X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by T- Elbert View Post
    I got in two flights on the new mig 29 this weekend. Using HRB 5000’s and a 1 1/2 ounce of nose weight. Both flights went very well although I will remove a half an ounce of weight for the next flight. I did not notice any negative tendencies but I have not really rung it out hard yet.
    I do like the size and large wheels. Very happy with it.
    Why add weight? Isn't there enough room in the top battery shelf for that battery to move forward enough to not need to add weight? HRB 5000s weigh 796g according to HRB. I fly mine with Gens Ace 5000's that weigh just over 700g and the plane balances just right.

Comment

• Looks like my flights will include a rear wide-angle camera view to document any control surface behavior with flight anomalies ...

Comment

• No I have the upper battery as far forward as I can get it , I even trimmed the hatch a bit to get more clearance .

Comment

• Originally posted by Falcondriver View Post
          I'm sure you've all seen this video as it started the whole issue with the servo rods being placed in the wrong hole (mine were not). If you look at the accident starting around 2:45, that is EXACTLY what my crash looked like:

https://youtu.be/QNALRsoyKaU
          Really sucks man. I have 7 flights now. First 4 with stock servos, last 3 with new updated units and bypassed blue box. Getting comfortable with it and starting to horse it around. CG on the factory mark, elevator high rate, aileron mid rate. I did some Split S hard pulls and I had to use a lot of elevator authority but never felt like I was running out. It seemed to have a soft spot transitioning out of the dive but that could just be the boogey man in my head. I can tell you though I pucker every time I pull a Split S at lower altitudes and power down wondering if it will go splat.

Comment

• I am new to the hobby squawk forums , but I am not new to the hobby. I have 13 motion EDF’s plus a lifetime of other RC planes.
            Alpha suggested I join squawk and participate. I have been reading the forums for a couple of years and there is some really good content.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lcacing View Post
              Here is an uncut video of yesterday’s 12th flight and first time without armament. My set up.

Tailerons mixed with small amount of ailerons
              Statically balances vertical stabs( @1oz of weight on each)
              RT5500 45c
              CC BEC Pro set at 5.6v
              Hitec servos on elevators (HS 5085)
              CG @ 15mm behind book CG ( I think could be moved back a few more mm) Elevator trim is about 1mm above bottom of fuse. Rx mounted in center bay
              BB moved to rear battery compartment.
              That's crazy your batteries are about the exact same place mine are yet your elevator is 1-2mm above the fuse edge and I am 3-4mm below. makes no sense. I'm running TP at 800g each and Admiral at 840g each.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper911 View Post

That's crazy your batteries are about the exact same place mine are yet your elevator is 1-2mm above the fuse edge and I am 3-4mm below. makes no sense. I'm running TP at 800g each and Admiral at 840g each.
                The RT 5500 45c only weigh 770grams plus I have 2oz of extra weight in the horizontal stabs. That’s why the CG is further back than yours. The further the CG is pushed back, the less up trim required.

Comment

• The battery sets about 37mm forward of the tray. When I use heavier batteries @800grams I push the battery back a bit more. Also I didn’t find the need to move batteries to adjust CG when flying with/without armament.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• I'm not understanding how mine ended up needing 5-6mm between the LE of the elevator and the fusealge with the cg on the mark and others reporting theirs needed no elevator trim? Unless their is a big fluctuation in weight distrubution from model to model from the factory.

Comment

I'm sure you've all seen this video as it started the whole issue with the servo rods being placed in the wrong hole (mine were not). If you look at the accident starting around 2:45, that is EXACTLY what my crash looked like:

https://youtu.be/QNALRsoyKaU
                      Right before impact ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame_00001.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	278850

Comment

• Originally posted by Lcacing View Post

The RT 5500 45c only weigh 770grams plus I have 2oz of extra weight in the horizontal stabs. That’s why the CG is further back than yours. The further the CG is pushed back, the less up trim required.
                        Ah, that makes more sense. I think having the elevator closer to the same plane as the wing is a good thing for lots of reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by leithalweapon View Post
                          I'm not understanding how mine ended up needing 5-6mm between the LE of the elevator and the fusealge with the cg on the mark and others reporting theirs needed no elevator trim? Unless their is a big fluctuation in weight distrubution from model to model from the factory.
                          More likely a big fluctuation in how correctly one CG's their plane

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            Why add weight? Isn't there enough room in the top battery shelf for that battery to move forward enough to not need to add weight? HRB 5000s weigh 796g according to HRB. I fly mine with Gens Ace 5000's that weigh just over 700g and the plane balances just right.
                            I had the same initial experience, granted I was a never going to use the HRB 5000’ but I could not get a satisfactory CG with them. My HRB’ weigh in at @735g and my Gens Ace 5000’ @ 740g. That was measuring at book CG, now that I’m considerably further back, they will probably work.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

Right before impact ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	frame_00001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.1 KB ID:	278850
                              Yeah, that was a pretty dramatic crash. My nose attitude was a bit shallower than that, I estimate about 5 degrees or so less than what you see there; but same exact no-frills lawn dart into the ground :-(

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper911 View Post

More likely a big fluctuation in how correctly one CG's their plane
                                I think that is less likely because the CG mark is manufactured into the wing.

Comment

Yeah, that was a pretty dramatic crash. My nose attitude was a bit shallower than that, I estimate about 5 degrees or so less than what you see there; but same exact no-frills lawn dart into the ground :-(
                                  Makes me wonder if throttle back would have made a difference. The servos pushing up-elevator would have placed the control rods under compression - wonder if they were flexing?

Maybe a thicker rod diameter, or carbon-fiber sheath to make sure they keep shape.

Comment

• I had 4 more flights today, 2 of them loaded up. no issues, great flyer and perfect landings.

Comment

•  

Comment

•  

Comment

•  

Comment

Working...
                                          X