First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'd need two gyro's, correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      How can you do standard elevators and TVs with 6?
      I don't do "tailerons", as stated in my last sentence of post #3806. So ...........................................

1. throttle
      2. AIL
      3. ELE (left and right TV nozzles ganged together and then Y'd to elevator channel
      4. Rudder (rudder TV nozzle Y'd to rudder channel, along with nose steering). I've got the Assan nose steering gyro hooked up so the steering is defeated when nose gear is up.
      5. Gear
      6. Flaps

TV nozzles in both ELE and RUD are live all the time.
      Adding gyro is easy. The gyro goes between the RX and the servo leads. Gyro operates TV nozzles in ELE, along with the regular elevators and whatever functional gain there is for RUD. I don't recall but it is possible (and I'm not saying it is in this case) that servo reverser(s) may be required.

PS. This is the similar thing I've done with my Gripen (with VT and gyro). It requires X-linking the canards with the elevons. Gyro works on them all the time.
      PPS. I don't feel the need for switching the VT nozzles off. I adjust my flying style and technique to suit the set up.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        I don't do "tailerons", as stated in my last sentence of post #3806. So ...........................................

1. throttle
        2. AIL
        3. ELE (left and right TV nozzles ganged together and then Y'd to elevator channel
        4. Rudder (rudder TV nozzle Y'd to rudder channel, along with nose steering). I've got the Assan nose steering gyro hooked up so the steering is defeated when nose gear is up.
        5. Gear
        6. Flaps

Adding gyro is easy. The gyro goes between the RX and the servo leads. Gyro operates TV nozzles in ELE, along with the regular elevators and whatever functional gain there is for RUD. I don't recall but it is possible (and I'm not saying it is in this case) that servo reverser(s) may be required.

PS. This is the similar thing I've done with my Gripen (with VT and gyro). It requires X-linking the canards with the elevons. Gyro works on them all the time.
        PPS. I don't feel the need for switching the VT nozzles off. I adjust my flying style and technique to suit the set up.
        My suggestion is to set up the gyro in "delta' or 'elevon" mode (all the rest stays the same) but the gyro drives the TV nozzles. You'd then have normal, non-taileron elevators, as you wish, but pitch, yaw and roll on the TV nozzles.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post

1. throttle
          2. AIL
          5. Gear
          6. Flaps

My original plan was to y the elevator servos of the TV nozzles together an put that on ch 7 and y the rudder servos of the TV and put that on ch 8 and then do the mixing on a switch. Don't really care about having aileron functionality on TV. My plan was foiled however by the TV nozzles moving in opposite directions on the elevator axis when y'd together. Since spectrum specifically warns against using inline servo reversers I'll need a new approach. I may just pull one of the servos for the TV, flip it 180° and adjust the length of the pushrod. No rush though as flying weather in the north east is still pretty crappy.

Comment

• Just got back from the morning's flight. Wanted to report that I had a crappy landing and a subsequent crash. Just a bit of a bounce on touchdown that I wasn't happy with. Powered up to go around and caught the "dance". I didn't think the nose was too high or the plane too slow, but it obviously was. Down input wasn't happening. Tried to work throttle to let it down easy on the tail but it fell off to the right and the right tip and nose took the brunt.

2 things. I had the batteries back at the rearward cg. Earlier in the flight I noticed I needed only the tiniest bit of down on the slow roll. (The roll completed over 500') I had not yet pulled the nozzles and re-positioned them for more down thrust like I had planned. I have had this plane in the nose high dance a few times but always at altitude. So there ya go.... I got bit. I'll pick up a new wing and fuse from Motion and get her back in the air. Lessons learned. I just wanted to pass my experience on so you all can learn from my mistake. Guarantee you, those nozzles will be angled down on the next one!
            Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
              Just a bit of a bounce on touchdown that I wasn't happy with. Powered up to go around and caught the "dance". I didn't think the nose was too high or the plane too slow, but it obviously was. Down input wasn't happening.
              And still some would have it that this jet has a perfect thrustline and there is no problem whatsoever with factory design...

(Disclaimer: Not me, I was being sacrastic)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nickc2023 View Post

My original plan was to y the elevator servos of the TV nozzles together an put that on ch 7 and y the rudder servos of the TV and put that on ch 8 and then do the mixing on a switch. Don't really care about having aileron functionality on TV.
                Roll control on the TV is very helpful at low speed/high alpha.

Comment

• I agree AG, the thrust line is far from perfect. My hope is that Freewing sees this and corrects it in a V2. ...Well if it's not hope, it's gotta be sarcasm!
                  Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• It doesn't work that way. You'll need a reverse servo from the direction it is. If it has a norm get a reverse or vice versa. A servo is what, $10?

Originally posted by Nickc2023 View Post
                    ...I may just pull one of the servos for the TV, flip it 180° and adjust the length of the pushrod. ...

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Rich View Post
                      I've never used tailerons, but after seeing your videos I'm thinking of trying it. Any tips on that? Also, could you please share any control surface throws that are different than what the manual calls for.
                      Ok, so I finally came around to writing down my current radio settings (Reflecting a Taranis X9D+, OTx 2.3.10 setup), not so the actual measured travel in mm, that maybe for another day, this is time consuming...

Have to consider: Linkages are all on the factory recommended holes both in servo arms and horns and using the stock servos EXCEPT the tailerons, which I replaced to Corona DS-238MG and installed the linkage on the innermost servo arm hole.

INPUTS PAGE [First value is 'weight', second value (EXX) is the expo]
                      Ail 100 - E60
                      Ele 100 - E65
                      Thr 100
                      Rud 45 - E50 (SD UP)
                      60 - E50 (SD CENTER)
                      75 - E60 (SD DOWN)

EleT 35 - E65 (SD UP)
                      55 - E65 (SD CENTER)
                      65 - E65 (SD DOWN)
                      AilT 30 - E60 (SD UP)
                      35 - E60 (SD CENTER)
                      65 - E65 (SD DOWN)

MIXES PAGE [The value is the 'weight' and after comes the input that actuates on this channel. Red lines are prepared but not currently active]

CH1 100 Ail (TV-Rol - Not in use yet)
                      CH2 -100 Ele (TV-Pitch - Not in use yet)
                      CH3 100 Rud (TV-Yaw - Not in use yet)
                      CH4 100 SB (Gyro Mode - Not in use yet)
                      CH5 100 S1 (TV Gyro Gain - Not in use yet)
                      CH6 100 S2 (Tailerons Gyro Gain - Not in use yet)

CH7 100 AilT (Taileron LEFT)
                      += 100 EleT
                      CH8 100 AilT (Taileron RIGHT)
                      += -100 EleT
                      CH9 -100 Rud (Rudders)
                      CH10 100 Thr (Throttle)
                      CH11 100 AilT (Ailerons)
                      CH12 0 MAX FM 0--345678 (Flaps)
                      := 20 MAX FM -1-------
                      := 30 MAX FM --2------
                      CH13 -100 MAX (Landing Gear)
                      := 100 MAX
                      CH14 -100 Rud (Wheel Steering) <-- I adjust offset here
                      := -20 Rud
                      CH15 (Pan - Not yet in use)
                      CH16 (Tilt - Not yet in use)

OUTPUTS PAGE [Endpoints]

CH1 TV Rol -130/130
                      CH2 TV Pit -130/130
                      CH3 TV Yaw -130/130
                      ​​​​​​​CH4 GyMode -100/100
                      ​​​​​​​CH5 TVGain -100/100
                      ​​​​​​​CH6 TlGain -100/100
                      ​​​​​​​CH7 Tail-L -150/150
                      ​​​​​​​CH8 Tail-R -150/150
                      ​​​​​​​CH9 Rudder -100/100
                      ​​​​​​​CH10 THR -100/100
                      ​​​​​​​CH11 Ailerons -100/100
                      ​​​​​​​CH12 Flaps -100/100
                      ​​​​​​​CH13 LGear -100/100
                      ​​​​​​​CH14 Wheel -100/100
                      ​​​​​​​CH15 Pan -100/100
                      ​​​​​​​CH16 Tilt -100/100

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      That's it for my radio setup, but here it is "translated" to something easier to grasp for implementation on other Tx:

'ENDPOINTS': All normal maximum (100%), extended 130% for TV and 150% for stabs.

Travel Limits (Triple-Rate)
                      ROLL 30/35/65
                      PITCH 35/55/65
                      YAW 45/60/75

Exponentials (Triple-Rate)
                      ROLL 60/60/65
                      PITCH 65/65/65
                      YAW 50/50/60
                      (Precision flight/Aerobatic flight/Aerobatics+increased roll)

DISCLAIMER: This is not a final configuration, I am still tweaking things, it's just what I currently use. I basically fly only at high rates so the mid and low rates are probably not set up 'as well'. Weights and expo apply different on different transmitter brands, so don't take the numbers at 'face value'. This setup has 'kinda limited' stab throws due to the use of the innermost servo hole on the stab servos (for servo overload concerns) AND the fact that the tailerons LE rubs with the vertical stabs, but should be 'expandable' with a few adjustments. This served me as a testbed to begin experimenting with the MiG and has worked well so far, but I don't plan on staying with this setup forever.

I will update when I settle on a more mature configuration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nickc2023 View Post

My original plan was to y the elevator servos of the TV nozzles together an put that on ch 7 and y the rudder servos of the TV and put that on ch 8 and then do the mixing on a switch. Don't really care about having aileron functionality on TV. My plan was foiled however by the TV nozzles moving in opposite directions on the elevator axis when y'd together. Since spectrum specifically warns against using inline servo reversers I'll need a new approach. I may just pull one of the servos for the TV, flip it 180° and adjust the length of the pushrod. No rush though as flying weather in the north east is still pretty crappy.
                        Another option would be to Y the TV rudders to channel 4 (rudder) then use CH 7 and 8 for pitch/roll on TV unit. Rudder TV would be on all the time and mix pitch/tv with elevator and aileron on a switch

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Ok, so I finally came around to writing down my current radio settings (Reflecting a Taranis X9D+, OTx 2.3.10 setup), not so the actual measured travel in mm, that maybe for another day, this is time consuming...

Have to consider: Linkages are all on the factory recommended holes both in servo arms and horns and using the stock servos EXCEPT the tailerons, which I replaced to Corona DS-238MG and installed the linkage on the innermost servo arm hole.

INPUTS PAGE [First value is 'weight', second value (EXX) is the expo]
                          Ail 100 - E60
                          Ele 100 - E65
                          Thr 100
                          Rud 45 - E50 (SD UP)
                          60 - E50 (SD CENTER)
                          75 - E60 (SD DOWN)

EleT 35 - E65 (SD UP)
                          55 - E65 (SD CENTER)
                          65 - E65 (SD DOWN)
                          AilT 30 - E60 (SD UP)
                          35 - E60 (SD CENTER)
                          65 - E65 (SD DOWN)

MIXES PAGE [The value is the 'weight' and after comes the input that actuates on this channel. Red lines are prepared but not currently active]

CH1 100 Ail (TV-Rol - Not in use yet)
                          CH2 -100 Ele (TV-Pitch - Not in use yet)
                          CH3 100 Rud (TV-Yaw - Not in use yet)
                          CH4 100 SB (Gyro Mode - Not in use yet)
                          CH5 100 S1 (TV Gyro Gain - Not in use yet)
                          CH6 100 S2 (Tailerons Gyro Gain - Not in use yet)

CH7 100 AilT (Taileron LEFT)
                          += 100 EleT
                          CH8 100 AilT (Taileron RIGHT)
                          += -100 EleT
                          CH9 -100 Rud (Rudders)
                          CH10 100 Thr (Throttle)
                          CH11 100 AilT (Ailerons)
                          CH12 0 MAX FM 0--345678 (Flaps)
                          := 20 MAX FM -1-------
                          := 30 MAX FM --2------
                          CH13 -100 MAX (Landing Gear)
                          := 100 MAX
                          CH14 -100 Rud (Wheel Steering) <-- I adjust offset here
                          := -20 Rud
                          CH15 (Pan - Not yet in use)
                          CH16 (Tilt - Not yet in use)

OUTPUTS PAGE [Endpoints]

CH1 TV Rol -130/130
                          CH2 TV Pit -130/130
                          CH3 TV Yaw -130/130
                          CH4 GyMode -100/100
                          ​​​​​​​CH5 TVGain -100/100
                          ​​​​​​​CH6 TlGain -100/100
                          ​​​​​​​CH7 Tail-L -150/150
                          ​​​​​​​CH8 Tail-R -150/150
                          ​​​​​​​CH9 Rudder -100/100
                          ​​​​​​​CH10 THR -100/100
                          ​​​​​​​CH11 Ailerons -100/100
                          ​​​​​​​CH12 Flaps -100/100
                          ​​​​​​​CH13 LGear -100/100
                          ​​​​​​​CH14 Wheel -100/100
                          ​​​​​​​CH15 Pan -100/100
                          ​​​​​​​CH16 Tilt -100/100

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          That's it for my radio setup, but here it is "translated" to something easier to grasp for implementation on other Tx:

'ENDPOINTS': All normal maximum (100%), extended 130% for TV and 150% for stabs.

Travel Limits (Triple-Rate)
                          ROLL 30/35/65
                          PITCH 35/55/65
                          YAW 45/60/75

Exponentials (Triple-Rate)
                          ROLL 60/60/65
                          PITCH 65/65/65
                          YAW 50/50/60
                          (Precision flight/Aerobatic flight/Aerobatics+increased roll)

DISCLAIMER: This is not a final configuration, I am still tweaking things, it's just what I currently use. I basically fly only at high rates so the mid and low rates are probably not set up 'as well'. Weights and expo apply different on different transmitter brands, so don't take the numbers at 'face value'. This setup has 'kinda limited' stab throws due to the use of the innermost servo hole on the stab servos (for servo overload concerns) AND the fact that the tailerons LE rubs with the vertical stabs, but should be 'expandable' with a few adjustments. This served me as a testbed to begin experimenting with the MiG and has worked well so far, but I don't plan on staying with this setup forever.

I will update when I settle on a more mature configuration.
                          I feel bad that you went through so much work to put this together, but I appreciate it and will digest the information.
                          ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Good point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lcacing View Post

Another option would be to Y the TV rudders to channel 4 (rudder) then use CH 7 and 8 for pitch/roll on TV unit. Rudder TV would be on all the time and mix pitch/tv with elevator and aileron on a switch
                              Your right and I would rather not pull out the TV servos if I can avoid it. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                                Definitely. It is useful in a lot of the flight envelope.

I value yaw higher, but roll is indeed extremely valuable as well.

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

[/B][/COLOR]
                                  If it's not too much trouble and when you get a chance, I would be interested in knowing what your travel in mm is for your elevators and ailerons in the high rates that you fly with.

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
                                    Just got back from the morning's flight. Wanted to report that I had a crappy landing and a subsequent crash. Just a bit of a bounce on touchdown that I wasn't happy with. Powered up to go around and caught the "dance". I didn't think the nose was too high or the plane too slow, but it obviously was. Down input wasn't happening. Tried to work throttle to let it down easy on the tail but it fell off to the right and the right tip and nose took the brunt.
                                    I had basically the same thing happen today. The wind was 10mph and gusty. On short final I got a bit slow and a gust upset the plane. I added power to keep the plane flying and the nose popped up to about a 45 degree nose up attitude. The plane was basically stopped (no ground speed, but still had the 10 mph wind) and about 3-4 feet in the air. I modulated the throttle and backed the plane down to the ground for a tail first touch and a 2 foot roll out. No damage at all.

Comment

• Wow radfordc....that’s a great recovery!! Awesome dude.

MiG pilots are REALLY gonna have to be gentle on the throttle during attitude upsets in the pattern. AND be extra quick on the pitch control (or install a gyro). Thermal gusts are starting to be frequent now + whirlwinds.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                                        MiG pilots are REALLY gonna have to be gentle on the throttle during attitude upsets in the pattern. AND be extra quick on the pitch control (or install a gyro).
                                        -GG
                                        True. Some of the instincts gained in 50+ years of flying prop planes don't really apply to this one.

Comment

• I hit some thermal gusts today flying the AL37. It took full control throws and a blast of power to get through the gusty turbulent area. Would have been interesting with the MiG.

I am going to make a conscious effort to NOT float about in the pattern when it is gusty....keep some reasonable speed going. BUT not too fast with flaps down. LOL.

-GG

Comment

Working...
                                          X