X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post
    thanks for scaring the **** out of me now - it's hard enough to fly these confidently when i only started a year ago...🤣🤣🤣
    With a $700 toy a little fear is probably a good thing. It makes you pay attention to what you're doing and not be sloppy. Having a year of experience may be enough (or not) to handle the Mig. I've got 60 years of experience flying RC and the Mig bit me hard a couple of times. The Mig isn't inherently hard to fly...in fact it's relatively easy. But, it's big and heavy and has some quirks and demands to be flown accordingly. Good luck. BTW, the Su-30 is also a great flying jet (with the proper mods) but it's not exactly a "trainer".

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

With a $700 toy a little fear is probably a good thing. It makes you pay attention to what you're doing and not be sloppy. Having a year of experience may be enough (or not) to handle the Mig. I've got 60 years of experience flying RC and the Mig bit me hard a couple of times. The Mig isn't inherently hard to fly...in fact it's relatively easy. But, it's big and heavy and has some quirks and demands to be flown accordingly. Good luck. BTW, the Su-30 is also a great flying jet (with the proper mods) but it's not exactly a "trainer".
      Thanks Radford - duly noted...

Comment

• Well... finally!

There go my first flights with the VT nozzles. Again, the plane was out of (stab) trim and a bit too nose heavy so you can attribute bad flying behaviors (if you can notice any) to those factors ;)

There are 2 very clear demonstrations of high alpha lock no longer being an issue at minutes 0:55 and 5:00.

Comment

• Thanks for posting.

Oh my gosh! IF ONLY….IF ONLY!!!!

The alpha lock at 0:55 recovery says it all. You have this bird, you need the thrust vector kit.

Wish I had installed it on mine….RIP little MiG that is no more.

-GG

Comment

• I posted over on the other thread. The TVS are great to help you get out of "alpha lock" but they don't prevent it.

I've probably 50 TV'ed flights and it still doesn't feel right.

Comment

• Well, I wouldn't quite describe it as an alpha locked if you are not locked into it...

Most of these fighter-jet airframes will have a tendency to pitch up as they get into high or extreme AoAs depending on CG setting.
              The MiG just made it worse with a bad thrustline. A better thrustline and the capability to vector makes away with that. One shouldn't be afraid to enter that condition, one should just practice to learn how to get out safely ;)

With TV, it is easy. Without TV, it's almost mission impossible on this one.

And I agree with GG, TV is the way to go on this one IMO. (Or at least install nozzles with better thrustline after kallend sorts them out).

Comment

thanks for scaring the **** out of me now - it's hard enough to fly these confidently when i only started a year ago...🤣🤣🤣
                Hey, don't worry I'll show you mine at the field soon and we'll get you off on the right foot. There are definitely a few important things that you have to look at (4500 posts here, there was a lot of discussion) because we did have problems with this plane at first. Every plane has a few things you need to be made aware of. The A10's pogo-stick landing because it was nose heavy. The Phantom's elevator servo. Since I did the modifications on the Mig29 I've have had no problems at all, not one. Its not hard to fly and handles very well.
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey, don't worry I'll show you mine at the field soon and we'll get you off on the right foot. There are definitely a few important things that you have to look at (4500 posts here, there was a lot of discussion) because we did have problems with this plane at first. Every plane has a few things you need to be made aware of. The A10's pogo-stick landing because it was nose heavy. The Phantom's elevator servo. Since I did the modifications on the Mig29 I've have had no problems at all, not one. Its not hard to fly and handles very well.
                  Thanks brother - you don't know how much i appreciate you... you're knowledge and wisdom has been invaluable to me on this journey and i'm having a ball because of you and the rest of the stand-up guys on here.

Comment

Thanks brother - you don't know how much i appreciate you... you're knowledge and wisdom has been invaluable to me on this journey and i'm having a ball because of you and the rest of the stand-up guys on here.
                    Refreshing to see your enthusiasm!

Be mentally ready for when a crash happens. If you pick up ALL the pieces, you can generally repair these birds. I’ve gotten some basket cases back in the air.

So allow yourself some time to be upset, but then get back on the RC horse. It’s too much fun of a hobby to walk away from. A wise RC pilot once told me, “Do not start this hobby if crashing will make you mad. You WILL crash!”

LOL - You are already in it, so you don’t have any option but to suck it up and keep going when it happens.

Welcome to a life-long “habit”. It sure beats sitting on a couch watching TV. Good anti-Alzheimer’s brain stimulation, too. Been doing it for 60 years as have other posters. Proof positive!

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Welcome to a life-long “habit”. ....Been doing it for 60 years as have other posters. Proof positive!

-GG
                      About as long as me! My first RC unit was a Citizenship single channel super regenerative rubber band escapement system. To call it a "control system" would be generous.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

About as long as me! My first RC unit was a Citizenship single channel super regenerative rubber band escapement system. To call it a "control system" would be generous.
                        My first TX had two vacuum tubes and used a war surplus XTAL. The tubes were 3V4 pentodes IIRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                          Piled my beloved EFL Viper 90mm in last weekend. Gathered up all of the popcorn (she fit in the car better...), went home and stripped it down, and then got online and order a new fuselage, port side main wing, and nose cone, and now i patiently wait for the back-ordered parts. I can rebuild her, make her gooder than she was (theme from the Six Million Dollar Man playing in the background...)...

I'm not putting the OEM Rx back in her though - just to make sure that wasn't part of her original issues. I'll put in a new 637T and program it myself. I may not know much at this point, but i know how to do that and if there were any weird things going on in the OEM 637TA, that will eliminate that.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used 637TA...? 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

• Is it ok to shorten the battery leads coming from the ESC on this jet?

Comment

• Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                              Is it ok to shorten the battery leads coming from the ESC on this jet?
                              Absolutely! It is always best to keep the battery to ESC wire length as short as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                                Is it ok to shorten the battery leads coming from the ESC on this jet?
                                If you want to understand the WHY, read this thread:

Comment

• not really related, but does anyone with an ix20 know what the 'SD' in the upper left corner of the screen by the model name is and why it would be running...? Mine all of a sudden started eating battery the other day after having a hard time starting and then i noticed this 'SD' thing is running and can't figure out what it is or how to turn it off...

Please advise if you know something about it and thanks in advance...

j.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

If you want to understand the WHY, read this thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ns-workarounds
                                    Very interesting reading. The caps on the Mig ESC are fully enclosed I have put them on top of the ESC to get some cooling they do not interfere with the airflow and fit nicely against the foam lip above the ESC.

Comment

• Second flight session with the VT MiG. Better this time with more aft CG again and a couple of rails added back in but still have to set it up better and I'm feeling like the jet could really do with a gyro... :p

Comment

I'm not putting the OEM Rx back in her though - just to make sure that wasn't part of her original issues. 🤣🤣🤣
                                        What were the original issues?

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                          Second flight session with the VT MiG. Better this time with more aft CG again and a couple of rails added back in but still have to set it up better and I'm feeling like the jet could really do with a gyro... :p

Impressive multiple alpha lock recoveries starting at 2:30 and beyond. Now that’s COOL!

-GG

Comment

Working...
                                          X