Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully we get some sort of acknowledgment from MRC that the issue is real and not just typical statistically acceptable accident rate for a new release. Usually with a new model I gain more confidence with every flight. With this one however I get more nervous. 14 flights on it with no issues but still have anxiety every flight until it's back on the Earth in one piece.

Comment

• There's another loss of elevator authority crash being reported on RCGroups this morning. Looks like identical symptoms to the others.

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action"; Auric Goldfinger, in Goldfinger by Ian Fleming.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

So much remains unknown at this point. We’ll have REAL data when Firebird installs the HACKER servos and looks at the telemetry data they provide. Pretty much conjecture until then.

-GG
        I’m on it. The telemetry servos will arrive tomorrow afternoon.

Exchanged the nose tires meanwhile with JP Hobby 45mm:

Comment

• Remember that while Motion, specifically Alpha has some input, this is a Free Wing produced aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebird View Post
            We will find out soon what is actually really going on with the signal strength and voltage at the elevator servos. I just ordered Hacker telemetrie servos which are sending telemetrie data about signal strength, voltage at the servo, torque load, temperatur, blockade and overload live to the TX where the data gets recorded.
            Do you have a systematic flight test program in mind? Just randomly collecting data may not tell very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              Remember that while Motion, specifically Alpha has some input, this is a Free Wing produced aircraft.
              Correct, but Motion is their largest distributor and our primary conduit into FW for voice of customer feedback and comms overall. Has anyone ever heard from FW directly? I was one of the many people Alpha personally called about the servos, which was a very impressive customer experience. Kind of surprised there hasn't been some sort of statement, even such as "we're aware of the similarities in these crashes and are monitoring the feedback and working on a root cause analysis".

Comment

Remember that while Motion, specifically Alpha has some input, this is a Free Wing produced aircraft.
                Alpha is the senior designer/engineer for Freewing as far as I understand it.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                  There's another loss of elevator authority crash being reported on RCGroups this morning. Looks like identical symptoms to the others.

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action"; Auric Goldfinger, in Goldfinger by Ian Fleming.
                  Yeah unfortunately it means my maiden is postponed until this is figured out. Far too many more or less identical crashes in a situation that is completely undramatic in every way. No stall, no high g, no great range, nothing. Way too much to be coincidence.

Wish Alpha would chime in soon. There is clearly a conseptual problem here
                  Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Do you have a systematic flight test program in mind? Just randomly collecting data may not tell very much.
                    I will compere the signal quality and voltage at the elevator servo. One time connected to the stock setup and one time connected to my upgraded and rerouted elevator servo cable.
                    Both with and without running the impellers same time.

No flying required for this servo impulse signal and voltage check.

Comment

I will compere the signal quality and voltage at the elevator servo. One time connected to the stock setup and one time connected to my upgraded and rerouted elevator servo cable.
                      Both with and without running the impellers same time.

No flying required for this servo impulse signal and voltage check.
                      Please also consider adding a simulated load on the elevators, too.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Please also consider adding a simulated load on the elevators, too.

-GG
                        Copied, will do

Comment

• Check them for voltage drop too. Maybe the load is causing a brownout on the elevator servos due to the long wires? Maybe adding small cap pack at the back like those used on gyros would stop it, or inline voltage booster etc.

Comment

• Would this work? I have hitec D85mg’s in mine.

Comment

I’m on it. The telemetry servos will arrive tomorrow afternoon.

Exchanged the nose tires meanwhile with JP Hobby 45mm:
                              That looks much better. Where did you order them?
                              What do you have on the mains?

Thanks

Comment

• Are they the same wheels I’m seeing on fanjetsusa.com?

Comment

• Guess not. After looking back at your photo Firebird,I noticed that the bolt pattern is different.

Comment

• Another three flights today, 28... Never going to match GG.

Comment

• I started a poll for those that have crashed a BIG MiG.

Comment

Another three flights today, 28... Never going to match GG.
                                        As long as they were good / fun flights, nobody is counting!

Glad you had good flights!

-GG

Comment

I started a poll for those that have crashed a BIG MiG.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d-a-FW-Big-Mig
                                          It says poll closed. Anyway, I'm sure why mine crashed - I was stupid! Case closed. New higher-torque brain still on backorder.

Comment

Working...
                                          X