Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      You installed a 90mm fan? Have you flown it yet?

yes, i maiden flight 10x with different batteries 5.5k, 6k, 5k, for 2.5 minutes and 15% @end
      its fast and heavy. descent quick, very little glides characteristic, alpha/flare in landing
      lost control easily, always powered or need more cruising speed than normal.

using gyro but worse than with 80mm. set up is same in the book.

may be im wrong in my observation. need to try more flight.

Comment

• Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Tested the Jetfan today. The plane still flew fine with CG 24mm aft from factory marks on the wings. The jet clearly had more power but I also noticed that closing the cheater with the net made the gain not as significant as it could be.

The bad news is that I crashed, as I drained the battery in bare 3min of use. I didn't even push the jet hard through the flight as I was testing it, so clearly, the 8S 3Ah packs are kinda limited for this setup, despite being perfectly fine on the Eurofighter running a 90mm fan. Cells came down at 3.2V, my bad.

The good news is that I kinda managed to drop the jet on top of some bushes and the damage was minimal.

:/

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
            I like your storage racks.
            Designed them together with dad. Told him what I wanted, he made a concept, I improved it substantially with a few ideas and then he built it.
            Can't complain!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mtpisgah99 View Post

yes, i maiden flight 10x with different batteries 5.5k, 6k, 5k, for 2.5 minutes and 15% @end
              its fast and heavy. descent quick, very little glides characteristic, alpha/flare in landing
              lost control easily, always powered or need more cruising speed than normal.
              Thanks for the info and video, what is the all up mass with your setup? I have planned to shoehorn the FMS 90mm that will add 200 grams and an 8S 3300mah combo will weigh as an Admiral 6S/5000. So I'm hoping I will not be too heavy for high alpha stuff. Some weight will be gained after carving out foam and mounting a 3dp thrust tube. Any other things you have learned?

Looking forward to some flight footage if it is available later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

The bad news is that I crashed, as I drained the battery in bare 3min of use. I didn't even push the jet hard through the flight as I was testing it, so clearly, the 8S 3Ah packs are kinda limited for this setup, despite being perfectly fine on the Eurofighter running a 90mm fan. Cells came down at 3.2V, my bad.

The good news is that I kinda managed to drop the jet on top of some bushes and the damage was minimal.

Wow, you take the scale realism to new heights by re-enacting the 1993 Gripen crash at the Stockholm water festival

Good to hear the damage was minimal and looking forward to hear more about your new setup as you get it back in the air.

Comment

• Anyone know what rockets/missiles will fit on the Gripen 's wing tip

Comment

• Originally posted by Tigerman View Post
                    Anyone know what rockets/missiles will fit on the Gripen 's wing tip
                    I used the big ones from the MiG29. Painted one red and the other one blue. I think the smaller ones will also fit the slots.

Comment

Designed them together with dad. Told him what I wanted, he made a concept, I improved it substantially with a few ideas and then he built it.
                      Can't complain!
                      Sorry, I can't find the racks you are referring to. Perhaps becoming blind ( which is not good for RC). Please could you post a link or post #. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tigerman View Post
                        Anyone know what rockets/missiles will fit on the Gripen 's wing tip
                        Did you check Thingiverse? There are several 1:9 scale missiles on there (I have posted Sidewinder and IRIS-T, and someone else posted a Meteor.

Sidewinder at 1/9 scale for Freewing Gripen. Lug fits the keyhole in the wingtip rail. The mid section has breakaway support at the base to stabilize during upright printing. They look like fins with pads at the base. They can easily be removed after printing. Suggest printing lug solid for strength, 15% infill for the rest.

1:9 scale IRIS-T missile with lug to fit Freewing Gripen wingtip rail. The nose section has some breakaway parts that look like fins to support it upright while printing. These are not part of the missile - remove after printing. Will need supports. Underwing pylons at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4713773

There are also underwing pylons posted.

These are a modified versions of the missile pylons by Bettsmums. These have their own mounting hardware. The lug and socket are the same as the Freewing standard. and should be printed separately with high infill for strength. The main body needs to be light - I used 10% infill. A socket is also placed under the wing so the rail can be removed. Depending on the accuracy of the printer, the lug and socket may need to be trimmed to make a good but not loose sliding fit. Be aware that there are small differences between the inner and outer pylons. They go immediately ahead of the bulges on the underside of the wing. Bettsmums' original is at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4708956

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoVector View Post
                          Wow, you take the scale realism to new heights by re-enacting the 1993 Gripen crash at the Stockholm water festival
                          Lol, wasn't quite the plan!

​​​​​​​
                          Originally posted by russ t View Post
                          Sorry, I can't find the racks you are referring to. Perhaps becoming blind ( which is not good for RC). Please could you post a link or post #. Thanks.
                          https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...273#post296273

Comment

• New video with red smoke (from before Jetfan upgrade) :)

Comment

Can't complain!

Ripoff! :D
                              Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• LOL

I, of course, started by checking out racks made by others to get ideas, but I'm fairly confident the output is original enough! ^^

Comment

• Originally posted by russ t : Sorry, I can't find the racks you are referring to. Perhaps becoming blind ( which is not good for RC). Please could you post a link or post #. Thanks.
                                  Airguardian replied: #1596 https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...273#post296273

Thanks Airguardian. I realize now that Firefox for Android was not showing me the pictures, even if I logged into HobbySquawk. With other browsers ok.
                                  Cheers, Russ.

Comment

• Hi All. I uploaded a STL file for Freewing JAS 39 Gripen main wheel covers on my Thingiverse page and is now available for download. Hope this helps your modding ventures .

Click image for larger version

Name:	530D59EB-56CA-4D52-A018-65DE16F95891.jpeg
Views:	670
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	296865

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoVector View Post

Thanks for the info and video, what is the all up mass with your setup? I have planned to shoehorn the FMS 90mm that will add 200 grams and an 8S 3300mah combo will weigh as an Admiral 6S/5000. So I'm hoping I will not be too heavy for high alpha stuff. Some weight will be gained after carving out foam and mounting a 3dp thrust tube. Any other things you have learned?

Looking forward to some flight footage if it is available later.
                                      added intake. 15% at end of flight. May be starvation!
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• All set for maiden tomorrow :D Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210130_133808.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	297011Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210130_133828.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	297012Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210130_133907.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	297013Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210130_134044.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	297014Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210130_133938.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	297015Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210130_134019.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	297016

Comment

Tested the Jetfan today. The plane still flew fine with CG 24mm aft from factory marks on the wings. The jet clearly had more power but I also noticed that closing the cheater with the net made the gain not as significant as it could be.

Damn, so what you are saying is that the Gripen is more hungry than the EF? That is certainly not what I would expect.

Comment

Working...
                                          X