X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

I confirm Rudy's observation - the only iX20 option showing up with an elevon wing is canard with 1 servo output (you can have more than one servo, of course, by Y-ing them).

I thought I could finesse this by selecting "tailerons" to substitute for canards (since tailerons take both pitch and roll inputs) but that just makes the elevon outputs go screwy.
    I have been thinking about this and struggle to understand the issue. All one needs to select for wing type is elevons. Canards and TV are irrelevant as they are mixes. Canards in a Y harness plugged into Aux1 and mixed to elevator channel. Pitch on TV plugged into Aux 2 and mixed to elevator channel. Yaw on TV plugged into Aux3 and mixed to rudder channel. The gyro will command for example pitch correction to elevator channel and this in turn will be applied to the mixed channel as well, in this case the Canards.

what am I missing ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper911 View Post

I have been thinking about this and struggle to understand the issue. All one needs to select for wing type is elevons. Canards and TV are irrelevant as they are mixes. Canards in a Y harness plugged into Aux1 and mixed to elevator channel. Pitch on TV plugged into Aux 2 and mixed to elevator channel. Yaw on TV plugged into Aux3 and mixed to rudder channel. The gyro will command for example pitch correction to elevator channel and this in turn will be applied to the mixed channel as well, in this case the Canards.

what am I missing ?
      The gyro needs to know that the mix you are creating belongs to a flight surface in order to stabilize it. That information only gets forwarded to the gyro/receiver via forward programming. Technically you can mix anything to anything and it’ll work, but the gyro will only stabilize the receiver outputs that it know belong to flight surfaces.

Comment

what am I missing ?
        What you state is correct - for Spektrum and forward programming and the ability to do such things via the TX, however, many posts back, the talk was about adding a gyro like a HobbyEagle or Freewing or some such, where the gyro stabilization unit is placed inline between the RX and the servo. That's where it can get complicated to do what was being discussed - gyro controlled canards and TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          What you state is correct - for Spektrum and forward programming and the ability to do such things via the TX, however, many posts back, the talk was about adding a gyro like a HobbyEagle or Freewing or some such, where the gyro stabilization unit is placed inline between the RX and the servo. That's where it can get complicated to do what was being discussed - gyro controlled canards and TV.
          My apologies if I wasn’t clear but I’m referring specifically to Spektrum receivers that have AS3X built in and need to be programmed via the transmitter. I’m just trying to avoid having to add a second gyro dedicated to the vector nozzle.

Comment

• Originally posted by RudyD54 View Post

My apologies if I wasn’t clear but I’m referring specifically to Spektrum receivers that have AS3X built in and need to be programmed via the transmitter. I’m just trying to avoid having to add a second gyro dedicated to the vector nozzle.
            Yeah, I think that's the way to go. I'm just about to dip my toes into the forward programming thing myself. My flying buddies have been doing it for a short time now and it's going to be the next "best thing since sliced bread". My mental block is that these new AS3X receivers with higher channels (ie, 9-ch) are starting to get quite pricey. Just purchased the AR637T and the price kinda stung a little, especially when I've been using Lemon 10-ch RXs with HobbyEagle gyros at almost 1/2 the price. Add in a satellite antenna for the AS3X RX for certain applications and we're way up there.

Comment

what am I missing ?
              If your gyro suports it, then all good.
              But you will be stuck with a single gain setup for all your surfaces, which is not ideal (You often want to boost TV gain and lower aerodynamic surface gains).

Comment

what am I missing ?
                All I did was confirm Rudy's observation that the iX20 setup does not actually support elevons + dual servo canards. I'm not planning to do it that way myself, anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

If your gyro suports it, then all good.
                  But you will be stuck with a single gain setup for all your surfaces, which is not ideal (You often want to boost TV gain and lower aerodynamic surface gains).
                  True, I will have adjustable gain on the roller so can crank it up for slow alpha flying.

Comment

• Yep, still not ideal, but also not super-critical if you are not doing hardcore high alpha stuff a couple of meters off the ground I guess :)

Comment

• I love this thread, people solving problems that they don’t even know exist yet🤣

Comment

• Originally posted by Quickstop View Post
                        I love this thread, people solving problems that they don’t even know exist yet🤣
                        Ya we are a bunch of wack-a-doodles lol

Comment

I love this thread, people solving problems that they don’t even know exist yet🤣
                          It's called 'being proactive'.

Comment

At the top right of the page is a button that allows you to "UNSUBSCRIBE" to this thread.

Comment

• Love and peace ✌

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

At the top right of the page is a button that allows you to "UNSUBSCRIBE" to this thread.
                                WHAT? and miss all the fun!😅

Comment

• So exited and nervous to see the mail for the shipping popping
                                  up in my mail to see when she's coming home !!!

Comment

• Dude, relax...

Comment

• Actually... DON'T!
                                      I'M EXCITED TOO!!

Comment

• Marked “disappointed” as I still have no shipping email.

Gravy

Comment

• Phone rings:
                                          Me: Hello?
                                          Caller: Hey dookie, Whass uuuuup!
                                          Me: Just sittin' here, waitin' on my Gripen, drinkin' a Bud.
                                          Caller: True, true.
                                          Best regards,
                                          Cris B.
                                          AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
                                          NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

Working...
                                          X