Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
    Hi all,

Tell me I’m wrong if you like, but just throwing it out there.

Is it possible that with the flaps down, at certain speeds and angles of attack, air is deflected from under the rear of the flaps up under the leading edge of the elevator, forcing the leading edge down and causing the aircraft to pitch down violently?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE01F5F8-8680-4B1B-B722-A95AC4B2D766.jpeg
Views:	716
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	307065
    Aside from the accuracy of the airflow illustrated, the plane wasn't anywhere near the ground. :/

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
      If a Version 2 of the MiG is released (who knows), it will be interesting to see what mods are done.
      If the best scenario turns out true and the scale shaft axis has been implemented in V2 (which is not super-likely but I'd like to see it), I'd have to sell mine to get the new one, lol

Comment

• Originally posted by 4qr1hu9n7 View Post

How about just admitting "pilot error".? It's never the error of the pilot when a crash occurs. No. It has to be something else. Is this comment to your satisfaction ??
        A lot of crashing in general is indeed a matter of various pilot / owner error.

But when a model start showing clear signs of having a very specific crash pattern, it is time to have a hard look at the specific models, as well as the specifics around the reported crashes. And in the case of the MiG, there is absolutely no ambiguity about whether or not it had/has issues at this point. The vast majority agrees that it does, including MRC who are withholding further batches.
        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

If the best scenario turns out true and the scale shaft axis has been implemented in V2 (which is not super-likely but I'd like to see it), I'd have to sell mine to get the new one, lol
          Even if that was the case, that alone would in my view most likely not solve the issues. It would certainly help, and be a very welcome change regardless, but unless the torsion strength in the tail sections, as well as the elevators themselves were improved, I think we'd still have issues.
          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Today, after 67 flights and some touch and goes one of my landing gear legs came free... the whole plastic box unglued.
            Thankfully I was able to catch it before take-off so no accidents ensued. Add to your preflight checklists if it isn't there already to check for landing gear integrity regularly, preferably before each flight.

Will try to tear the rest free from the fuselage and epoxy it back in.

Originally posted by janmb View Post
            Even if that was the case, that alone would in my view most likely not solve the issues. It would certainly help, and be a very welcome change regardless, but unless the torsion strength in the tail sections, as well as the elevators themselves were improved, I think we'd still have issues.
            Consider that with the scale shaft, the loads would unload (pun intended) further ahead in the fuselage at a point which is much stiffer due to sheer volume of foam, so the torsion should be gone. The stab would also flex less itself from the distances of the trailing edge to the hinge-axis reducing.
            With better servos, pushrod linkages and power distribution/wires, the rest should be a no brainer.

Comment

• Just... what a fantastic jet!
              If only Freewing made a Su-57 or 30SM in this size...

Comment

Just... what a fantastic jet!
                If only Freewing made a Su-57 or 30SM in this size...
                Outstanding flights and great videography, quite majestic! As close to a religious experience as I'm likely to get! If MRC doesn't bring this back, I'll have to boycott them forever!
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hahaha! Thanks, I'm more than confident that they will!

Comment

Today, after 67 flights and some touch and goes one of my landing gear legs came free... the whole plastic box unglued.
                    Thankfully I was able to catch it before take-off so no accidents ensued. Add to your preflight checklists if it isn't there already to check for landing gear integrity regularly, preferably before each flight.

Will try to tear the rest free from the fuselage and epoxy it back in.
                    Beautiful flying! Thanks for posting these.

A good pre-flight visual clue is that the vertical main gear shafts are no longer vertical...but splayed outwards.

I have run up against this (reference my prior posts). I found that epoxy isn't the best/total solution. It is better to use FoamTac glue for re-attaching the plastic box. Epoxy alone is too brittle. I had my box break loose again after repair. FoamTac is more able to withstand the shock w/o fracturing.

The more permanent fix is a bit more involved and consists of the following:

After re-attaching the plastic block with FoamTac....(note..work one at a time because you need a secure anchor for the rubber band mentioned below)
                    • Carbon fiber sheet glued to the vertical wall (inside nearest the fuselage center) with epoxy. FoamTac would work most likely just as well. Be sure to remove the paint first.
                    • Metal 90 degree angle brace was then glued to the CF sheet and to the plastic box. I used one brace mid box, but you could possibly use 2 braces...one at the front and one at the rear.
                    • While the glue/glues are setting, attach a rubber band between the opposite side struts to ensure they dry vertically.
                    After the second repair with FoamTac, carbon fiber, epoxy, and the metal bracket/brace, the plastic box has not come loose again. I feel operations off grass will drive the need for this repair/modification almost without exception and sooner than for operations off pavement.

Note: I was not able to completely remove the plastic block/box. I was afraid of damaging the outer thin area of foam as the box was securely attached there. So, I opted to dig a thin trench around the inner areas of plastic box with a Dremel tool (could also use a razor knife) where the plastic box contacts the foam and squirt FoamTac into this trench. So far, with this and the CF and metal brace...the inside area of the plastic box has remained secure. The outside area of the box where the thin foam is has remained securely glued in place.

While a total removal of the plastic block would be best, I tried...and could not get it to come out without risking additional damage.

-GG

Comment

• Anyone remember the wiring( or the location number on this site) for the main ldg door opening and closing with the gear down?

Comment

• Originally posted by duke View Post
                        Anyone remember the wiring( or the location number on this site) for the main ldg door opening and closing with the gear down?
                        First white wire in from the red and black.
                        Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                          Beautiful flying! Thanks for posting these.
                          Thanks!

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                          A good pre-flight visual clue is that the vertical main gear shafts are no longer vertical...but splayed outwards.
                          That's exactly how I noticed it (already in take-off run but I aborted as I saw this).

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                          I have run up against this (reference my prior posts). I found that epoxy isn't the best/total solution. It is better to use FoamTac glue for re-attaching the plastic box. Epoxy alone is too brittle. I had my box break loose again after repair. FoamTac is more able to withstand the shock w/o fracturing.
                          Thanks for the heads up.
                          We don't have Foam Tac around here and although I use something similar (UHU POR) it gets brittle with age so I tend to avoid using it for certain applications.
                          I managed to get my hands on some Gorilla Glue though... maybe I could test it out.

Comment

• So here's Brent Hecht's Uber-Cool Luftwaffe repaint of his MiG-29 Fulcrum out at Rabbit a while back...😎

Be sure to watch as the canopy and pilot decided to DEPART the model in mid-flight 😲😂!!!

Enjoy 😁!

Comment

• Originally posted by Justwingit View Post
                              So here's Brent Hecht's Uber-Cool Luftwaffe repaint of his MiG-29 Fulcrum out at Rabbit a while back...😎

Be sure to watch as the canopy and pilot decided to DEPART the model in mid-flight 😲😂!!!

Enjoy 😁!
                              Well I saw the problem.... looks like at 1:25 an AMRAAM went streaking by... pilot didn't want to wait and jumped ship!!

Comment

For those interested in doing more research on the topic, I leave this here:

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/601262main_...ight-ebook.pdf
                                Thanks man... I didn't understand half of it, but the rest was only a complete mystery to me 😂😂🤣

Comment

• Originally posted by duke View Post
                                  Anyone remember the wiring( or the location number on this site) for the main ldg door opening and closing with the gear down?
                                  This is the easiest way no soldering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHdu3qAWwGI&t=2s page 70 for the other method

Comment

• So it looks like no matter if there are any upgrades to the Mig or not, based upon MRC's new price increases starting May 15th, the Mig will now cost a minimum of $64 US more without any changes. That puts it at $703 US base cost without any changes.

And no doubt it won't be brought back before May 15th, cause if it does, definitely hitting the buy now option.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Auch !

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                        So it looks like no matter if there are any upgrades to the Mig or not, based upon MRC's new price increases starting May 15th, the Mig will now cost a minimum of $64 US more without any changes. That puts it at $703 US base cost without any changes.

And no doubt it won't be brought back before May 15th, cause if it does, definitely hitting the buy now option.
                                        YIKES! That puts this plane into very exclusive territory for a foamie. There's something about going into that next 100 dollar threshold that sounds too much. If I were after this plane now and saw that price tag, I doubt I would jump in. Any newbies to this jet, would scan these threads and only see the posts and videos about the crashes and not look any further at the discussions about them and give further consideration to buying one. It was bad enough at 600 and something, but 700 and something is a psychological stumbling block for me, considering what I just bought for 600 bucks (Eflite Draco). Mentally, I consider the Draco to be a better value. But everyone has their own perception of such things.

Comment

• Motion says an average of 10% so it could be more or less. Interestingly I've had mine, with TV's posted for sale for weeks without a bite (granted at a rather high price). This tells me that, even though it's been withdrawn from sale over the crashes, there really isn't a very high of a demand for it.

I wonder if FW and FL parts will go up too, it just says airplanes in the post. If they also raise the TV's 10% that's $803.

There's a lot of if's in all this though.

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                          So it looks like no matter if there are any upgrades to the Mig or not, based upon MRC's new price increases starting May 15th, the Mig will now cost a minimum of $64 US more without any changes. That puts it at $703 US base cost without any changes.

Comment

Working...
                                          X