X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by krakenreleaser View Post
    Re-maidened mine over the weekend after my re-paint. Moved the CG back to 165mm and I won't be looking back.
    Video of the painting/airbrushing process for those who are interested:
    How did it fly at 165mm?

Great painting video. I learned lots looking at it. What was the narrow blue and green tape you used on the edges of the masked off parts?
    Thanks,
    Gary

Comment

• Thank you much. I loved the way it flew at 165mm. I was able to remove at least 10 clicks of up elevator trim. Inverted flight was a breeze.

Both masking tapes were bought on Amazon. Basically knock off Tamiya tape:

Comment

Re-maidened mine over the weekend after my re-paint. Moved the CG back to 165mm and I won't be looking back.

Video of the painting/airbrushing process for those who are interested:

Repaint of the Freewing Mig 29 "Fulcrum" twin 80mm EDF jet. This project called for a mixture of rattle cans and airbrush. As always, the airbrush colors a...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover-Mig-29SMT-Splinter-Camo-32nd-Site.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	287552

Comment

• Great skills, looks amazing.

Watched the Bajora flight further back in this thread, on landing the plane clearly was not in the sweet spot for balance. Instead of settling in for landing the pilot was needing to keep the nose up with a lot of elevator and the plane wants to keep its speed, in my opinion touches harder than it needs to as a result. If the plane was balanced and trimmed right it would settle into a slight nose up attitude near hands off and allow throttle to control decent. Instead its a battle not to pick up airspeed in the video, would not work well in my grass strip.

Top tip for making the elevator servo pockets bigger take a old flat xacto blade and heat it HOT, use that to melt the plastic servo pocket like butter. takes a few heat cycles to do the job but way better than trying to cut it larger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raydar View Post
            Watched the Bajora flight further back in this thread, on landing the plane clearly was not in the sweet spot for balance. Instead of settling in for landing the pilot was needing to keep the nose up with a lot of elevator and the plane wants to keep its speed, in my opinion touches harder than it needs to as a result. If the plane was balanced and trimmed right it would settle into a slight nose up attitude near hands off and allow throttle to control decent. Instead its a battle not to pick up airspeed in the video, would not work well in my grass strip.
            Big +1
            Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• I have the 4075-1250kv inrunner in the 8s f-16. Motion rc keeps sending me a totally plastic fan 12 blade which they tell me to drill out to fit my motor.
              mtr shaft 5mm, new plastic fan 6mm, adaptor for my old fan 8mm. Safety issues abound. Anyone have thoughts or a new old 12 blade with metal hub?

Comment

• I have the 4075-1250kv inrunner in the 8s f-16. Motion rc keeps sending me a totally plastic fan 12 blade which they tell me to drill out to fit my motor.
                mtr shaft 5mm, new plastic fan 6mm, adaptor for my old fan 8mm. Safety issues abound. Anyone have thoughts or a new old 12 blade with metal hub?

Comment

• I use the RCG classifieds for things... A lot more traffic there and they have a EDF specific section.

Comment

• Thank you, GI

Comment

• Inverted flat spins!

Comment

• So fun watching you wring the Mig out the other weekend. And 6 minute flight time, incredible!
                        Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                          So fun watching you wring the Mig out the other weekend. And 6 minute flight time, incredible!
                          Yeah the flight time of that model really impresses me too.

Fair enough, flying 6 minutes the way Brent flies IS necessarily pushing the batteries a fair bit, but still, impressive as hell.

Flying a fair bit calmer, but still mixed, I have had 6 minutes of throttle time and landed at 3.8 cells.

So even flying hard, and being very conservative with batteries, 4+ minutes is definitely a safe expectation - which is really good for an EDF after all.
                          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                            Did you change rates between 2nd and 3rd flight?
                            Gyro was in the same state in all the 3 flights?

Love that scheme!
                            no changes in the rates between flights 2 & 3 and gyro was all the same in all my flights

I found the problem meanwhile: since I used all my receiver channels already I had to use the second elevator port on my HobbyEagle gyro (internal Y & reverse option) but after trimming the plane it will remember the trims on 1 elevator port only creating a difference in the next flight. I will need to put the trims back to neutral after the trim flight and use the internal trims option of the gyro.

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

That is odd. Do you have both signals on one channel, or two independent channels driving the two elevator halves? Regarding the large trim change...I'm assuming you put the same batteries in the same place as previous trim flights?
                              it was my gyro!

Since I used all my receiver channels already I had to use the second elevator port on my HobbyEagle gyro (internal Y & reverse option) but after trimming the plane it will remember the trims on 1 elevator port only creating a difference in the next flight. I will need to put the trims back to neutral after the trim flight and use the internal trims option of the gyro.

Comment

• [QUOTE=nuts-n-volts;n287474]
                                Originally posted by Icarus the 2nd View Post
                                Maiden flight and 2 more flights done today. Had a strange problem though in the 3rd flight. Here's the vid from that 3rd flight.

Just a guess. Is it possible one of the servos skipped a gear tooth?
                                it was my gyro!

Since I used all my receiver channels already I had to use the second elevator port on my HobbyEagle gyro (internal Y & reverse option) but after trimming the plane it will remember the trims on 1 elevator port only creating a difference in the next flight. I will need to put the trims back to neutral after the trim flight and use the internal trims option of the gyro.

Comment

• Originally posted by viper1gj View Post
                                  I flew my Mig-29 again today. It flies great. I think is the best FW jet I have flown, I think is is better than the Avanti for me. Its really a blast to fly. I like it better because it is bigger and presents well when flying.

I moved the CG back to 160mm and have 3mm reflex on flaps and ailerons. With the CG back to 160mm it flies even better now. Take off rotation is very smooth and the airborne CG check with 45 degree upline and roll to inverted showed a very gentle pitch to the canopy, much better than before. Landings are very easy and I can get a very long full flare with touchdown on the mains with nose wheel in the air. I really think the trick is to get the CG back far enough plus the reflex really helps get the trim setting more near the stab neutral. My trim setting is shown with the LE of the stab about 3/8" above the bottom of the fuse edge. Also I think the stock and replacement stab servos are no where near strong enough and need to be upgraded.

Its really a great airframe.

Gary

When you say "3mm reflex on flaps and ailerons" are you saying that you have flaps and ailerons angled up 3mm from neutral with no stick input?

Comment

• Yes. Just turn each flap and aileron ball link out one turn..

Comment

Thank you much. I loved the way it flew at 165mm. I was able to remove at least 10 clicks of up elevator trim. Inverted flight was a breeze.

Both masking tapes were bought on Amazon. Basically knock off Tamiya tape:

Thanks for the amazon links!

Comment

• Originally posted by dsmithwc04 View Post

When you say "3mm reflex on flaps and ailerons" are you saying that you have flaps and ailerons angled up 3mm from neutral with no stick input?
                                        Yes, I ran my aileron up the thickness of the trailing edge measured at the wing tip and just matched the flap to the aileron. Not real scientific but it seemed to work good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post
                                          Inverted flat spins!

https://youtu.be/DtqNb79EQy4
                                          Can you tell me your approximate CG? Also, what AB lights are you using and what battery does it require?
                                          Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X