Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah i ended up getting the dubro heavy duty servo horns. The ones to suit hitec are white, which is a bit odd, but they're solid.

Comment

• Originally posted by leithalweapon View Post
      Have any of the crashes on video seem like they were going slow? None of the first crashes in asia lookrd they were slow enough to stall with the nose level on the horizon.
      Agree. Justin's evaluation makes no sense.

Following his own logic, it is obvious and self-evident that he cannot voice an opinion on why did the other jets crash until he crashes his.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Following his own logic, it is obvious and self-evident that he cannot voice an opinion on why did the other jets crash until he crashes his.
        roflmao
        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Coming from 2 keyboard experts without a single minute on the model after more than 100 flights on mine. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Comment

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

Coming from 2 keyboard experts without a single minute on the model after more than 100 flights on mine. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
            If you don't get it by now, you never will.

And the biggest irony of all is that you just confirmed Alejandro's point perfectly... according to YOU, no one can have an educated, well founded opinion on something unless they have direct experience themselves. According to yourself, YOU can not have an opinion on why people crash - since you haven't got a single minute of crashing mig-29s under your belt... Yet.

Comment

• I definitely don't want you to become an expert on crashing the MiG-29 though, so please don't! :)
              On the other hand, feel free to join our ranks, it's beautiful to make the exercise to try and analyze things to predict what has not yet happened by extrapolating from facts and experience using method and logic...
              Come on, join us on the dark side!
              It's free, and we have cookies!

You just need to accept some basic common grounds really...
              Such as tolerating educated opinions by others that disagree with yours!

Comment

• That’s a car full of happiness right there! Great day of flying these toys today.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
                  That’s a car full of happiness right there! Great day of flying these toys today.
                  Ha-ha, a great day indeed . If you don’t mind me asking, what vehicle is that? The interior space is pretty massive and appears the seats fold flat as well (unless you took some out).

Comment

That’s a car full of happiness right there! Great day of flying these toys today.
                    Sweet!

Which F-100 is that? Fly fly?

Comment

• Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

If your right and it is just inexperience then we will se another cluster of crashes when the next batch gets in the air. Right?

Comment

• It’s the Flex Innovations F-100 and the vehicle is an Audi Q7. Prior to that I had a minivan which I feel is the ultimate plane carrier but my kids are grown now so I will happily live without it going forward.

Comment

• Excellent, thanks! It’s a great vehicle.

Comment

• Bears repeating I think based on my observations and experience flying this Mig.

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                            Here's my take on the whole "bad elevator servo" issue. I personally don't think the servos are bad, I think there is a combination of factors contributing to crashes, which are:
                            1. The geometry of the pushrod is not ideal. If you look at the F-22, the servo arm to control horn is at almost a perfect 90° angle. On the Mig, the pushrod is off that angle by about 10°. Having the control rod in the middle hole increases that angle. The reason I bring up the F-22 is that it has the same 17g MG servos on the elevators as the Mig. I fly my F-22 on 12S, and the servos handle the load just fine. But the F-22 has that ideal pushrod geometry.
                            2. People did not read the manual and put the control rod in the outer hole as indicated.
                            3. I think the initial crashes were also nose heavy. The manual states to install the forward battery tray and I think guys were just automatically assuming that you install the forward battery there. I don't know this for sure, but seems likely based on the videos I've seen.

I flew my first two flights with the original servos. It flew just fine as I had it set up properly. I now have the new servos in and have flown many more flights without issue.
                            And I'll add one other thing to this. I think the carbon tube over the pushrod is a great idea, but I think the inner diameter of the tube may be a little too big. It seems they wanted it big enough so that it also covers the control rod keeper, but it may still allow some flex in the control rod. I'm going to put some smaller diameter tube on mine to eliminate any flex, and put some shrink wrap over the keeper.
                            Pat

Comment

I'm definitely liking your MiG scheme more than the stock one!

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                Bears repeating I think based on my observations and experience flying this Mig.

And I'll add one other thing to this. I think the carbon tube over the pushrod is a great idea, but I think the inner diameter of the tube may be a little too big. It seems they wanted it big enough so that it also covers the control rod keeper, but it may still allow some flex in the control rod. I'm going to put some smaller diameter tube on mine to eliminate any flex, and put some shrink wrap over the keeper.
                                That carbon tube on the elevator control rod looks like an after thought. Like an attempt to correct an undersized control rod. A weak attempt at that. They used what they had on hand at the time.

Comment

That carbon tube on the elevator control rod looks like an after thought. Like an attempt to correct an undersized control rod. A weak attempt at that. They used what they had on hand at the time.
                                  I don't think it was an "after thought". The very same design was used on all SebArt MiG29's and who made those? Freewing. The SebArt MiG first came out 5 to 6 years ago. I have two of them. They are much smaller models and had much narrower tubes but they worked very well. They merely upsized the tubes for the bigger MiG. It's not a weak attempt. The concept works. Sure, there may be still a tiny bit of flex on the rod when there is a pushing force but that flex is limited to a very small amount. You see this method used on planes that have extremely long rod lengths. Take for example, the Parkzone/Eflite Radian. Those have rods that run from the battery compartment all the way back to the tail surfaces. They run those rods inside long tubes (sheaths), exposing only about a centimeter or so at each end. Horizon Hobby actually sell long rods and sheaths as spare parts and parts for homebuilt model planes. Rods inside sheaths are not uncommon and have proven themselves to be a viable solution to a situation where a longer than desired rod is used.

Comment

• Much better! This rod has an ID of 1.5mm, which fits the stock metal control rod perfectly. And this is a true carbon fiber tube, not fiberglass. Rock solid now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5620.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	279689
                                    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      I don't think it was an "after thought". The very same design was used on all SebArt MiG29's and who made those? Freewing. The SebArt MiG first came out 5 to 6 years ago. I have two of them. They are much smaller models and had much narrower tubes but they worked very well. They merely upsized the tubes for the bigger MiG. It's not a weak attempt. The concept works. Sure, there may be still a tiny bit of flex on the rod when there is a pushing force but that flex is limited to a very small amount. You see this method used on planes that have extremely long rod lengths. Take for example, the Parkzone/Eflite Radian. Those have rods that run from the battery compartment all the way back to the tail surfaces. They run those rods inside long tubes (sheaths), exposing only about a centimeter or so at each end. Horizon Hobby actually sell long rods and sheaths as spare parts and parts for homebuilt model planes. Rods inside sheaths are not uncommon and have proven themselves to be a viable solution to a situation where a longer than desired rod is used.
                                      Not sure what you mean about other models. I think you might be talking about the sheath used when the pushrod has to be long and routed through the fuselage. Those sheaths are mounted to the plane and the rod moves inside it. With the Mig 29 the tube is just there to prevent the rod from bending permanently. The sheath and rod move together.
                                      Now that I know they use this on other models, I will replace those too l If I buy one.

Comment

Not sure what you mean about other models. I think you might be talking about the sheath used when the pushrod has to be long and routed through the fuselage. Those sheaths are mounted to the plane and the rod moves inside it. With the Mig 29 the tube is just there to prevent the rod from bending permanently. The sheath and rod move together.
                                        Now that I know they use this on other models, I will replace those too l If I buy one.
                                        Like I said, "those other models" would be the SebArt MiG29, which uses the same design. In models such as the Radian, those sheaths are anchored on each end because the run is very long. In both the SebArt and this MiG, they aren't anchored because the run is not sufficiently long. However, the principle is still the same - to make the rod flex minimal and non-affectual. It is not a new concept and is not "an after thought".
                                        If you look carefully at that video, the bulk of the flex is in the servo arm.

Comment

• Received my Mig yesterday had quite a lot of damage to the packaging. The delivery driver had to wait for me to unpack it. Even though the holes had gone through the foam they managed to miss the parts of the jet. So all good. Will be a while before this gets in the air as I have a Super Viper and an Avanti on the bench at the moment. Sent for the bits to strengthen the controls at the tail end. Hope they iron out the real cause of the crashes before I maiden. I will do some extensive testing of all components before it fly's.

Comment

Working...
                                          X