Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me attempt to steer this back on course.

Still trying to solder my FMS 80mm unit. The enamel coating on the stranded wires is a headache, and I have not found the correct solution to dissolve the coating so I can solder some extensions on it.
    Other than mechanical means of removal such as sand paper and scraping, anybody know how to remove this damn coating?

Comment

• Elbee
      Elbee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. KM. Best, LB

• Originally posted by KevinMar View Post
    Let me attempt to steer this back on course.

Still trying to solder my FMS 80mm unit. The enamel coating on the stranded wires is a headache, and I have not found the correct solution to dissolve the coating so I can solder some extensions on it.
    Other than mechanical means of removal such as sand paper and scraping, anybody know how to remove this damn coating?
    Which wires are you extending? The ones (3) from the motor to the ESC or the power leads (2) from the ESC to the battery compartment?
    I'm using the same FMS EDF as you. I only needed to extend the reach to the battery compartment, so only the 2 wire leads needed to be extended. Rather than cutting the connectors off and trying to solder bare wire to bare wire, I just made about a 6" extension using new wire and new EC5 sleeves. You can still do it by soldering new bullet connectors onto the bare wire ends. It's a lot easier to shove the bare wire end (after you've tinned it) into the well of a new connector and then melting solder onto the wire and into the well. The hot solder pool will infiltrate the bare wire in the well and when it cools, it's all stuck in there quite solidly.

Comment

• Originally posted by specialk View Post
      If someone would wanted to install a ubec could this be done? would you have to unplug something cause somewhere or another there is something powering the receiver when you plug in the main battery.
      Thank's for any help
      I've memory serves me correctly (I've hung my Gripen up for winter now), the stock set up uses a built-in BEC in the ESC and the power comes from the middle red wire in the throttle lead. If you're going to use an external BEC, you'll need to either cut or yank out the middle red wire pin from the plug. Then you'll have to plug your UBEC into any empty port on the RX. If you don't have an empty port, then "Y" the UBEC to any port.

Comment

• xviper I'm trying to extend the 3 motor wires. I had no idea they were insulated, so I cut them about 1/4" back, and planned on meshing, twisting, then soldering stranded wire to stranded wire to extend the motor wires to reach the ESC.

Comment

xviper I'm trying to extend the 3 motor wires. I had no idea they were insulated, so I cut them about 1/4" back, and planned on meshing, twisting, then soldering stranded wire to stranded wire to extend the motor wires to reach the ESC.
          I see. The principle is the same. Try to solder new bullets back on and make an extension out of the same gauge wire with more bullets. It's easier to solder those wire ends into a bullet than it is to solder bare wire to bare wire. Take about 1/8" to 3/16" of insulation off the ends first, then tin that before inserting into the well of a bullet. I've done many like that. No need to clean off the coating. When sinking bare wire into a pool of solder as in the well of a bullet, it will take.

PS. I think your using the same EDF as me. Mine is the 2100kv FMS fan and I also got the ESC from FMS as well. The FMS ESC wires, coupled to the motor wires were just the right length. It was the dual power wires that were too short to reach the battery compartment.

Comment

xviper I'm trying to extend the 3 motor wires. I had no idea they were insulated, so I cut them about 1/4" back, and planned on meshing, twisting, then soldering stranded wire to stranded wire to extend the motor wires to reach the ESC.
            I think your only option at this point would be to scrape the wire with a razor. I've had to do it on smaller wire but nothing that large and that many conductors... It will take some time!

Comment

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post

I think your only option at this point would be to scrape the wire with a razor. I've had to do it on smaller wire but nothing that large and that many conductors... It will take some time!
              My solution was to 'flatten' the stranded wire and use sandpaper to get it down to the bare wire. Took about 10 minutes in total, but I had previously spent a lot more time googling and trying various chemicals

Comment

• OK, sorry about the "politics"...I forget that they're one in the same lately...

OK, I AM READY! I moved the cg to 15mm behind the line on the wing. I went to full throws with 50% expo. 3 batteries charged (HRB 6000's) and first flight set to 3.5 minutes just to see what it looks like after the first 3 batteries of trim and getting used to it. Hoping that if I can fly with mixed throttle like I do with the Avanti - 1/2 to 2/3 most of the time... and bump another 30-60 seconds - but I need to see how aggressively I fly.

I'll be back later with a story I'm sure, and it is going to have a great ending, too! :)

Thanks for all the help everyone!
                Mark

Comment

• Here's another flight with my 8S Wemotec setup: plenty enough power/speed/verticals

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• Good news for Gripen owners!

I decided to do some testing with stock power before proceeding to install the 80mm Jetfan.
                    Checked out the ESC with programming card and it comes stock at medium timing... so I set it up to high timing instead (and set low voltage cut off at minimum while at that) and tested the jet out in the field. What a difference! It's still not the most 'lively' setup but the increase in thrust was considerable, and the amps didn't skyrocket too badly. I was still able to make 4:00 - 4:30 min flights with plenty of sustained full-throttle (throttle management too, of course) and batts came down at 3.7v/cell. Hotter and more puffy than usual but they are Nanotechs, it is to be expected. Panthers wouldn't have a problem with this and other newer, better batteries won't either. I can not tell you that this will not over-stress the ESC and/or motor over time and eventually kill them (as I only made two flights so far) but they seemed to take it well enough.

So, for those wondering, they can squish more juice out of their stock setup with this little trick. Quite worth it if you ask me, the jet was more enjoyable.

Comment

• Hey guys did any one have problems with there Gripen retracts...? I cycle 1st time and only front and landing light came on, then next 5 cycles front /right and retracts and landing light OK but left retract never came cycled, 7th cycle all retracts cycle but landing light off and left retract only 60% came down. Sent ticket to motion rc 14th November and respond on the 19th then the 20th Brad said he would send me label, on the 28th I called motion rc and was told that label was never sent and it was there so I ask the person (never gave name..?) to send me TXT of label to send out he said sure and never sent me TXT, don't understand why Brad choose not to send and second person not to send either very bad customer service has anyone have such problems with Brad cause 2nd time I have problems with him. They say there veteran run but I'm also a 10yr veteran and even so good customer service should be for everyone! Don't know what to do so opened a case with PayPal, but I think I'm done with motion rc, I've spent nearly $3,100 on motion rc in jets and warbirds but I guess that not enough for good service, pre-order Sept 27th and got Nov 7th and now I have to wait another 6 weeks for service unacceptable any help from anyone would be very appreciative guys, have a great flying day guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                        so I set it up to high timing instead (and set low voltage cut off at minimum while at that) and tested the jet out in the field.
                        If I remember from rc cars, higher timing can lead to lower torque and higher motor temps. Hard to determine motor temps with an EDF, but did you notice a difference in how it reacted to aggressive throttle inputs?
                        If higher timing gives more thrust with no downside, why would they ship it with medium timing?

Comment

If I remember from rc cars, higher timing can lead to lower torque and higher motor temps. Hard to determine motor temps with an EDF, but did you notice a difference in how it reacted to aggressive throttle inputs?
                          If higher timing gives more thrust with no downside, why would they ship it with medium timing?
                          Why did they specify a CG that no-one seems to like? Why ship a MiG and then have to replace its elevator servos?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Comment

• When do we expect more stock to arrive into the EU warehouse for this model ?? Thanks

Comment

Its about safety, as with CG, they have to deliver å package that are supposed to work good as is. With out getting a bad reputation because customers burn up their planes ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by rms View Post
                                Its about safety, as with CG, they have to deliver å package that are supposed to work good as is.
                                Mig 29.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Mig 29.
                                  That's a whole other huge can of worms, isn't it?

Comment

I did not say there are no downsides. The motor will draw more amps, so both the motor and ESC will be more strained. Batteries will suffer more if they are not spec'd properly.
                                    That's not to say it is a bad idea. ;)

Comment

• Powering it with a charged 6s through the stock ESC?

Originally posted by DannyR1 View Post
                                      Hey guys did any one have problems with there Gripen retracts...? I cycle 1st time and only front and landing light came on, then next 5 cycles front /right and retracts and landing light OK but left retract never came cycled, 7th cycle all retracts cycle but landing light off and left retract only 60% came down. Sent ticket to motion rc 14th November and respond on the 19th then the 20th Brad said he would send me label, on the 28th I called motion rc and was told that label was never sent and it was there so I ask the person (never gave name..?) to send me TXT of label to send out he said sure and never sent me TXT, don't understand why Brad choose not to send and second person not to send either very bad customer service has anyone have such problems with Brad cause 2nd time I have problems with him. They say there veteran run but I'm also a 10yr veteran and even so good customer service should be for everyone! Don't know what to do so opened a case with PayPal, but I think I'm done with motion rc, I've spent nearly $3,100 on motion rc in jets and warbirds but I guess that not enough for good service, pre-order Sept 27th and got Nov 7th and now I have to wait another 6 weeks for service unacceptable any help from anyone would be very appreciative guys, have a great flying day guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                        Good news for Gripen owners!

So, for those wondering, they can squish more juice out of their stock setup with this little trick. Quite worth it if you ask me, the jet was more enjoyable.

"It's better to burn out than fade away"

I'm so doing this mod!

Comment

Working...
                                        X