First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BenOzzy94
    replied
    Originally posted by kallend View Post

No. I added TV - a functional addition that moves the CG back. I also added the FMS2100kV edf.

A nicer looking 3DP nozzle helps with the CG too.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4650359

That makes perfect sense if you like to throw her around like a rag doll :P my personal preference is realistic flight envelope and scale looks, i think the TV tail ruins the lines a bit too much for me.
    I'll definitely be adding a more powerful power combo but i fear it might end up lighter than the original

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    Originally posted by BenOzzy94 View Post
    Does anyone else feel dirty adding so much power sucking weight to the tail of this bird? I must be in the 80-100 grams range to get on the 130-135 mm cg range
    No. I added TV - a functional addition that moves the CG back. I also added the FMS2100kV edf.

A nicer looking 3DP nozzle helps with the CG too.

The Gripen needs weight in the tail to achieve an acceptable CG position. This nozzle has accommodation for up to 60g of small lead weights, in addition to weighing over 60 grams itself. Print wide-side down, with supports. You will need to peel off the plastic outer of the stock nozzle, and trim back the foam to leave a stub 13mm long to which you glue the new nozzle. I suggest taping the join on the inside to ensure smooth airflow,

Leave a comment:

• BenOzzy94
    replied
    Does anyone else feel dirty adding so much power sucking weight to the tail of this bird? I must be in the 80-100 grams range to get on the 130-135 mm cg range

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    A3S3 in mine. Very happy with the way it works in this airframe.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    I have the A3S3 in mine, working at 100Hz with digital servos (non-stock) that can take it. It works better than the previous S8R (FrSky stabilized receiver) I was using.
    It has less oscillation problems when flying in turbulent conditions. I will soon try and check how it does perform with a higher frequency.

Leave a comment:

• TangoVector
    replied
    Originally posted by wperry38 View Post
    dos anyone have a hobby eagle A 3 lite gyro in the jas 39 gripen
    I had the A3-L version in mine and would have preferred the pro or at least the new lite. The A3-L only had one gain for all three axis, and the Gripen needs to have different gain on different axis in my opinion. If you feel that you need a gyro that is.

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Originally posted by wperry38 View Post
    I have a HobbyEagle on mine. Just can't remember which one it is at the moment. Could be an A3-L or Lite. It's hooked up to the elevons and rudder.

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    I’m sure. I don’t have a gyro in either of mine…

Leave a comment:

• wperry38
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    Plus there are so many different FMS, FW, EF combos who knows what’s really valid. Some even swap around fans or motors.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    I heard from some that tested XFly against FMS and the FMS came on top.
    Also heard opposite reviews. I'm more inclined to think the FMS units are performing better, but I don't have data to prove it.

Leave a comment:

• TangoVector
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    So stock and no TV?
    I thought about it, but since I have gotten my hands on two SU35 ARF I will get my TV-fix from elsewhere

I have found a link to the new X-fly galaxy fan and motor combo which seems to promise a little too much but I might get one and see what it does to the performance of the jet. Consider it a mini review of sorts to see does the 3.4kg of thrust with a 6S lipo really add up.​

The XFLY is according to many on par with the FMS and rc-castle also have them matching in thrust. If I wanted more thrust I would get the Wemotec that also delivers 3.4kg but at 22.2V instead of 25V as the XFLY or FMS, but with higher Amps (and price) of course.​​

What has been said before at least, is that the Gripen is not getting enough air to the edf, so it might be a good idea to open up some cheaters on the top. I used the Freewing 90mm F16 cheater gilles and they fit very nicely, will move them over to the new one. I might also go for the XFLY together with a VGood ESC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gripen.jpg Views:	0 Size:	374.5 KB ID:	357266Click image for larger version  Name:	Cheater.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.3 KB ID:	357267

Leave a comment:

• BenOzzy94
    replied
    Well it seems the consensus is lighter weight is better than more thrust. I have found a link to the new X-fly galaxy fan and motor combo which seems to promise a little too much but I might get one and see what it does to the performance of the jet.
    Consider it a mini review of sorts to see does the 3.4kg of thrust with a 6S lipo really add up.​

Click image for larger version

Name:	xfly.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	357239
    Attached Files
    Buy EDF Ducted Fan XFly Galaxy XFLY-Model 80mm 12 blades + 6S Motor 2200KV

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    So stock and no TV? I have one 8S and with TV and another box stock no TV. I consider both my favorite EDF but I do seem to fly the stock one more. There may be various reasons but I would say less investment in time and money is probably #1, just charge one battery Forum Using 8S batteries that add up to about 850g the repainted TV'ed one is a bit heavier. But the stock one considering no TV's is very aerobatic.

Yeah, the Mirage is a benchmark even stock, even as it originally came with the low powered out runner.

Leave a comment:

• TangoVector
    replied
    Well, I have to admit it, my 8S 90mm Gripen project has come to an end. To sum it up, it got too heavy. With almost 5kg of thrust, performance is not the issue, but there is no nimbleness in the flying and the TV-system with some play in it doesn't make things better...
    So a new fuselage has arrived and everything except ESC and EDF will be moved over to the new model. I will do the same cheater hole installation on the top of the fuse and there will be a FMS edf in it and one or two gyros, other than that, going stock is the plan, unless anyone has some really good mods that should be done?​

Still if it gives me strong punch out like the mirage it might be worth it.
    Nothing punches out like the Mirage, just get used to disappointment

Leave a comment:

• BenOzzy94
    replied
    Thanks Airguardian. I'll have to look around,
    I was considering the Schubeler HSD fan and motor combo as apparently that'll provide 3+kg of thrust on 6s but it's a very costly power system. Still if it gives me strong punch out like the mirage it might be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Hey, Thanks Ben!

I was running the Jetfan 8S with a HET 1865kv motor (it's a combo you can find out there) with a Freewing 150A 8S ESC... but I don't recommend it.
    It's way too power hungry. Destroys and slaughters batteries as if they were made of thin tinfoil. Flight times down to 2:00 - 2:30min compared to the usual 4:30min with stock setup.
    Of course I get a better thrust and CG with this setup (EDF and ESC are heavier, and I further hacked foam to move EDF 2.5cm aft) but it's a massive pain in terms of flight time.

Wing loading also went up consistently which hurt the flight envelope quite a bit.

Instead, you'd better go for the other Jetfan 8S combo with the lesser kv motor that is not as hardcore as this one... or even better, stick to 6S but use an FMS EDF. You'll get better thrust on about the same flight-time and won't totally cripple flight performance by increasing the wing loading as much. My 2 cents :)

Leave a comment:

• BenOzzy94
    replied
    Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
    Congrats!
    I get 4S HRB 4200mAh 60C packs from AliExpress. They ship from the German Warehouse.
    Can usually get a couple for 100€, or, if you wait for coupons and offers (Black Friday is round the corner), can easily get them for much lower. Like 33€ each 4S pack or so.

May try and fetch you a link later.
    Thanks buddy, I must admit I do enjoy your videos of the gripen. Can you remember what power system you're using? I know it's 8s and I'd like to stay 6s for cg reasons but I think I might have to go 8s for acceleration reasons

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Congrats!
    I get 4S HRB 4200mAh 60C packs from AliExpress. They ship from the German Warehouse.
    Can usually get a couple for 100€, or, if you wait for coupons and offers (Black Friday is round the corner), can easily get them for much lower. Like 33€ each 4S pack or so.

May try and fetch you a link later.

Leave a comment:

• BenOzzy94
    replied
    Got my maiden done, after the mirage I was expecting a roller coaster but the rates are ok off the book. She is a kittycat really 😁, Now does anyone know where to get decent 4500 6s batteries in Europe 🤣
    Last edited by BenOzzy94; Sep 20, 2022, 06:08 AM. Reason: Using "kittycat" as the squawk thinks I was cursing 🤣

Leave a comment:

Working...
X