Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowred
    replied
    Thanks Evan D, ill move my c of g back a little, do you fly with a lot of canard movement? I Have mine down to about 70% but it still looks like a lot of movement? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    I don't have a gyro in any of mine. Unfortunately the marks are very nose heavy and 30-35 is simply where I find it needs to be to fly balanced and without a crazy amount of up trim. If there were no marks and I had to determine where to put the CG it's simply where I would end up. When I say my three Gripens, I have three different one's I fly regularly. One box stock 6S no TV, one stock 6S with TV and one repainted 8S and TV.

Leave a comment:

• Yellowred
    replied
    Are you guys flying with Giro?

Leave a comment:

• Yellowred
    replied
    Wow 30mm rear c of g! I guess that helps the high alfa landings

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    I'm like 30mm aft of the marks on my three Gripens. Travel is about the book high amounts.

Leave a comment:

• Yellowred
    replied
    hi Guys I'm ready to maiden my Gripen, I have gone by the book and just wondered how you have found the best c of g setting and how much movement on the canards?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Airguardian
    replied
    Last landing was butter!

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    Yeah, specs are up to 9V. A 2S is OK but not 3S. You may be surprised by HH and get new ones.

Leave a comment:

• jasmith41
    replied
    Originally posted by kallend View Post

Suggest you look at flightengr's blog on RCGroups. He deals extensively with the unlocking issue. I unlocked and reprogrammed an AR637TA using his method and it works fine.

The probablity that you have three independently defective receivers taken from different planes is fairly remote. The common factor would seem to be the individual who attempted to unlock and reset them.
    I'm guessing i fried all three of these when i plugged the 3s batt directly into them...

I'm sending the in to Spektrum today to see what they come up with, but I'm guessing that will be the verdict and they'll probably tell me to pound salt - to which I would expect and wouldn't blame them... More operator error... :)

Live and learn. Heavy is the head that wears the crown... :)

Leave a comment:

• jasmith41
    replied
    Originally posted by kallend View Post

Suggest you look at flightengr's blog on RCGroups. He deals extensively with the unlocking issue. I unlocked and reprogrammed an AR637TA using his method and it works fine.

The probablity that you have three independently defective receivers taken from different planes is fairly remote. The common factor would seem to be the individual who attempted to unlock and reset them.
    Thanks kallend - you're probably spot on as usual on the operator error. I'll check the guy on rc groups - thanks for the direction!

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

Evan, have you ever heard of these ar637ta receivers going dead after updating them and resetting them to factory defaults...?

I had 3 of them go dead on me. Spares from planes, but wanted to update and unlock them so i could use them in other planes...

Any thoughts?

Spektrum is clueless on the issue. I'm sending all three of them back to them to try to figure it out...

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    I'm not the one to ask. I mostly use Orange and I think the only one of those I have is in my V1200 and I never updated it. Sorry.

Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

Evan, have you ever heard of these ar637ta receivers going dead afgter updating them and resetting them to factory defaults...?

I had 3 of them go dead on me. Spares from planes, but wanted to update and unlock them so i could use them in other planes...

Any thoughts?

Spektrum is clueless on the issue. I'm sending all three of them back to them to try to figure it out...

Leave a comment:

• jasmith41
    replied
    Evan, have you ever heard of these ar637ta receivers going dead after updating them and resetting them to factory defaults...?

Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• jasmith41
    replied
    Evan, have you ever heard of these ar637ta receivers going dead afgter updating them and resetting them to factory defaults...?

Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    Both AS3X and SAFE are Spektrum trade marked terms. In general AS3X is a gyro system and SAFE is a self leveling system.

Most FreeWing aircraft have a mixing board in the plane to enable them to use simpler 6 channels system for the basic aircraft. In some cases more are needed like the F-14 has wing sweep, the F-104 and Eurofighter have air brakes. Many people bypass these mixing boards to have additional functions on their aircraft and that usually means extra channels. A easy example is many separate the steering from the board to be able to have separate trim and rates for steering, extra channel. Also if you have a gyro or self leveling you may need additional cannels for those. For the Gripen if you want TV you need two extra channels for that too. To confuse it a bit some Spektrum receivers have hidden channels in them for things like AS3X and SAFE. If you go that route be very specific in your questions about the transmitter, receiver and set up you are wanting to do.

Spektum also has SMART. It's only as smart as your system is and you know how to use it. The ESCs that FW uses are not SMART.

Spares for "these models"... FreeWing keeps their models and spares around for longer than any other brand in my opinion. I have seen some brands discontinue something 6 months after release. I've seen THAT brand also discontinue and then rerelease a model. My opinion is if you like something get a spare (maybe a kit+) as it usually won't go down in price and you don't know when it'll be discontinued. If, in the future you decide not to build that spare it seems there are others that will want it because, well, it was a good plane....

I do not suggest the Gripen as a first EDF since it is a bit more advanced to set up and a bit more to fly. If you have the standard plane experience and the money the 70-80mm size is a great starting point. My suggestion is the 80mm F-86 (scale) or Avanti (sport jet) for a first EDF. But I do suggest making sure you are comfortable with a prop plane first. And ask for help where you fly when it come time to maiden it.

When I got into planes at a very early age my have to have was the Fokker DR-1. I built paper ones, free flight rubber band ones, free flight and control line small glow ones. I knew when I got into RC in the late 1960's that was my goal. I bought the kit I knew I would want to fly in 1976 but stashed it away and built it over 1979/1980. I didn't fly it until a year or two after that even. But making sure I could fly it and only flying it on days the weather was good means I still have that cherished plane. It's had three or four different glow power systems and is now electric but I still have it and I still fly it. Get from that any moral you want.

Welcome to the forums.

Leave a comment:

• Piffis
    replied
    So, I've read a lot of the pages in this thread, but must admit haven't managed to go over all 111. 😏

I'm a rookie. But love the looks of these scale RC aircraft. Being a Swede it's extra fun to see a Gripen model.
    I've flown a bit of RC helicopter before, nothing advanced.
    I bought myself a high-wing trainer, NX10 and a Simulator. The trainer is a Spektrum BNF with SAFE/AS3X feature + panic button. This is nice to have as a rookie.

My goal is to fly these scale jets and I was thinking of making Gripen the first in my collection.

I've got a few questions that are likely so basic that they were never asked in this thread as you all seem to be very experienced.
    1. To get the equivalent to SAFE/AS3X I understand I need a gyro, or a Spektrum received with SAFE/AS3X. According to the FW webpage 7 channel is required. So could I get the Spektrum AR8360T (8 ch with SAFE/AS3X) and use it similar to my trainer?
      If this receiver is ok, are there a lot of setting to be made? The trainer just works out the box.
    2. I'd like telemetry in order to be notified when the batteries go low. The receiver AR8360T seem to support it, but would I then need to replace the ESC as well?
    3. Do people generally buy spares to keep on stock? How long are these models typically available? If I don't get spares now, will I typically be in trouble in a few months when I crash? (if not earlier 😂)
    4. As I don't have any experience with EDF, my goal is to cruise and I'm happy if I land safely. So no TV or so for me at this moment.
      Is the Gripen a different beast? Is it extremely difficult to fly even compared to a "standard EDF" and I should re-think and buy another model as an entry model?
    OMG, I see Freewing B2, I see Freewing F16, I see... this will be an expensive hobby.. especially if not landing safe 😣

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    There is no standard for C ratings if you do some reading. The thing is to try a battery and if it performs to your satisfaction get more. As an example I’ve had 25C ones that work great I’m these 100A 80mm fans but I’ve had 50’s and 60’s that puff. Right now I’m using ones that have 100 on the label and even though they work great they work about as my 50C do.

the Gripen needs light batteries to balance so think of it as a trade off between mAh, C, and weight. What are you using in your MiG?

Leave a comment:

• Markpawlawski
    replied
    I have a Freewing Mig29 with twin 80 mm inducted fans. What’s the max C rating on the battery that I can use for this plane does anyone know

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    Very much so. If I had to have only one the stock TV would be the one I would have. I thought it would have significantly less power from the non TV but it doesn't. I flew the two 6S with Power Hobby 5000 100C that weigh 555-575g and fly for 4:30 on the non-TV and 4:10 for the TV so I am on the throttle a little more. The 8S one uses the same battery plus a 250g 2S and flys for 4:10.

Both the non TV and 8S TV needed quite a bit of weight in the tail to get the balance I like of about 25mm behind the marks. The 6S TV balanced easily at 25mm with no extra weight. That said I added about 25g in the tail cone to allow me to go to about 35mm OR use a slightly heavier 5200 (at 25mm) that I may use at some point.

Leave a comment:

• SanExup
    replied
    You're part way there! Are tou pleased with the stock TV performance in comparison to the Uruguayan setup?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X