Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing JAS 39 Gripen 80mm EDF Jet

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCMC the Gripen model is one that challenges one to think about flight dynamics a bit differently and inspires creativity in those that love it. Also Airguardian is a great resource for everyone.

Comment

• I will blush!

I agree with the assessment of pitch-down trim on canards helping stability so we are on the same page, I was just being picky! ;)

Comment

• There goes some more raw footage of the smokey Gripen, including that time I crashed due to abusing high alpha... :D

For the music video, watch this one instead (shared some time ago):

Comment

• Waiting for the lockdown to ease so I can maiden my Gripen. I have the cannards only set in pitch only. Is there any advantage to having the cannards set in roll has well or is it best to just have the cannards set in pitch only?

​​​​​

Comment

• There will be opinions... I like the quality of my roll better with some roll canards added.

Comment

• Had a successful re-maiden today of the Gripen on 8S (JF/HET 700-60-1865). Had to battle 18mph winds and some snow piles on the runway, but noticeable difference in performance, both in vertical and overall speed. This really should have been a stock 8S jet IMO. My field elevation is 5400' and it performed beautifully. Packs came down quite warm @ 3.77 after 3 minutes (RT 4500 45C 4S). I was happy with the CG about 5mm behind the marks with the packs back as far as I could get them. Now time for paint.

Comment

• Hi,

I'm balancing my Gripen and I have read in this thread that many of you have a CG that are 10-20 mm behind recommended CG. The instruction manual says the CG should be 122 mm from the wing root but when I measure the molded markings they are actually 90 mm? What CG are you guys counting from? Shall I use for example 90+10 mm or 122+10mm? It is quite big difference.

Thanks! /Daniel

Comment

• Forget about what the manual says, use the marks on the wings as reference ang go aft from there. The more aft the better.

It's super hard to move CG back on this jet, so chances that you end up being tail heavy are almost non-existent, lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                    Forget about what the manual says, use the marks on the wings as reference ang go aft from there. The more aft the better.

It's super hard to move CG back on this jet, so chances that you end up being tail heavy are almost non-existent, lol
                    Heavy nozzle to help with CG adjustment:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...348#post285348

The Gripen needs weight in the tail to achieve an acceptable CG position. This nozzle has accommodation for up to 60g of small lead weights, in addition to weighing over 60 grams itself. Print wide-side down, with supports. You will need to peel off the plastic outer of the stock nozzle, and trim back the foam to leave a stub 13mm long to which you glue the new nozzle. I suggest taping the join on the inside to ensure smooth airflow,

Comment

• Originally posted by Swedraptor View Post
                      Hi,

I'm balancing my Gripen and I have read in this thread that many of you have a CG that are 10-20 mm behind recommended CG. The instruction manual says the CG should be 122 mm from the wing root but when I measure the molded markings they are actually 90 mm? What CG are you guys counting from? Shall I use for example 90+10 mm or 122+10mm? It is quite big difference.

Thanks! /Daniel
                      That's probably because you are measuring from the wrong place. You are measuring from the front of the wing root where it attaches to the plane. The actual "wing root" they are talking about is where the molded part is on the fuselage. Just shoving a ruler up there while the plane is hanging, the mark on the wing is something like between 120 and 125mm from the fixed wing root. If I had the plane on the bench and I used a right angle triangle, it may very well be at the 130mm like it says on page 4 of the manual. Mine is balanced about 10mm behind the mark.
                      PS. I don't see anywhere in the manual about it saying "122mm". Where do you see that?

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        PS. I don't see anywhere in the manual about it saying "122mm". Where do you see that?
                        The silently revised manual...

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...335#post284335

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
                          Hehe! Priceless! Then I measured it pretty close (120 - 125mm). Just gotta know where to measure from.

Comment

• The mark under the wings is the same for all, thus why I insist to refer everything to that one.
                            Less chance of causing a misunderstanding.

Comment

• RudyD54 with another flight on his Gripen on a windy, gusty day.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for all the technical advice. I went nuts over this model, as its one of my top 3 favorite fighters. I ordered it, and everything else I could find for it!!!
                                So far I just got the Gripen in, I ordered Strobon V2's to upgrade all the lighting including adding the whit markers back by the tail cone, I ordered the F-22 Formation light kit to make these working as well, I found a company on aliexpress that had 6 thrust vectoring units left (already cleared customs will be here by the weekend), I ordered an RC Geek centerburner, and for my biggest change I just sent payment to Callie for 2 sets of graphics - one for splinter camo and the second which is going right on, the Aggressor graphics with Thor on the tail!
                                Cant wait to get this done... with some tricks you guys have come up with added in with my own. Looks like Ill be getting started next week.

one question for you all, what gyro/flight controller are you using with canards? I have a Jumper T18pro 5n1 so any receiver/controller combo is possible. I will prob use a Flysky IA-10B as Id like telemetry and 10 channels and Ive got a couple, unless you all recommend some better combo for stability.
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Very cool scheme. Welcome to the groups.

no recommendation on gyros, I don’t use them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                                    It's super hard to move CG back on this jet
                                    No idea what you are talking about 😇

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by BaltimoreBomber View Post
                                      Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for all the technical advice. I went nuts over this model, as its one of my top 3 favorite fighters. I ordered it, and everything else I could find for it!!!
                                      So far I just got the Gripen in, I ordered Strobon V2's to upgrade all the lighting including adding the whit markers back by the tail cone, I ordered the F-22 Formation light kit to make these working as well, I found a company on aliexpress that had 6 thrust vectoring units left (already cleared customs will be here by the weekend), I ordered an RC Geek centerburner, and for my biggest change I just sent payment to Callie for 2 sets of graphics - one for splinter camo and the second which is going right on, the Aggressor graphics with Thor on the tail!
                                      Cant wait to get this done... with some tricks you guys have come up with added in with my own. Looks like Ill be getting started next week.

one question for you all, what gyro/flight controller are you using with canards? I have a Jumper T18pro 5n1 so any receiver/controller combo is possible. I will prob use a Flysky IA-10B as Id like telemetry and 10 channels and Ive got a couple, unless you all recommend some better combo for stability.
                                      I'm using an AR8360T which, with an iX20 and some finagling of the programming, allows built-in stabilization on all surfaces and the TV nozzles, with independent trims .

Comment

• Gyros: I am using S8R (stabilized Rx) and GWS PG-03 but I wouldn't quite recommend these to you. PG-03 is not even manufactured anymore and S8R is mediochre to put it lightly.

Originally posted by janmb View Post
                                        rofl

Comment

• Originally posted by janmb View Post

As Ricky said to Lucy...."esplain yourself!"

Comment

Working...
                                          X