Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-86 sabre freewing 80mm

Good morning

I'm new to the forum and just bought my first EDF, F-86 sabre high performance. I'm an intermediate pilot with ample stick time, mainly high and low wing aircraft. I"m nterested in learning all I can and doing thing right the first time. I was reaching out to the forum to provide any good tips on setup or even better a build video on the freewing F-86 80mm sabre. Radio set up battery position ect, other than what the manual suggests.

Thanks in advance, Tim

the fw f86 is a beautiful flying model! Its a wonderful intro into edfs assuming you have some previous low wing experience. I find that with any new aiplane...to setup multiple rates on all surfaces in case your flying style doesnt quite match the recomended throws. Also depending on how you prefer your setups...id do about 20% expo on elev...and about 30% on ailerons. The f86s ailerons are very very powerful so keep that in mind. On my f86 i ended up flying with a cg a bit behind the recomended cg but the recomended cg is a good place to start..and adjust from there. Also..if your new to edfs..try to avoid long periods of full thrpttle usage..or youll be hitting lvc sooner than youd like. The sabre doesnt require a ton of power to cruize nicely so use tgat to your advantage. Flaps are useful on landings for sure..Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Comment

Thanks for all the great info!

Comment

Can anyone recommend a set up for a first time EDF pilot ?

Comment

radio setup?

Comment

Yes yes I'm sorry radio settle next

Comment

Radio set up

Comment

Start with the recomended setting but have atleast 1 lower rate by about 25%. Normally i do full rate..mid at about 80% and low at 60% of the recomended throws

Comment

Thanks for your help much appreciated

Comment

Sure thing. If i still had mine id give you my actual throws but i no longer have it

Comment

First on mine I only fly 4000s easier on the gear second if you can find the metal retract reinforcements that they are adding on newer models get them

They will help save the gear from ripping out

Before you fly tug the gear sometimes the glues not right

Check that

On mine I have the 4000 sitting way back on top of the esc to do this I removed the wooden lockdown and used gorrila tape to hold it down so it's flat

I learned the hard way nose heavy is not good on this jet it will come in hot that's just me I fly neutral start off a tiny nose heavy then in flight go inverted if it dives down push battery back a little fly again do it again see what it does

Repeat this till when inverted it flys true then you have neutral

This jet loves neutral gear up when the gear goes down it just settles in sweet with full flaps it's wheelie city

I currently fly the high performance one on 4000s 3 minutes

If I go wot it comes down ten percent that's cutting it close

So I fly it half thottle slow flight I have other turn and burns

This jet flys slow great and landings are a piece of cake

The important thing to remember is nose heavy on this jet makes it very ...... Unforgiving unless long rotations and hot landings are your thing

I also put screen on my cheater vent the kind you use on windows

Keeps the rocks out of the fan that get bounced up by the nose gear

Hope this helps

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the great info. I'll do all and try all of what you suggest. Thanks a million !

Comment

One more thing. I just purchased my F-86 a week or so ago, high performance model. Hopefully, these have the updated gear, but not sure

Comment

Here's my battery placement it doesn't need a gyro mine is in there for rudder only 4000 mAh battery be sure to calibrate throttle it's airframe isn't really a high speed one I'm lucky to get 70 mph on down wind

It can loop ok but veritcal is limited

If this is your first edf and you fly 3300 to 4000s get an l 39 as your second easier to land than T 33
                            Attached Files

Comment

Let me know I'll post my settings if you need them I fly dx 9

Comment

Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                                X