
                                          - New nose gear servo....solved my “iffy” nose gear retract issue

Timer set to 4 min....landing with about 30% and 3.7 volts or so. Mix of 1/2 throttle cruise and full power hot doggin’.

About 200 flights on her after today.

-GG

LOL - 3 4-bank chargers and 10 batteries....keep them rotating!

Comment

Working...
                                          X