Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree xviper

Comment

• Interesting that a couple people have posted that Motion and or FW will do this and that including stopping production but there is a nothing on Motions web site and you can still buy one...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
        Interesting that a couple people have posted that Motion and or FW will do this and that including stopping production but there is a nothing on Motions web site and you can still buy one...
        They gotta sell what they have in stock first. It's a business.

Comment

• Now it's out of stock.

Comment

• Motion's site does say this plane is "out of stock", so you can't buy one at the moment. You can, however, still buy one at RC Castle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
              What's important is that MRC and FW listened and they took action-big credit to them. I look forward to seeing a better version of this Mig 29 take to the skies hopefully in the near future
              So, if they "took action", why can't they make an official announcement then, for example on this thread, even if it were just "we're really working on this"? Where are all the posters from MRC? And by the way, if we're really are going to see a better version, which I also expect, what about the airworthiness of the current version?

So MRC should post here and on RCG and elsewhere and answer two simple questions:
              1. Is the MiG airworthy according to MRC/FW's own judgement in the current version?
              2. What are you currently doing to investigate the crash situation and possible remedies?
              Then they can have credit from me. Frantically working in the dark, trying to come up with a fix for a possibly broken product while stopping most communication to the unsettled clients does not impress me.

Comment

• Some people will never be satisfied. Or they just like the drama.

Comment

• I flew my Mig-29 again today. It flies great. I think is the best FW jet I have flown, I think is is better than the Avanti for me. Its really a blast to fly. I like it better because it is bigger and presents well when flying.

I moved the CG back to 160mm and have 3mm reflex on flaps and ailerons. With the CG back to 160mm it flies even better now. Take off rotation is very smooth and the airborne CG check with 45 degree upline and roll to inverted showed a very gentle pitch to the canopy, much better than before. Landings are very easy and I can get a very long full flare with touchdown on the mains with nose wheel in the air. I really think the trick is to get the CG back far enough plus the reflex really helps get the trim setting more near the stab neutral. My trim setting is shown with the LE of the stab about 3/8" above the bottom of the fuse edge. Also I think the stock and replacement stab servos are no where near strong enough and need to be upgraded.

Its really a great airframe.

Gary

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8825.jpg Views:	38 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	287133Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8827.jpg Views:	41 Size:	121.6 KB ID:	287134Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8838.PNG Views:	35 Size:	261.2 KB ID:	287135Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8768.jpg Views:	35 Size:	51.9 KB ID:	287136

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by viper1gj View Post
                    I moved the CG back to 160mm and have 3mm reflex on flaps and ailerons.
                    That's about 20mm further than the marks. I have my batteries as far as they will go without removing any foam and not touching the blue box. It just balances at 10mm further. Did you move the BB or add weight to the tail to achieve your balance?
                    I've read it somewhere but can't remember the reason why now. What is the rationale for the small bit of reflex in the flaps?

Comment

• The PNP has been out of stock since they sold them all. The kit+ is still in stock...

By ya’ll reckoning that means the kit+ doesn’t have a problem?

I understand that it’s a business... so are they selling them or not pending resolution...

Comment

• I guess the kit version is OK because in its out of the box state, it can't fly, so no chance of crashing. Then, once the end user puts in their own power system, it's been modified and we all know that as soon as you do a modification (unauthorized), there is no longer any implied warranty.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          That's about 20mm further than the marks. I have my batteries as far as they will go without removing any foam and not touching the blue box. It just balances at 10mm further. Did you move the BB or add weight to the tail to achieve your balance?
                          I've read it somewhere but can't remember the reason why now. What is the rationale for the small bit of reflex in the flaps?
                          Hi xviper - A likely history of the flap/reflex: I posted many moons ago that my flap push rod was a bit too long. Rather than modify it, I adjusted it as best as possible and ended up with about 2 mm of up/reflex flap. It flew well...no trim change with throttle change. Then some MiG owners took this and also adjusted their ailerons to match. I didn't reflex my ailerons, yet.

Anyway, that's how I think the flap reflex discussions got started. It does seem to be a good thing. I like the effects it has.

-GG

Comment

Or....stick a fuel turbine back in the rear.

That'll do the trick, too.

-GG

Comment

• Someone on RCG posted some 3DP nozzles. Clever design that fits over the stock foam so no chance of disrupting the thrust line. A welcome modification as mine were looking a little worse for wear after an unplanned belly landing and tail sitting between flights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201122_120814.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	287159 ​​​​​​

Comment

xviper, mine is a turbine converson and I moved everything. However, that doesn't matter. The CG needs to be 15-20mm aft of the marks to make this thing fly correctly. I first flew it at 15 mm aft of the mark and it was ok but still nose heavy and now I have moved the CG back to 160 mm. If I was flying it as an EDF I would put weight under the speed brake or nozzles till I got it right. The jet will fly just fine and the extra weight needed to get the CG correct will not be noticed. In fact, I bet it will feel lighter and fly much better.

I don't really know how the reflex works, but it does improve the trim setting on the stab. I assume it de-cambers the wing and makes less drag. That along with the CG closer to the neutral point makes this a really fun plane to fly and land. My landings were much easier to flare and touch down on the mains than before. I can't even image how poor it would land if the CG was at 140-150 mm. I didn't even try there based on all the reports in the forums. IMO is really a good airframe and properly balanced it flies great. I have a pitot tube for indicated airspeed. My normal speeds are 60-80 mph and rarely exceed 100 in a dive with reduced thrust. I use flight modes trimmed for half flaps and full flaps and normally am flying final approach around 40-45mph. Touch down is 30-35mph. I have not flown fast with flaps extended and don't plan to.

Get it balanced right and you will love the way it flies.
                                Gary

Comment

• Hi Gary,
                                  What altitude and temperatures are you indicating these airspeeds? I would like to roughly calculate the approximate true airspeeds. Some have reported GPS-measured speeds in the range of 125 mph when level and full throttle.

-GG

Comment

• Lots of things to do this winter, besides waiting for the VT nozzles and seeing what Motion and FW will come up with as they investigate stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                      Hi Gary,
                                      What altitude and temperatures are you indicating these airspeeds? I would like to roughly calculate the approximate true airspeeds. Some have reported GPS-measured speeds in the range of 125 mph when level and full throttle.

-GG
                                      Hey gg - just installed a pitot tube for this exact purpose, also to try and get a sense of 'safe' airspeeds for flap deployment. Hoping to get out to the field on Wednesday PM to give it a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201117_170105.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	287178

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post

Hey gg - just installed a pitot tube for this exact purpose, also to try and get a sense of 'safe' airspeeds for flap deployment. Hoping to get out to the field on Wednesday PM to give it a try.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201117_170105.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	287178
                                        Excellent!!

Can you call a local airport or station (or check via Internet) and obtain the data needed to calculate TAS when you fly? Thanks!

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	3196A44F-B080-44D3-9655-CECE93CF8A27.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	287183

Comment

• There is a RAAF base and bureau of meteorology weather site in the area so that shouldnt be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                          X