X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
    Lots of "re-maidening" going on. I know a "maiden" is considered to be a virgin. I guess "re-maiden" means she gets to be a virgin again!
    "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin." - Oscar Levant quotes from BrainyQuote.com

Comment

• I maidened a friends new Arrows F-15 the weekend before last getting it dialed in. Saturday he flew it for his first flights. Later he was on RCG saying how well his maiden went, not even needing any trim... No mention that it had already flown and been trimmed.

Comment

• Ha! It's true love when you fly it for the first time every time!

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
          Lots of "re-maidening" going on. I know a "maiden" is considered to be a virgin. I guess "re-maiden" means she gets to be a virgin again!
          Well, if you have been doing repairs, changed CG, replaced the ESC, EDF, batteries and made a whole new set-up... Jet may no longer be a virgin but certainly feels like it!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-02 10.19.55.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	302225
            So like some others I added some additional intake vents along the top. slightly modified F 16 vents. Took it out today for testing. My observation is that top speed is virtually unchanged. That doesn't matter much to me because its pretty darn fast now anyway with my jetfan 1738kv setup. 3.45 flight time. Two things did change 1. the sound, ok so what.... 2. The throttle response, yes! No more delayed power build up, it just gives you what its got and goes. That makes the flight a little more predictable and easier to manage coming out of low speed maneuvers.
            This Jet has been an evolution of modifications for me and considering the look and what I have to fly today I am very happy with it. GLTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Well, if you have been doing repairs, changed CG, replaced the ESC, EDF, batteries and made a whole new set-up... Jet may no longer be a virgin but certainly feels like it!
              Yep....she's ready for her "re-maiden"!

Click image for larger version

Name:	old hooker.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	302281

Comment

• The entire TV unit of my Gripen has never flown. Surely having a rear end that's never previously been used counts as a maiden?

Comment

• Man, there is a joke hiding in that post!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    Man, there is a joke hiding in that post!!!
                    Really?😮

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary S. View Post
                      So like some others I added some additional intake vents along the top. slightly modified F 16 vents. Took it out today for testing. My observation is that top speed is virtually unchanged. That doesn't matter much to me because its pretty darn fast now anyway with my jetfan 1738kv setup. 3.45 flight time. Two things did change 1. the sound, ok so what.... 2. The throttle response, yes! No more delayed power build up, it just gives you what its got and goes. That makes the flight a little more predictable and easier to manage coming out of low speed maneuvers.
                      This Jet has been an evolution of modifications for me and considering the look and what I have to fly today I am very happy with it. GLTA
                      Two questions:
                      1. What is the weight of your 5Ah/8S batterypack?
                      2. I looked up the GLTA acronym online... What does the Gay & Lesbian Tennis Alliance has to do with all of this?

Cheers!
                      /Tobias

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary S. View Post
                        Two things did change 1. the sound, ok so what.... 2. The throttle response, yes! No more delayed power build up, it just gives you what its got and goes. That makes the flight a little more predictable and easier to manage coming out of low speed maneuvers.
                        Ok, now that's encouraging!
                        I would hate to add top-cheaters but at least it seems that they work, thanks for the feedback :)

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                        Man, there is a joke hiding in that post!!!
                        ROFL.
                        I saw that too...

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoVector View Post

Two questions:
                          2. I looked up the GLTA acronym online... What does the Gay & Lesbian Tennis Alliance has to do with all of this?

Cheers!
                          /Tobias
                          Answers:
                          1. My 2 x 4s HRB = 1000 grams a little carve out in the battery bay.
                          2. Gay & Lesbian Tennis Alliance, surely you jest..... its Gay & Lesbian Training Association... come on man!

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoVector View Post

Two questions:

Cheers!
                            /Tobias
                            He may have meant that, but more probably "Good Luck To All".
                            Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Ok, now that's encouraging!
                              I would hate to add top-cheaters but at least it seems that they work, thanks for the feedback :)

ROFL.
                              I saw that too...
                              Well yes I did not want to add the top cheaters either, and I already had some additional bottom cheater. But it was only missing throttle response and I wanted to know would it make the difference. I personally am glad I did but others may better enjoy the clean look.

Comment

• I will be publishing some of my 'smoke-Gripen' videos without slowmo... there goes one! :)

Notice how the jet wing-rocks badly on the last flight (11:35) because of turbulent weather, as opposed to perfectly stable, no-wing-rocking (regardless of AoA) in calm conditions.

Comment

• Had a fun and exciting flight with the Gripen last weekend. I would say this might be the lowest a Freewing Jet has gotten to the ground and survived after recovering from a very low altitude wingtip stall!! Well the closest one done with video to prove it. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/JleEGkTigT4

Comment

• Added Virtual Flaps Setting on TX ...

Hi guys, I am still adjusting to optimize, and added a virtual flap setting for landings only to my tx flap switch that adds down canards, see pic, offsets the nose up from the gear doors and makes for a lower nose and better landings. My virtual flap setting also adds in a few percent of up elevator to the elevons to add a touch of washout and more stability on landings. Before these changes I was having occasional scary wing stalls on landing. All good now however might be worth trying a virtual half flap setting for take offs to reduce the steep climb out angle. Happy and safe flying!! ... Michael

Attached Files

Comment

• That's not a 'flap' setting.
                                      Flap would be elevons pitch down, and compensating with the canards with up trim.

Not that I'm recommending that (although the fullscale jet does it), just pointing it out for the sake of being technically accurate ;)

As for pitch-down trim offset on the canards as you show on the pic, I'd use that for the entire flight, not just landing.
                                      Been discussed already in the forum. There go my 2 cents yet again! :)

Comment

• Hi Airgaurdian - thanks for your technical comment. I always enjoy your posts and flight vids, keep them coming! I call it virtual flaps since I use it for landing and it is on my otherwise unused (for Gripen) flaps switch on my TX. BTW, I think elevons up is the way to go to get some washout and stability at high AOA, which really helps, so that is why I did it this way with canards down, really works to offset the nose up from the gear doors while adding stability. I had some nasty wing stalls at high AOA on landing especially with any gusts or cross winds, so the washout was needed. With a stabilizer doing the elevon mixing it was very easy to just add in some up elevator to get the desired washout effect on landing. Anyway, just being practical and so I call it virtual flaps.

Comment

• BTW, I forgot to mention that I do have some down canard during flight, about 5 mm, I read about that in this forum, so thank you for that. the 5 mm canard down during normal flight I agree is very helpful too, and it increased speed a bit. My flap position in the pic I think is too much for normal flight since it would push the nose down in flight. As shown in the pic, it is just right to offset the nose up due to the gear doors during landing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X