X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
    Second flight session with the VT MiG. Better this time with more aft CG again and a couple of rails added back in but still have to set it up better and I'm feeling like the jet could really do with a gyro... :p
    At least on the VT nozzles.

Comment

• For the MiG, I'm more concerned about stabs and rudders, this time around. The jet does some weird things I'm not totally fond of that would be better dealt with using stabilization on conventional controls.

For example, the jet has a tendency to wing rock with turbulence a bit more than I find visually-aesthetically pleasing, and a more pressing concern, the jet has a bit of a tendency to suddenly drift and deviate when pulling a bit too hard on the pitch stick. I do compensate it with rudder but my reflexes can't possibly be fast enough to make it look cool.
      Finally, the plane has a tendency to want to drop the nose after coming out from a roll, which is annoying and when using an aft shifted CG (beyond 15mm), landing becomes quite a bit tricky. A gyro on the stabs and rudders would help with all that much more than on the nozzles. The gyro on the nozzles would be great on the other hand to reduce high alpha wobble and enhance post stall controllability overall. :)

Comment

For the MiG, I'm more concerned about stabs and rudders, this time around. The jet does some weird things I'm not totally fond of that would be better dealt with using stabilization on conventional controls.

For example, the jet has a tendency to wing rock with turbulence a bit more than I find visually-aesthetically pleasing, and a more pressing concern, the jet has a bit of a tendency to suddenly drift and deviate when pulling a bit too hard on the pitch stick. I do compensate it with rudder but my reflexes can't possibly be fast enough to make it look cool.
        Finally, the plane has a tendency to want to drop the nose after coming out from a roll, which is annoying and when using an aft shifted CG (beyond 15mm), landing becomes quite a bit tricky. A gyro on the stabs and rudders would help with all that much more than on the nozzles. The gyro on the nozzles would be great on the other hand to reduce high alpha wobble and enhance post stall controllability overall. :)
        Well, the high alpha wobble was apparent in the video, which is why I made the comment. Not as good (yet) as the SU-35 at high alpha.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

What were the original issues?
          ultimately, probably just bad piloting, but same thing happened on maiden flight #2 - i think i was too slow on my final turn on approach and she lost lift, at that point as3x took over trying to correct and i was doing the same thing on the ground with my radio and it just resulted in disaster #1... and now #2, which is basically what the fuselage was after last Sunday so i stripped her down and now i wait for spare parts... :)

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

ultimately, probably just bad piloting, but same thing happened on maiden flight #2 - i think i was too slow on my final turn on approach and she lost lift, at that point as3x took over trying to correct and i was doing the same thing on the ground with my radio and it just resulted in disaster #1... and now #2, which is basically what the fuselage was after last Sunday so i stripped her down and now i wait for spare parts... :)
            No gyro, AS3X or SAFE will rescue you if you stall out on the turn from base to final. I expect the RX is fine, they are amazingly robust, but give it a good check out.

Comment

No gyro, AS3X or SAFE will rescue you if you stall out on the turn from base to final. I expect the RX is fine, they are amazingly robust, but give it a good check out.
              Agreed….especially if you get pushed by a gust into alpha lock on base to final. I say this as I sit looking at a bunch of pieces that used to be a MiG-29. And…I did have a gyro (no thrust vector installed).

The gust increased the effective angle of attack almost instantaneously beyond critical.

Ouch!

Fairly certain if the thrust vector kit was installed, recovery would have been possible.

-GG

Comment

• thanks guys. in the words of Brittany Spears, i did it again...

Comment

For the MiG, I'm more concerned about stabs and rudders, this time around. The jet does some weird things I'm not totally fond of that would be better dealt with using stabilization on conventional controls.

Does it drift and deviate to the same side each time you pull a bit too hard on the pitch control

Comment

• As I've repeatedly said the TVs may help get the plane out of the alpha lock but it still doesn't fly quite right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                      As I've repeatedly said the TVs may help get the plane out of the alpha lock but it still doesn't fly quite right.
                      Is that only since you installed the TVs, or was it always not quite right?

Funny how they hit the ball out of the park with the SU-35 but the MiG has been such a difficult child. (Nicely mixed metaphors there).

Comment

• I didn't put many flights on mine without TV's since they were crashing, FW/ Motion was sending out better servos, and the alpha lock issue. That said it had all the same oddities before the TVs too.

While I find the plane very cool, large, great presence, does great "tricks" and lands super smooth, etc, there's something disconcerting in the way it flies. I have this plane in the same category as my 90mm F-104 and B-2, a special day plane, though I'll fly it before either of those.

Comment

I didn't put many flights on mine without TV's since they were crashing, FW/ Motion was sending out better servos, and the alpha lock issue. That said it had all the same oddities before the TVs too.

While I find the plane very cool, large, great presence, does great "tricks" and lands super smooth, etc, there's something disconcerting in the way it flies. I have this plane in the same category as my 90mm F-104 and B-2, a special day plane, though I'll fly it before either of those.
                          I posted my ideas about the design issues over a year ago and won't bore you by repeating them here. Suffice it to say there are some fundamental design features that I take issue with, and beefing up the servos is just a band aid that while preventing the worst outcomes really doesn't address the fundamentals .

Comment

• I agree 100%.

Originally posted by kallend View Post

I posted my ideas about the design issues over a year ago and won't bore you by repeating them here. Suffice it to say there are some fundamental design features that I take issue with, and beefing up the servos is just a band aid that while preventing the worst outcomes really doesn't address the fundamentals .

Comment

I agree. The Mig is big and impressive in flight but it's not my "go to" jet for everyday fun flying. The Su-35 is OK but my absolute all time favorite is my highly modified Eflite Su-30. It's not a high alpha beast but it rocks in the big, fast, vertical maneuver arena.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

I agree. The Mig is big and impressive in flight but it's not my "go to" jet for everyday fun flying. The Su-35 is OK but my absolute all time favorite is my highly modified Eflite Su-30. It's not a high alpha beast but it rocks in the big, fast, vertical maneuver arena.
                                Do you still have the stock EDFs in it, or have you upgraded them...?

I've yet to grab my stones and maiden mine, but i did put some up-rated FMS fans in it for improved performance based on Hugh W's recommendations...

Comment

Well, the high alpha wobble was apparent in the video, which is why I made the comment. Not as good (yet) as the SU-35 at high alpha.
                                  Yeah, indeed not, that's a given ;)

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                                  Does it drift and deviate to the same side each time you pull a bit too hard on the pitch control
                                  Nope. (I don't think so, at least).

Comment

Do you still have the stock EDFs in it, or have you upgraded them...?
                                    Stock fans

Comment

Stock fans
                                      i should have been more clear - i meant in the EFL SU-30.

you're saying you still have the stock fans in that one, correct?

sorry...

Comment

i should have been more clear - i meant in the EFL SU-30.

you're saying you still have the stock fans in that one, correct?

sorry...
                                        My Su-30 does have upgraded fans. Also, dual batteries.

Comment

My Su-30 does have upgraded fans. Also, dual batteries.
                                          oh - one of those...🤣🤣

what fans did you put in...?

you had to delete the air brake to do the dual batteries, correct?

what batts and esc's are you using...?

I was really just looking for a fan upgrade, so i put the FMS 70mm in it. still only going to run 1 batt...

Comment

Working...
                                          X