Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could also install the VT unit already and trim that instead. Plus it makes the jet much more interesting in post-stall! :)

Comment

• There goes my first Gripen video showing hands on Tx, giving an idea of how I go about performing some maneuvers, have fun!

The video also clearly shows gyro operation on the canards, making it clear the canards often point down even when I pitch up, which is exactly how I want them to operate.
      Except when they run out of authority and I pitch full-up, then the canards do indeed pitch full-up as they would normally.

Hope that makes it easier to understand for some.

Comment

• I finally got my Gripen out again this past weekend after installing thrust vectoring. I had been having a ton of issues with wing rock on my gripen since I got it and it seemed no matter what I did with the roll gain setting on the gyro, I couldn’t get it to calm down in anything above a 5-10 mph wind so I wasn’t really enjoying it or taking it out to the field much. Another pilot out at the field who was flying some larger turbines told me “It’s not your aileron gain, it’s your rudder. What you’re seeing is a Dutch roll. Up the gains for your rudder and you should see it stop.” Well guess what, I got the gain on my Spektrum receiver for the rudder up to 100 and it eliminated the rock almost entirely with no wagging at high speed even though it got really gusty later in the afternoon.

Some of you may already know this but I figured for anyone like myself who just couldn’t figure it out, it’d be good to post up.

I had a ton of fun wringing it out afterwards until my gear door got caught on some tall grass and ripped it halfway off on takeoff. Now THAT made for an interesting flight. I program SAFE on all my Spektrum receivers as a safety net just in case something goes wrong and I was really glad to have it at that point. All the drag from the gear door acting like an airbrake was pulling the plane into a yaw/roll and SAFE gave me enough time to figure out what was going on without having to worry about it taking a dirt nap.

Comment

• It makes sense, to combat dutch roll (wing rocking) through yaw and not just roll, as both motions are dynamically coupled on aircraft, although using very high gains on rudder can have other unintended, undesired side effects (flight feeling too stiff or unnatural, high speed oscillations, etc).

But if you already did it and it's working for you, then that's great!
          I may experiment a bit further with my yaw gain, knowing this worked for you ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by RudyD54 View Post
            I finally got my Gripen out again this past weekend after installing thrust vectoring. I had been having a ton of issues with wing rock on my gripen since I got it and it seemed no matter what I did with the roll gain setting on the gyro, I couldn’t get it to calm down in anything above a 5-10 mph wind so I wasn’t really enjoying it or taking it out to the field much. Another pilot out at the field who was flying some larger turbines told me “It’s not your aileron gain, it’s your rudder. What you’re seeing is a Dutch roll. Up the gains for your rudder and you should see it stop.” Well guess what, I got the gain on my Spektrum receiver for the rudder up to 100 and it eliminated the rock almost entirely with no wagging at high speed even though it got really gusty later in the afternoon.

Some of you may already know this but I figured for anyone like myself who just couldn’t figure it out, it’d be good to post up.

I had a ton of fun wringing it out afterwards until my gear door got caught on some tall grass and ripped it halfway off on takeoff. Now THAT made for an interesting flight. I program SAFE on all my Spektrum receivers as a safety net just in case something goes wrong and I was really glad to have it at that point. All the drag from the gear door acting like an airbrake was pulling the plane into a yaw/roll and SAFE gave me enough time to figure out what was going on without having to worry about it taking a dirt nap.
            Interesting that you had such a difficult time with the wing rock. Three of us have the Gripen at the field. Mine has the VT as does another and one has the stock Gripen, no VT but he has a HobbyEagle gyro in it with all the control surfaces hooked up to it. For some strange reason, after I installed the VT, there was no wing rock even without a gyro, where it has come before. I've always had the upgraded FMS Pro fan in it. The other one with the VT (no gyro) has a bit of wing rock and the stock one with the gyro has no wing rock.
            Mine and the one with the gyro has the canards only on ELE, while the other has elevons on the canards.

Comment

• I was trying to up mine until I remembered I don't fly with gyros.

I really don't see much rocking unless it's really windy and I very seldom even notice it. BTW I have have two Gripens flying, one with and one w/o TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                Interesting that you had such a difficult time with the wing rock.
                This has already been debated ad nauseam, thought the conclusions were already widely understood.
                The Gripen doesn't like TURBULENT air, so it's not a matter of wind vs no-wind, but rather a case of whether the field you operate at is prone to generate rotors and turbulence or has clean laminar flow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  I was trying to up mine until I remembered I don't fly with gyros.

I really don't see much rocking unless it's really windy and I very seldom even notice it. BTW I have have two Gripens flying, one with and one w/o TV.

I'm just glad it's now as fun to fly as everyone said it was. I was beginning to think I got a .

Comment

• You want "ad nauseam"? They are discussing alpha lock AGAIN on some other thread.

But I think you know that!

And yes by wind we mean turbulence caused by wind... Straight line wind without turbulence is almost invisible to the aircraft.

Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

This has already been debated ad nauseam, thought the conclusions were already widely understood.
                    The Gripen doesn't like TURBULENT air, so it's not a matter of wind vs no-wind, but rather a case of whether the field you operate at is prone to generate rotors and turbulence or has clean laminar flow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Agree completely. Anytime the wind was steady, which is rare at our field, it was steady. Gusty days, which happen more often than not, were a nightmare to fly it in.

Comment

• Unfortunately, I haven’t had the chance to fly this jet on anything but gusty winds, LOL. It flew better than I thought it would, although it definitely exhibited wing rock as expected. I’m looking forward to flying it again on a day with better conditions though just to see and feel the difference.

Comment

Awesome stuff T-CAT! :)

Flew my Gripen today, the first flight was short of savage.

The rest, we filmed some air to air scenes and had to batteries die on me. The first one I managed to land but the second one ended up as an off-field. No great damage but will have to replace the pitch nozzle arm, and the front gear tore off... so I will take the chance to install it in reverse to help CG go a bit more aft. :)
                          Keep us posted on the surgery for the nose gear! I think it's a great way to fix CG and add more scale looks.

Comment

• Will do!

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                            I’m looking forward to flying it again on a day with better conditions though just to see and feel the difference.
                            It's pretty massive you'll see.
                            This jet flies amazing on calm days!

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                            You want "ad nauseam"? They are discussing alpha lock AGAIN on some other thread.

But I think you know that!
                            I know, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by RudyD54 View Post

I'm just glad it's now as fun to fly as everyone said it was. I was beginning to think I got a .
                              I think each person has a different view of any given plane. My friend was just about to put his Gripen up for sale because he hated the wing rock and the overly reactive flight controls. Then he put a cheap gyro in it and suddenly, it has become one of his favorite jets. It's like night and day for him. For me, it's neither here nor there. It's a nice plane. I'm not overly fond of it yet it's enough fun to keep it hanging around.

Comment

• Some fun Gripen Rippin vid

Comment

Additional datum:

My Gripen would rock its wings in even a gentle breeze - our field is surrounded by trees that cause some turbulence.

AS3X partially cured it.

HobbyEagle A3 Pro cured it completely (normal mode). Now it's rock solid.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                                    Additional datum:

My Gripen would rock its wings in even a gentle breeze - our field is surrounded by trees that cause some turbulence.
                                    The exact same is true for mine, and got an A3 Pro to replace the S8R, but haven't installed it yet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary S. View Post
                                      Some fun Gripen Rippin vid
                                      Great flight!
                                      Is that the 90mm EDF conversion?

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Additional datum:

AS3X partially cured it.

HobbyEagle A3 Pro cured it completely (normal mode). Now it's rock solid.
                                        Hi guys, do you have any recommendations or photos for the location of the gyro?

Comment

• Here works for me Click image for larger version

Name:	16298095760587707944266368035829.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	322935

Comment

Working...
                                          X