Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing JAS 39 Gripen 80mm EDF Jet

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

This!

A little bit of me dies whenever I read someone talking about whether or not a model NEEDS a gyro.

Your car doesn't NEED power steering or cruise control either, but it is damn nice to have anyway. It is virtually never about need.
      Well said!

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        This is nothing new. I had hoped this wasn't the case for the Gripen but I guess I'll have to deal with it. My FMS F7F was so bad, I had to do an inverted pass just to get the nose gear door to close. I've changed retract motors and still the same. Now, I just don't bother and let the door/wheel hang done a bit during flight. The FMS 1700mm Corsair is the same. They need to make stronger retracts.
        I have to do that with the Mirage from time to time to get the nose gear door to close.

Even my F-18 seems to have caught this bug on the nose gear door. I even swapped the retract with a new one to no effect.

Fortunately, except for the Mirage, pulling vertical seems to do the trick.

Comment

• Just ordered the JF/ HET 700-60-1865 combo from Efflux. Can't wait to see how she performs on 8S. I fly at 5500' so looking forward to the extra thrust.

Comment

• Be careful with flight time with that EDF. Use 4Ah batts at the very least, the 3Ah ones bite me on the back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
              Be careful with flight time with that EDF. Use 4Ah batts at the very least, the 3Ah ones bite me on the back.
              Thanks for the heads up- I plan on using 4500s.

Comment

• You should be good then.

That said, if you have not installed the EDF yet, try to move it aft, or you will struggle to get decent CGs.

I moved mine as aft as I could without hacking foam open and despite the EDF and ESC being heavier, and me still having 130g of ballast in the tail it's really not enough.

I'm considering hacking the foam to install the EDF much further aft to really get rid of the useless ballast while still being able to use bigger batts.

Comment

I'm considering hacking the foam to install the EDF much further aft to really get rid of the useless ballast while still being able to use bigger batts.
                  YES, hack the foam!

My Gripen tail is getting there.

Comment

• Nice!
                    Could you ellaborate on your technique to shave the duct foam?

Comment

• I use a 9mm cutting blade knife because the blade bends easily. It's the one that you can break off small sections from, but I don't do that. I extend the knife all the way and by pushing it, it bends and it is very easy to shave the foam. It is like using the cheap version of a wood carving knife. Then I use a Dremel for some of the precission-work, but the sharp knife is approx 95%. I can take a picture next week, am away at work at the moment.

Oh, and I cut the tail in half for easy access, it was easy with the sharp knife and it will not show once glued back.

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoVector View Post

YES, hack the foam!

My Gripen tail is getting there.
                        make sure you add sleeve between tail section and main body. i used a CLEAN 80mm edf fan, you don't need the whole barrel, may be 1/2 or 3/4 to add strength and transition of two parts. don't use too much glue or will adds weight to tail.

Comment

• Nice!
                          I wouldn't have thought of that!
                          Thank you for the ideas Tango! :)

Comment

• Back down at Rabbit a little while ago with JLink125 and his JAS 39...what a sweet flying little jet 😎!

😁

Comment

• Originally posted by Justwingit View Post
                              Back down at Rabbit a little while ago with JLink125 and his JAS 39...what a sweet flying little jet 😎!

😁
                              Justin is a fantastic pilot 👊🏼

Comment

• Buttoned up the airbrakes this morning and I think this Gripen is done! With luck it'll be an early spring and the re-maiden can happen sooner than later. A short video:
                                Freewing Saab JAS-39 Gripen in fictional Canadian demo bird scheme. Modifications include functional LE flaps, airbrakes, cockpit and pilot.

Tom

Comment

• That cockpit and airbrakes look total badass Pogo, love it!

I remaidened my Gripen today with the Jetfan.
                                  Cut my flights short to 2-2:30min for the time being to avoid more nasty surprises but she's back in the air. Repairs went well. :)

It was turbulent though, and the plane flew like crap, but that's nothing new with this jet, lol.

Comment

• Lots of "re-maidening" going on. I know a "maiden" is considered to be a virgin. I guess "re-maiden" means she gets to be a virgin again!

Comment

• Finally got the turbine converted gripen going. 6 flights yesterday, 7 more today.

Nothing huge yet, just trying to get it dialed in (which is giving me more headaches than any other delta I have owned), but slowly getting there.

Flying high alpha with a 3-4 second throttle response is a whole new world of angst lol (hence why you don't see a whole lot of it)

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

That cockpit and airbrakes look total badass Pogo, love it!

I remaidened my Gripen today with the Jetfan.
                                        Cut my flights short to 2-2:30min for the time being to avoid more nasty surprises but she's back in the air. Repairs went well. :)

It was turbulent though, and the plane flew like crap, but that's nothing new with this jet, lol.
                                        Thanks AG! I'm glad yours is in action again
                                        Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                                          Lots of "re-maidening" going on. I know a "maiden" is considered to be a virgin. I guess "re-maiden" means she gets to be a virgin again!
                                          ...or just forgot about the first time!
                                          Tom

Comment

Working...
                                          X