X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
    Single-gyro scheme for elevons & canards - does it make sense?

Mine's expected to arrive Thursday.

I cut the hot glue off my receiver connectors and tried this. It seems to work fine. Anyone know of a reason that this will not work??
    The Fr-Sky S8R has stabilization for two aileron and two elevator servos but this does not work in delta wing mode. I have a A3Super3 I was going to install in it for the canards but if this works it will be a little less nose weight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Anders Boström View Post
      Found a major design mistake on Gripen.😅
      There is your excuse for a full paint job!

Comment

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post

👍😆

Comment

• Finished my lighting upgrade. Two white tail lights, strobe on the fin plus two more landing lights (the locomotive light has been replaced as well). Light module is running on a separate channel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4181.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	285520

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

I know Frode tried with the black hobby eagle, but had trouble getting all the mixes to work correctly from both the sticks and the gyro compensation. Pretty sure it's doable, but not quite sure what he did and didn't try.

Any news on VT ETA?
            Not yet on the VT Jan. You'll be the last person I tell for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

I know Frode tried with the black hobby eagle, but had trouble getting all the mixes to work correctly from both the sticks and the gyro compensation. Pretty sure it's doable, but not quite sure what he did and didn't try.

Any news on VT ETA?
              I tried the black HobbyEagle A3 Super and couldn't get it to work for the canards using a delta setting in the gyro and pass-throughs on each canard for A2 and E2.

I'm using it just with elevon and rudder stabilization right now.

Might try again later or just use another blue HobbyEagle for the canards that I have on hand.

Comment

• Gyro set up as 2 elevator 2 aileron.

Canards are Ailerons 1 and 2, elevons are Elevators 1 and 2.

Do mixing on your controller

elevons->Canarderons to make Canards work as elevator
                Canarderons->elevons to make your elevons do ailerons

Now Both your Canards and Elevators will do pitch and roll. Roll stab gyro will be on Canard and pitch stab gyro is on elevon

Comment

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post
                  The Fr-Sky S8R has stabilization for two aileron and two elevator servos but this does not work in delta wing mode.
                  S8R has elevon mixing. I am using it in mine. ;)

(Although I use a separate gyro for the canards)

Comment

• Fixed it on mine... Waiting on graphics though...

Name:	No graphics.jpeg
Views:	778
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	285533Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	285534
                    Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post

I tried the black HobbyEagle A3 Super and couldn't get it to work for the canards using a delta setting in the gyro and pass-throughs on each canard for A2 and E2.

I'm using it just with elevon and rudder stabilization right now.

Might try again later or just use another blue HobbyEagle for the canards that I have on hand.
                      I'm going to try doing the "X" linking between the elevons and canards like what Fred is going to try (see the diagram that he posted up earlier). The only question left to answer is to see whether or not the proper travel directions can be maintained without the use of reversers. I'll try it with a Lemon stab PLUS RX first. If this can be done, it will save some channels and no mixing required except for when the VT nozzle gets here. Then one mix needed for the nozzle's pitch servo. If the X-linking doesn't work, I've got a Lemon 10-ch RX and HobbyEagle A3-L to gyro just the elevons and rudder. I'll tinker with it tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

Not yet on the VT Jan. You'll be the last person I tell for sure
                        roflmao, you are fired!! :D
                        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

S8R has elevon mixing. I am using it in mine. ;)

(Although I use a separate gyro for the canards)
                          Did you try making it work on Aux1 and Aux2 ?? I could never make it work when it was mixing for elevon. Mixing at the transmitter might work if you set it up for conventional wing mode and can control all four channels. I didn't mess with that much though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                            Fixed it on mine... Waiting on graphics though...

Nice. Can't wait for pics with decals..

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                              Fixed it on mine... Waiting on graphics though...

Awe yayahhhhhh.....8S for the win. Ha-ha

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post

Without thrust vectoring (TV), you only need 7 channels to have the canards operating in both pitch and roll.

There's some debate as to how the canards "should" operate. Scale they operate in pitch only. The manual has them operating in pitch and roll.

Technically, you only need 6 channels (or even 5) to fly the model, but it would take a reverse servo and a Y-lead to accomplish on 6 channels. Out of the box, without TV, your DX7 will work fine.
                                mine set up on 5 channels using 2 y-leads

Comment

• Just finished fiddling with the Gripen getting the RX and gyro set up. Didn't take long. I X-linked each elevon with the diagonal canard. Had to experiment with which elevon going into which port and doing some reversing in the TX to get it all to work in the proper directions before turning the gyro ON. Then had to reverse gyro direction on a couple of the axis. All done and it works like a damn. Only needed 5 channels. Still one empty one left for the TV pitch servo. TV yaw servo will be "Y'd" to the rudder. On the table, connections didn't exactly match what was shown in Fred's diagram but I'm not surprised. Stuff never seem to happen in real life as they should on paper. But it all turned out real good. Won't be able to test it till next spring. I've flown planes with this gyro RX in other planes and it works extremely well. I won't fly it anyway till the VT nozzle gets put on.
                                  In this video, I show the RX, then operate all the sticks to make sure it al works as it should. Then I picked up the RX and moved in roll, and pitch to show it all responds as it should. Rudder was good, didn't show it.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                                    I flew mine four flights yesterday...wow I really like this one. CG at 135mm, gyro on elevons only. Canards used for pitch only. Roaring Top 4400 70C battery moved 20mm aft by removing foam from the fuselage. 56g lead in tail.

https://youtu.be/ToEm5vohYbw
                                    CG at 135mm where are you measuring from pl;ease ?

forget that question

Comment

• Originally posted by gazza View Post

CG at 135mm where are you measuring from pl;ease ?
                                      I pondered over this myself but upon inspection, the mark at 122 is measured from NOT where the attachable wing's front point meets the fuse, BUT rather from the part of the fuse that starts forming the wing. To make it simple, take the mark as being 122 and measure back from there the difference you want. So, in the case of 135mm, go further back from the marks another 13mm.

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

Hey Fred, which Gyro are you going to use? I used a blue Eagle AL-3 in the delta setup and it doesn't control the canards even with the mix. Are you going to try to Y-Lead opposite Elevon to Canard?

I have thought about attempting to try the A3 Super 3 as with that one you can have 2 aileron and 2 elevator ports. That might work, but my brain is confused trying to think about it at the moment
                                        my set up. i use this Freewing 3 Axis Flight Stabilizer / Gyro. no Y needed. u have to try the on and off of ail and elev gyro switch to mix it all in the right way and use gyro delta mix not radio mix. the hard part doing this way is making sure all wings are in zero level. i have to adjust mechanically the canard left wing. James, my question to you is this, how many "bit" is this Freewing 3 Axis Flight Stabilizer / Gyro ? the super gyro has 32-bit MCU w/c means faster response. ( ie, heli gyro needs fastest "bit" in millisecond)

Comment

• Continued flying my Gripen with four more flights yesterday. It takes off from our grass field easily even with dead calm wind. The CG at 135mm makes it quick to rotate and fly. Trim upright and inverted is almost identical...only a very slight push on the stick when inverted. From straight and level inverted the plane will outside loop easily. It has a quite wide speed range....fast at the top end and slows to a crawl at high alpha. Very stable at all speeds with no noticeable wing rocking so far....flying with the gyro on elevons and only in calm condtitions. Landings are nice...high alpha with power to control descent and it rolls on gently.

Flying the Gripen and the Mig 29 back to back is quite a contrast. The Mig is like a big stately sedan and the Gripen akin to a Ferrari.

Comment

Working...
                                          X