Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainted my Mig-29 in Russian Test Pilots scheme. Much easier to see than grey camo.
    Attached Files

Comment

• What solvent do you recommend to wash off the original paint without damaging the foam?

Comment

• Originally posted by CompulsiveBob View Post
        Repainted my Mig-29 in Russian Test Pilots scheme. Much easier to see than grey camo.
        Beautiful job! Not sure I like it, but wait, on second thought, I LOVE IT! I'm sure you know the history of this scheme, only 2 were ever done that I could find and they crashed into each other in some clouds during an airshow over London. The Russian pilots seemed to have disappeared after the incident as well, possibly reassigned to a gulag in tropical Siberia. It would be fun to fly ours together but their history may result in "Art Imitating Life", especially if I'm one of the pilots!

Click image for larger version

Name:	H Wiedman-Mig29 Cobra.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	329155Click image for larger version

Name:	20210711_173436.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	329156Click image for larger version

Name:	20210908_105429.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	329157
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• "The pilots returned to active duty on Aug. 2, 1993."

On 24 Jul 93 at 1527 hrs, a pair of MiG-29s of Flight Research Institute took off to commence their display at RIAT '93 at RAF Fairford

Sorry to spoil the myth!

I'm not a big fan of that paint scheme tbh... but sure has to be easy to see for the most part ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
            "The pilots returned to active duty on Aug. 2, 1993."

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/reme...on-at-riat-93/

Sorry to spoil the myth!

I'm not a big fan of that paint scheme tbh... but sure has to be easy to see for the most part ;)
            Thanks for posting that video, I couldn't find it. Amazing no one perished including any of those on the ground! Not sure who started that myth , but it sounded plausible.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• First flights with TV (zero'ed with the vectoring-ball marks, no downtilt).

Comment

• The fun goes on! ( :

Comment

• Thanks for the video! Challenging landing conditions for sure. Good job showing what a MiG does best.

Last weekend landing, a sharp gust pitched the nose up about a foot above the pavement. Enough so that alpha lock happened. She stayed stable at a very nose up attitude then settled in for a nice landing all on her own. LOL - nothing I did, for sure.

-GG

Comment

• That video also shows what the toe out does to the retract mounts... it's kinda nasty. I take it that the extra drag is cool to stop in shorter runways, but I'd highly encourage to get rid of it entirely and the landing gear will suffer much less stress during ground operation. One of the few big flaws in this jet so far. The mounting plastic does not distribute the loads in an area large enough (unlike most other FW jets) and the toe out exacerbates it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                      That video also shows what the toe out does to the retract mounts... it's kinda nasty. I take it that the extra drag is cool to stop in shorter runways, but I'd highly encourage to get rid of it entirely and the landing gear will suffer much less stress during ground operation. One of the few big flaws in this jet so far. The mounting plastic does not distribute the loads in an area large enough (unlike most other FW jets) and the toe out exacerbates it.
                      Funny you should mention this. I just finished whacking both of my axles with a hammer (in a vise) to bend them so the toe out is removed as well as adjusting the vertical alignment (bend the axle so the top of the wheel moves outward).

Rolls nice and easy again. This will last about a month. Then...back into the vise they will go.

I've also added carbon to the foam around the main gear plastic supports. I believe you were the one who suggested embedding carbon rods into foam above the plastic mounts.

-GG

Comment

• Nope, wasn't me but someone replying to me due to my problems with it... for the time I've kinda halted the progression of the issue with Gorilla Glue, but will see how long that lasts... :)

I did use carbon rods to repair one of the wing securing pins that snapped on my landing-high-alpha-lock-crash. That worked super well and still holds up today! :)

Comment

• More flying! ( :

Comment

• Finally some decent weather and got out with the Mig, A-10, F-4 Blue Angel and the F-18 Tiger Meet. Got some video of each but will be a while before I get around to editing it (may cut most out as the focus comes and goes ). Have to say the Mig is definitely one of the sweetest flying EDF's I have, maybe even better than the A-10 if that's possible. Got over 5 minutes of flight time on the SMC 6200's balanced at 155mm. I'm getting about 3:50 on the SMC 5300's which saves about 260 gr of weight and allows me to get further back from 155mm but the 5 minutes is hard to pass up. And don't really notice much difference in flying characteristics between the 2. With the TV nozzles, it get's out of flat spins and high alpha with ease, so I would definitely recommend anyone to give those beasties a try!

I programmed about a 5% down elevator mix when the throttle cut off which completely eliminated any slight ballooning on landing when I cut the throttle off before touch down and any final throttle as the mains touch. A flying buddy at the field showed me this trick and I did the same with the A-10, which has a tendency to float a bit just before landing if you cut the throttle. He's the best pilot I know and primarily designs and builds large turbines for people all over the world, so he's learned a ton of useful little tricks that I'd never image.

Quick question, I can't seem to find the unique wing bolts on the spare parts page and they are not in the Screw Sets. I always like to have a few extra wing bolts for all my planes just in case I loose one and that's one MRC aircraft that doesn't seem to have them in spare parts. Must be missing something, which is quite normal for me.

Name:	20211128_101255.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	331277Click image for larger version

Name:	20211128_101327.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	331278
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Quick question, I can't seem to find the unique wing bolts on the spare parts page and they are not in the Screw Sets. I always like to have a few extra wing bolts for all my planes just in case I loose one and that's one MRC aircraft that doesn't seem to have them in spare parts. Must be missing something, which is quite normal for me.
                              According to the photos, the wing bolts are contained in the screw set. Just look at the second photo.

Name:	A02D67E1-F5CC-4404-A078-244A3A5EE9CA.jpeg
Views:	597
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	331288

Comment

• There... I keep working to keep you entertained, huehue!

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

According to the photos, the wing bolts are contained in the screw set. Just look at the second photo.

Name:	A02D67E1-F5CC-4404-A078-244A3A5EE9CA.jpeg
Views:	597
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	331288
                                  Thanks, boy do I feel stupid! I only looked at the 1st picture. Although I only see 2 bolts in that 2nd picture instead of the 4 required, but at least that's a start.
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Hugh, if you have such a thing as a "fastener" shop in your area, take one of the screws down there and they can match it. You can buy a box of those screws for what it would cost to buy one of those "screw kits" and have it shipped. When I lost a couple of mine on the ground near the set up table, I happened to have just the right length and thread of screw in one of my screw jars.
                                    Even easier is to find the designation of those screws in the plane's manual and phone various shops. For example, a wing screw can be something like "M4 X xmm length". The "M4" designation will dictate the thread pitch. The ones on the MiG are those goofy ones that once you install them, they stay on the wing and don't drop out. The other types of wing bolts are something like "pan head", but they're still "Mx X length".
                                    I've got so many planes that take the same screws that I keep them all in a little ziplock bag in my toolbox. When I put a plane together, I just take 4 out. If one is missing, it doesn't matter unless I take ALL the planes that use the same screw. That's generally not likely for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      Hugh, if you have such a thing as a "fastener" shop in your area, take one of the screws down there and they can match it. You can buy a box of those screws for what it would cost to buy one of those "screw kits" and have it shipped. When I lost a couple of mine on the ground near the set up table, I happened to have just the right length and thread of screw in one of my screw jars.
                                      Even easier is to find the designation of those screws in the plane's manual and phone various shops. For example, a wing screw can be something like "M4 X xmm length". The "M4" designation will dictate the thread pitch. The ones on the MiG are those goofy ones that once you install them, they stay on the wing and don't drop out. The other types of wing bolts are something like "pan head", but they're still "Mx X length".
                                      I've got so many planes that take the same screws that I keep them all in a little ziplock bag in my toolbox. When I put a plane together, I just take 4 out. If one is missing, it doesn't matter unless I take ALL the planes that use the same screw. That's generally not likely for me.
                                      Thanks, great idea. I always like to keep at least a couple extra wing screws in my field box in case I drop one in the grass and it's gone! Fortunately, a lot of the Freewing and FlightLine planes use the same wing screws, like the F4/A10/B24/Spitfire/Corsair/etc. So far only the F18 and Mig have unique ones.
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• "There... I keep working to keep you entertained, huehue!"

J...after all I've said about your landings over the years I'll have to eat my words...as you know that is tough for me! ( the music stuff I said still sticks)

Comment

• Finally put together a video on my Mig 29 "Cobra" from last weeks flying. I have to say that IMO, this is definitely one of Freewing's finest creations. It's extremely stable and incredibly maneuverable especially with the TV nozzles. Haven't had a chance to fly it as much as I'd like, but definitely looking forward to a lot more stick time on this one. I've only done a few modifications like the TV nozzles, ProModeler elevator servos (even though FW's upgraded package looks nice), the Hangar 9 Titanium elevator control rods and the Castle 20 amp BEC. I'm using the AR637T with gyro for the surfaces and a Light Systems channel expander and Hobby Eagle gyro for the TV nozzles as well and have the gains turned up fairly high on the 637T, especially in landing configuration (60/70/80), and have yet to experience any oscillation.

Initially it was flown on 2 SMC 5300's balanced 15mm behind book. Got almost 4 minutes useful throttle time and since these packs are quite light at 684 gr, batteries are located all the way forward in the front and aft tray (allowing for even further reward CG placement) with some of the electronics in the middle. Last few flights were on the SMC 6200's with the same balance point and battery location all the way aft in the front and back bay and got over 5 minutes of useful throttle time, so sticking with that set-up for a while, although I can't get the balance point any further back with those. As I mentioned earlier, we put a throttle/elevator mix in of 5% down elevator when throttle is cut to 0 and that completely removed any slight ballooning on landing when cutting the throttle. There's probably other means to get the same thing done but that worked nicely for me. With over 6 minutes of in-air time on such a large EDF, that's exceptional in my book. Contrast that with my E-Flight SU-30 (which I had to upgrade the fans to the FMS fans to get it flying decently) where with the same pack I'm barely over 3 minutes flight time. That's just enough time to settle in and the low battery voltage starts screaming and now I'm my pants cause I have to quickly get set up for landing!

I'm slowly but surely becoming a Mig Lover! All I can say is FW better come up with some more LARGE TWIN EDF'S (90mm's please), the BIGGER the BETTER. They fly so much nicer than the smaller ones and for me are much easier to SEEEEEEE!

Even got in a couple flat spins around the 5:30 mark.

Name:	20211128_101255.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	331805

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X