Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a comment on YouTube to the publisher of the video asking why he had flaps down on his high speed pass and his response was: "I did not have flaps down for a high speed pass...they went down from inertia...no one does a high speed pass with flaps down flaps are for slowing the plane down"

...do with this as you wish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skosh25 View Post
      I made a comment on YouTube to the publisher of the video asking why he had flaps down on his high speed pass and his response was: "I did not have flaps down for a high speed pass...they went down from inertia...no one does a high speed pass with flaps down flaps are for slowing the plane down"

Then why didn't the ailerons also go down? They are in the same "plane" (the other plane) as the flaps and should have been subjected to the same forces. "No one does", at least not on purpose. I've done my fair share of flying around with take off flaps deployed because I forgot to suck them up, just like some people fly around with the gear hanging down the whole flight because they just didn't think to flip the switch and they don't even see them down (mental block). Oh well, we will never know for sure. The guessing continues.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Then why didn't the ailerons also go down? They are in the same "plane" (the other plane) as the flaps and should have been subjected to the same forces. "No one does", at least not on purpose. I've done my fair share of flying around with take off flaps deployed because I forgot to suck them up, just like some people fly around with the gear hanging down the whole flight because they just didn't think to flip the switch and they don't even see them down (mental block). Oh well, we will never know for sure. The guessing continues.
        Yip, I have done the same thing with flaps. Was farting around testing slow speed flight with flaps and gear down on my MIG-21 once at altitude and retracted the gear but forgot to suck the flaps back up. Fighting with trim issues when I went back to full power and when I went to flip the flap switch to land realized the whole flight I had flaps down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
          Congrats on maiden!
          Also good landing and... 6 min 10 seconds flight, not bad! :)
          What were the battery cells voltage after the flight?
          Thanks, here are excerpts from the telemetry of the two flights. Note that I did a brief taxi run before the maiden with the same battery. RoaringTop 6s 5000mAh 25C.

Upon landing after the 6 min maiden, less than 3700 mAH were consumed, voltage according to cell checker was 3,73V.

Spannung = Voltage
          Strom = Current
          Kapazität = Capacity

Click image for larger version  Name:	Maiden Stock Fans incl V.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.8 KB ID:	281341

Click image for larger version  Name:	Second Flight_First High Speed Runs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	281342

Comment

• Guys - the flap theory makes total sense to me. I really think someone should test that out at high altitude
            I had no elevator authority issues so far. The only thing I experienced was a bit of "non-linearity" in elevator response, that's the only way I can explain it. It went away when I upgraded the pushrods to stronger rods.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
              "No one does", at least not on purpose.
              Actually, wrong! :)
              Not to be a smartass but here's something you probably didn't know:
              Many fighter jets perform the high speed flybies at airshows with flaps deployed (Particularly, F-22 and Su-57).
              I assume they do that to force a lot of drag so that they don't accidentally break the sound barrier over the crowd.

Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
              Upon landing after the 6 min maiden, less than 3700 mAH were consumed, voltage according to cell checker was 3,73V.
              That's fantastic, thank you! :)

Originally posted by xviper View Post
              Not that I'm subscribing. I just don't get why some YouTubers are so desperate to get people to subscribe. They'll never get to the point where they'll make a living from it. Or do they really need people to "like" them?
              Irrespectively of what I think about that guy, you should consider that making these videos is a ton of work, and is expensive, more so when they are tried to be done 'properly'.

Giving support and subscribing to the guys that take their time, effort and money to bring this content and hopefully popularize the Hobby so it doesn't die off in the next few decades should at least deserve some more respect on your part.

And making a living out of it, FYI, is entirely possible, albeit extremely hard.

As for why YouTubers want people to subscribe, you would know if you dedicated any sort of effort to it. When one pours time and love into a thing, you kinda want it to reach the greatest number of people possible, and the way YT works, you need people to sub, like and share to get the YT algorithm cogs turning.

This is very off topic, but I hope I gave you a different point of view and you don't treat people on YouTube with such scorn the next time you consider bringing up the theme. (Even the bad ones, lol)

Comment

• A recent documentary video covering Mig-29.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                  Guys - the flap theory makes total sense to me. I really think someone should test that out at high altitude
                  I had no elevator authority issues so far. The only thing I experienced was a bit of "non-linearity" in elevator response, that's the only way I can explain it. It went away when I upgraded the pushrods to stronger rods.
                  X2 for me as well on what felt like a soft spot but was cured with upgrading the elevator pushrods.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                    Guys - the flap theory makes total sense to me. I really think someone should test that out at high altitude
                    Grey skies have cleared here in Oklahoma and I am charging 4 sets of batteries and will be going out to test in a couple of hours. That is unless I chicken out.

;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Skosh25 View Post
                      I made a comment on YouTube to the publisher of the video asking why he had flaps down on his high speed pass and his response was: "I did not have flaps down for a high speed pass...they went down from inertia...no one does a high speed pass with flaps down flaps are for slowing the plane down"

Sounds just like the same line of response we got when several of us tried to make him understand how nose heavy the marks are.

In all fairness, I have nowhere near good enough resolution to make any hard claims on flap usage in that crash, but I agree that it certainly looks that way

Would that be a cause though? Doubtful
                      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post

Grey skies have cleared here in Oklahoma and I am charging 4 sets of batteries and will be going out to test in a couple of hours. That is unless I chicken out.

;-)
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post

Hangar rash? Meh. That's why I repaint them. I usually do more damage than hangar rash, the way I land them anyway so it's easy to repair since I already have the paint. ;)

I'd like to recommend a new burner on the market. (At least it's new to me.) I believe I've tried them all except Kallend's do-it-yourself kit. This one is right up there in the running for half the price of some that are out there. I thought I'd give this setup a try from RC-Castle. $50 for the complete setup and very nicely designed. Very bright as well. Takes about 3 weeks to get to the US via Air Mail but I think it's worth the wait. The single engine setups are even cheaper. It even has the slight flicker before going to continuous illumination simulating the ignition of the afterburner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4306.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	279831
                          Is that the CYCLONE POWER 36MM CENTERBURNER LIGHTING SYSTEM FOR FREEWING MIG-29 TWIN 80MM EDF JET?

How does it attach to the motor can?

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Actually, wrong! :)
                            Not to be a smartass but here's something you probably didn't know:
                            Many fighter jets perform the high speed flybies at airshows with flaps deployed (Particularly, F-22 and Su-57).
                            I assume they do that to force a lot of drag so that they don't accidentally break the sound barrier over the crowd.

Irrespectively of what I think about that guy, you should consider that making these videos is a ton of work, and is expensive, more so when they are tried to be done 'properly'.

Giving support and subscribing to the guys that take their time, effort and money to bring this content and hopefully popularize the Hobby so it doesn't die off in the next few decades should at least deserve some more respect on your part.

And making a living out of it, FYI, is entirely possible, albeit extremely hard.

As for why YouTubers want people to subscribe, you would know if you dedicated any sort of effort to it. When one pours time and love into a thing, you kinda want it to reach the greatest number of people possible, and the way YT works, you need people to sub, like and share to get the YT algorithm cogs turning.

This is very off topic, but I hope I gave you a different point of view and you don't treat people on YouTube with such scorn the next time you consider bringing up the theme. (Even the bad ones, lol)
                            Actually, that's NOT necessarily wrong. Those are NOT high speed fly by's. Those are controlled higher speed fly by's. A real military jet can easily do higher speed fly by's WITHOUT coming anywhere close to the speed of sound, with or without flaps.
                            Besides, we were NOT talking about any full sized jets. We were discussing RC planes (particularly this Mig), which no one purposely runs full throttle, full speed passes with flaps deployed. Your analogy here is incorrect and irrelevant.

I do NOT share your "point of view" on this topic, although you are entitled to have it. I do not know this guy. This guy does NOT know me. Nobody put a gun to his head to make those videos. He does it on his own accord for his own reasons. As for this hobby "dying off"? You're kidding, right? I started in this hobby some 50+ years ago when there was no such thing as YouTube or social media. The hobby never died off. In fact, it got bigger and bigger even before YouTube came along. "How I treat people on YouTube"? Again, you're kidding, right? I did NOT subscribe. I did NOT "like" or "dislike". I didn't "treat" him in any way at all. "To get the YT algorithm cogs turning?" There is absolutely NO obligation for me or anyone to turn the YT cogs. That is an asinine view of it. As far as "respect", by NOT giving recognition to a total stranger on the internet that I have no interaction with is disrespect? Wow! You live in a whole other make belief world, don't you? Sorry, but I will no longer be reading any more of your posts (ignore list is a wonderful thing). Your posts were weird right from the moment you stormed onto this forum and they have become weirder and weirder. And NO, I won't be subscribing to your channel either and that's NOT being disrespectful. That's just being nothing at all. Good Bye!

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper911 View Post

Is that the CYCLONE POWER 36MM CENTERBURNER LIGHTING SYSTEM FOR FREEWING MIG-29 TWIN 80MM EDF JET?

How does it attach to the motor can?
                              The inrunner LEDs just slide over the end of the can (pic attached is an FMS). They come with grub screws to secure them but they have a decent enough interference fit that it's really not needed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post

The inrunner LEDs just slide over the end of the can (pic attached is an FMS). They come with grub screws to secure them but they have a decent enough interference fit that it's really not needed.
                                Thx Shag

Comment

That's looking nice! And indeed much cheaper than the set I was planning to buy. But the set only contains one controller, right? So both burners will light up identically? I would like to have them flicker independently, to make it look less artificial.

Comment

• That's correct. If you want asynchronous behaviour, you're looking at something like the arduino based setup I have on the Mig:

(apologies to xviper for posting my own youtube links lol)

I understand rcgeek's controllers can do this, im not sure about the other guys.

Comment

That's correct. If you want asynchronous behaviour, you're looking at something like the arduino based setup I have on the Mig:

I understand rcgeek's controllers can do this, im not sure about the other guys.
                                      Yes, I know about rcgeeks. Have it in my Avanti and was planning to buy it for the Mig. But it's so expensive compared to the Cyclone. I saw that rc-castle also sells the controller as a separate item. Maybe I could use this extra controller to get the async behaviour. I could even connect them on separate channels on my receiver to have more programming freedom.

Comment

• Originally posted by PieterO View Post

Yes, I know about rcgeeks. Have it in my Avanti and was planning to buy it for the Mig. But it's so expensive compared to the Cyclone. I saw that rc-castle also sells the controller as a separate item. Maybe I could use this extra controller to get the async behaviour. I could even connect them on separate channels on my receiver to have more programming freedom.
                                        That's reckless use of a spare channel lol, but yes it would get the job done.

Comment

That's correct. If you want asynchronous behaviour, you're looking at something like the arduino based setup I have on the Mig:

No need to do that. Your YT vids are educational and interesting and show stuff I want to see. Plus, you don't seem to get all worked up if I don't subscribe or hit "like". I guess you're just content with the simple things in life.

Comment

Working...
                                          X