Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan D
    replied
    Yes. I have three Gripens and two (both with TV) have the new EDF unit and reversing 100A ESC. The third is stock, no TV.

Leave a comment:

• fetzer
    replied
    Hello

Does anyone have experience in the Gripen with the new 80s impeller? 80mm 12-Blade EDF 6S Power System w/ 3658-2150Kv

​(currently not available in Germany)​

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• ArmorBolt
    replied
    For FrSky transmitter/receiver setup with the Gripen, I found this video help out a lot..

In this video, I setup the Freewing JAS-39 Gripen with Canards and Elevons using FrSky SR10+ receiver and X20S Transmitter. The standard JAS-39 required 7 ch...

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Wonderful paintjob! ^^

I also come with new goodies for y'all...

Enjoy the show!

Leave a comment:

• WarbirdFan66
    replied
    I just finished the last stage of my Gripen rework, so here a few pictures. For the guys who wanna see more, i upload the build video in the next few day to my Youtube channel, blue skys

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230802_123256_k300.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	383292Click image for larger version

Name:	20230802_123227_k300.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	383293Click image for larger version

Name:	20230802_123207_k300.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	383294Click image for larger version

Name:	20230802_123146_k300.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	383295Click image for larger version

Name:	20230802_123126_k300.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	383296Click image for larger version

Name:	20230802_123056_k300.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	383297Click image for larger version

Name:	20230802_123030_k300.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	383298

Leave a comment:

• ArmorBolt
    replied
    I am having problem setting up my FrSky X20/SR10 receiver with the Grippen setup. Can anyone share the model file for me, or any advice. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• ArmorBolt
    replied
    Hi guys, finally setting up my Gripen with Frsky X20 with a SR10+ and Thrust Vectoring. Does anyone has a FrSky setup or mostly of you guys used Spektrum radios.

If FrSky, could someone help..
    For my Frsky X20, when creating new model/Engine 1 channel, next screen.. Ailerons (do I put 1 or 2 channels), Flaps is no flaps, next screen Tail (do I put traditional tail)..
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Ankor
    replied
    Exactly!

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    Originally posted by Ankor View Post
    Hey Kallend,

Yes I did use your design! Many thanks for that and credits for a nice design ;) It worked like a charm.
    So what I understand is that this extra weight is fine in the case of the Gripen. Not to worry too much about it.
    Extra weight is never a good thing, but it's better than havng an out-of-balance plane.

Leave a comment:

• Ankor
    replied
    Hey Kallend,

Yes I did use your design! Many thanks for that and credits for a nice design ;) It worked like a charm.
    So what I understand is that this extra weight is fine in the case of the Gripen. Not to worry too much about it.

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    Originally posted by Ankor View Post
    Hey guys,

I maidened my Gripen a couple of days ago. It was a blast to fly and everything went well! I do have a question though. In order to balance it I had to replace the factory tail with a 3D printed one plus some extra lead weights. This added in total about 120gr to the plane. I am generally against adding dead weight to my planes but this one I couldn’t balance without it. I am balancing at 135mm btw. It’s a lot of extra weight though and I am curious how it is for your Gripens. I have read that it’s better to replace the EDF with a heavier one but I don’t want to do this right from the start. Please share how you balanced your models as well as any advice for that.

Cheers!
    As the designer of a "Heavy Nozzle" (maybe you used my design) the farther back you add weight to balance the plane at the proper place, the less weight you need to add, which is why the nozzle is the best place to add weight,

The Gripen needs weight in the tail to achieve an acceptable CG position. This nozzle has accommodation for up to 60g of small lead weights, in addition to weighing over 60 grams itself. Print wide-side down, with supports. You will need to peel off the plastic outer of the stock nozzle, and trim back the foam to leave a stub 13mm long to which you glue the new nozzle. I suggest taping the join on the inside to ensure smooth airflow,

Just putting in a heavier fan unit requires more additional weight because it is closer to the CG, and as Evan stated, you need a LOT of additional power from the new unit to make up for that extra weight. Reversing the nosegear is an option but is a lot of work. With an even lighter pack than your 4000 you will be cutting into flight time.

Better to add 120g extra and have the correct CG than add nothing and have a nose heavy airplane,.

Even with a TV unit it can do with a little more weight in the tail: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4763795

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    It flies great, even my heavier 8S does, but my favorite is my 6S on with TV.

Leave a comment:

• Ankor
    replied
    Thanks again mate. Then it doesn’t sound much different than you since I don’t have the missiles. Do you think that I should find ways to reduce that extra weight or do you thing that 120 grams are not that bad after all? (For this plane ofc)

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    You have a heavier battery but you also are not balancing as far back. On the one I do not have TVs on, by memory, about 100g. Oh, and I fly with wing tip missiles that add tail weight.

Leave a comment:

• Ankor
    replied
    Thanks for the detailed reply! I indeed don’t have the tv unit and that’s why I opted for the 3D printed nozzle. It also adds weight. As for the batteries I am flying with the admiral 4000s pro which weigh 625g. I ll try some of your options but could you also tell me how much dead weight you added approximately? 120gr in my case feels a lot IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    It's all how much weight how far forward or rearward. I assume you either do not have the TV unit (it adds tail weight) and/ or a heavy battery (nose weight).

Options,
    Lighter battery. I use a 545-575g 5000mAh Power Hobby in my three Gripens (one is 8S and I add a 2S to that)
    TV unit, even if you don't use it a lot it's a good way to add weight very far aft.
    Remove weight up front, the pilot, the magnets in the nose, move the nose retract aft.
    Dead weight, even with a light battery and TV I have had to add weight to all mine to get the balance around 30mm behind the CG marks. On the stock 6S with TV I added just a little but on my 8S and stock 6S without TV it was a lot more. Add it into the tail cone if possible, the further back the better.

Putting in a heavier EDF unit, unless it is much more powerful, to me isn't a good idea as the fan is not that far back. If you modify where the fan is to be further back that wold work but it's not easy to do.

Leave a comment:

• Ankor
    replied
    Hey guys,

I maidened my Gripen a couple of days ago. It was a blast to fly and everything went well! I do have a question though. In order to balance it I had to replace the factory tail with a 3D printed one plus some extra lead weights. This added in total about 120gr to the plane. I am generally against adding dead weight to my planes but this one I couldn’t balance without it. I am balancing at 135mm btw. It’s a lot of extra weight though and I am curious how it is for your Gripens. I have read that it’s better to replace the EDF with a heavier one but I don’t want to do this right from the start. Please share how you balanced your models as well as any advice for that.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Definitely move the CG back and max throws out.

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    Sorry to hear that. Tall-ish grass? Wet? Maybe moving the CG back a little more (mine is 30-35mm aft of marks)...

Leave a comment:

• Yellowred
    replied
    Hi guys, planned maiden flight with the Gripen today, light winds and warm sunshine, c of g about 10mm rear, 5000mah Lipo, doesn't have Tv, we have a 65metre grass strip and it wouldn't rotate, tried a couple of times, Have it all mixed as per the Motion Recomendations, all that happened was the roll off strip into the long grass pulled a retract loose, disappointed

Leave a comment:

Working...
X