X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
    Too true! But Hugh said he is monitoring data post flights made with chokes, and he is seeing positive results (no frame drops, etc.). Might actually be better than just powder! And a key difference is I saw elephants...applied powder...and no longer see elephants.

Hugh??? Care to elaborate?

Also....might be best to move this discussion to the radio and receivers forum. MiG pilots may be about ready to arm their missiles. LOL

-GG
    I always check my signals after each flight, mindful of how many frame losses but more importantly looking for Holds. With both my F-4's, my F-18, A-10 etc.,etc., since installing chokes wherever I could, I noticed the frame losses cut in half. I did have 3 holds on one of my F-4's before, and now none. I can't definitively tell you these work and on which wires they work (if they do at all) as I put them on anything that wasn't nailed down, but better safe than sorry for me. If you're flying without them and everything works well, that's great too, to each his own. The only EDF that I have not put them on is my F-16, however, the receiver and antennae are way up in the nose plenty far enough from any other electronics. I am using the Spektrum AS3X RX's in everything along with a remote satellite (except the F-16).

My Mig, which was supposed to arrive today and has not, will be getting the chokes as well, and maybe it's just extra weight, but no big deal. BTW, I did get the servo upgrade package for the Mig and as Sky Wolf pointed out, they look nice. I'm still going to use the ProModelar servos with their aluminum arms and titanium Hangar Nine control rods that I ordered, but the FW package is a nice upgrade from their standard package. Going out tomorrow with a few EDF's and with my luck I'll lose signal on everything!
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
      Nothing wrong with that. Then there are ostriches. I've seen ostriches but never one with its head in the sand. Apparently, they don't do that. However, if you believe that ostriches stick their heads in the sand when scared, then it doesn't hurt to keep that in your "happy thoughts". Since most people on earth will never see an ostrich in the wild, there's no way to disprove it. Just don't try to scare one when you do see one.
      If they're anything like Emus you really don't want to be around them. Flightless birds are no joke.

Look I guess the problem with applying the scientific method to the application of chokes to servo leads is that one of your control observations might be a $600USD plane going into the dirt lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post

If they're anything like Emus you really don't want to be around them. Flightless birds are no joke.
        They scare me. I had one come into camp years ago and it swiped my breakfast. Didn't lift a finger to stop it. I was grateful my eyes and intestines remained intact.

Comment

• If an emu shows up, capitulate immediately.
          Australians would know their fair bit about that...

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post

Look I guess the problem with applying the scientific method to the application of chokes to servo leads is that one of your control observations might be a $600USD plane going into the dirt lol.
            That's why oscilloscopes were invented.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post

The earlier servo is a 23 gram servo. This servo is the same size but with different internals making it heavier. I suspect the spline is the same as the 23g servo but I've asked Freewing to be 100% sure. If the spline is the same, there is no reason the new metal servo arm will not work on the 23g servo. I'll post more when I know for sure. I will also post the full specs of the 30g servo when I know them for sure. I know the trial specs but I don't want to assume they are the exact same so I'll post more when I know more as soon as I know. These new servos are higher torque for sure. The higher torque was added to cope with the turbulence a high speed flap deployment causes. If you don't deploy flaps at 85%+ throttle, I would not worry. If you want an insurance policy, we will have the servos and full upgrade kits available. I'm asking Freewing for a part number and pricing tonight.
              kindly let me know Tom, i will buy one for my 29...

Comment

• Another Mig-29 flew straight into the ground...

It's January 1991, during Operation Desert Storm, and a USAF pilot is in trouble. An Iraqi MiG has locked onto his plane and is preparing to take him down. T...

...in 1991.

Comment

• Wow, out of stock again! Remains an extremely popular jet!

Glad to see most remain undeterred and are supporting all the efforts being made by MRC!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post

The earlier servo is a 23 gram servo. This servo is the same size but with different internals making it heavier. I suspect the spline is the same as the 23g servo but I've asked Freewing to be 100% sure. If the spline is the same, there is no reason the new metal servo arm will not work on the 23g servo. I'll post more when I know for sure. I will also post the full specs of the 30g servo when I know them for sure. I know the trial specs but I don't want to assume they are the exact same so I'll post more when I know more as soon as I know. These new servos are higher torque for sure. The higher torque was added to cope with the turbulence a high speed flap deployment causes. If you don't deploy flaps at 85%+ throttle, I would not worry. If you want an insurance policy, we will have the servos and full upgrade kits available. I'm asking Freewing for a part number and pricing tonight.
                    Any idea when the upgrade kit contents (servos, pushrods, etc) will be available for purchase? Sorry if i missed it.

thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by flyAA View Post

Any idea when the upgrade kit contents (servos, pushrods, etc) will be available for purchase? Sorry if i missed it.

thanks!
                      Tom says they are discussing packaging and content types now, and will keep us posted on a possible timeline.

Comment

• Hi

I've got a new kit on the way, but it will never a conversion. What's the EDF package worth these days?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaun Evans View Post
                          Hi

I've got a new kit on the way, but it will never a conversion. What's the EDF package worth these days?
                          Whatever's listed on the MRC website, maybe a markdown for not being pure "NIB" (or to offset shipping)

Comment

• A quick look on RCG shows a single ESC/ motor/ fan goes for $65-80 (the $65 includes shipping) and a whole MiG package including both ESCs, motor, fans, and the BEC is there for $180 shipped.

Very rare to see them sell for close to what Motion sells them for, usually about half to 60%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                              A quick look on RCG shows a single ESC/ motor/ fan goes for $65-80 (the $65 includes shipping) and a whole MiG package including both ESCs, motor, fans, and the BEC is there for $180 shipped.

Very rare to see them sell for close to what Motion sells them for, usually about half to 60%.
                              The price difference between PNP & ARF Plus is $100.

So though he might get less than Motion RC's retail price, but he'll still come out ahead.

Or he can opt to keep them to use in other plane(s), and pocket some savings from not having to buying separate.

Comment

A quick look on RCG shows a single ESC/ motor/ fan goes for $65-80 (the $65 includes shipping) and a whole MiG package including both ESCs, motor, fans, and the BEC is there for $180 shipped.

Hi,

Yeah, I looked over there and noticed some. I didn't see any that weren't used, however. The ones I saw on RCG all seem to be used. Mine will be 'new, never run' as I don't fly EDF at all. No harm in additional data points, right?

Comment

• Some are used and some aren't, put them up for what you think they are worth and see how it goes. I've seen things sell for more than they can be bought new from Motion (or other sites) and I've seen things that don't sell and I don't understand why.

I have things in my drawer that I won't sell because no one wants to give me what I think it's worth, including a couple 3658-1920kV fans like the MiG has... They might end up in another F-14 at some point.

Comment

Some are used and some aren't, put them up for what you think they are worth and see how it goes. I've seen things sell for more than they can be bought new from Motion (or other sites) and I've seen things that don't sell and I don't understand why.

I have things in my drawer that I won't sell because no one wants to give me what I think it's worth, including a couple 3658-1920kV fans like the MiG has... They might end up in another F-14 at some point.
                                    Why? For a $few more you can get this: https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=8142

Comment

• Why? Because I already have the FW inrunner ones sitting in a drawer... Can't get cheaper than zero $.

Plus I said might. Probably won't....

Originally posted by kallend View Post

Why? For a $few more you can get this: https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=8142

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post

Tom says they are discussing packaging and content types now, and will keep us posted on a possible timeline.
                                        hey thanks a lot!

Comment

• My craziest (non-vectored) MiG flights to date (raw edit, no music/slowmo version):

Comment

Working...
                                          X