First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Texas, sounds like a nice place to live. Here...😖
    Attached Files

Comment

• Yikes! Texas is nice about 2-3 months a year (I’m not originally from here). 21C now, but average 35-40 C everyday from April-September . Quite fond of Sweden. My family heritage is from there and some still live in Eksjö. I have been fortunate enough to visit them a few times.

Comment

• I was in Texas in the summer of 1980 when there were 42 straight days of 100F or higher. That's hot, but not like Arizona hot. They are at 144 days and counting this year!

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
          I was in Texas in the summer of 1980 when there were 42 straight days of 100F or higher. That's hot, but not like Arizona hot. They are at 144 days and counting this year!
          Yeah, 104° at my house today on the east side of town. Summer is not releasing it's grip on us yet. Either that, or whatever God's been cooking here isn't done yet.
          Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
            Yeah, 104° at my house today on the east side of town. Summer is not releasing it's grip on us yet. Either that, or whatever God's been cooking here isn't done yet.
            Piffle, only 104, was 117 at our field two weeks ago, and we’re in los angeles😰

Comment

• Originally posted by Quickstop View Post

Piffle, only 104, was 117 at our field two weeks ago, and we’re in los angeles😰
              Apollo?
              Pat

Comment

• Yes sir

Comment

• Comment

• You guys still have flying weather

Comment

• Here, I can fly all year round! ( :

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
                        Here, I can fly all year round! ( :
                        Count me in too 😎

Comment

• I fly year round, too. Except that in winter, I just fly different stuff. VTOLs and "skidders" and big tired planes.

Comment

• Any idea when the Jas is to arrive????

Comment

• Originally posted by Sapropbuster View Post
                              Any idea when the Jas is to arrive????
                              Who are you asking? Representatives of Motion RC has never posted anything specific on any new plane's arrival date. I've never seen any of them say, "the container is travelling to us at this moment and we will start sending them out on XX month and XX date". What you see on the product webpage is what we all get - "Late October". If you're asking the rest of us, noone knows. The first sign of something happening is when the first buyer gets his "shipping notice". An "idea"? OK, between now and Oct. 31 for N. America.

Comment

• I'll take the over/under on seeing the first shipping notice pop out on Oct 27th (+/- 1 day).

Comment

• Hi folks,
                                  coming back to the wiring and gyro question. I think best is to use the canards first only with elevator and not with aileron .
                                  The gyro is not connected to the canards. You do your elevon mixing in the gyro, but the canards connect directly to the receiver. The canards receive their signal over elevator mixing to Aux2 and Aux3 in the transmitter. Rudder, Aileron and Elevator go into the gyro, where the elevon mixing happens.
                                  In total you only need one 8 channel receiver and 1 gyro.
                                  In that way the canards are not bothered by the gyro.
                                  Folks, it is open for discussion. An advanced pilot probably wants the canards with Aileron, but not me.

Comment

• Originally posted by slumi View Post
                                    Hi folks,
                                    coming back to the wiring and gyro question. I think best is to use the canards first only with elevator and not with aileron .
                                    The gyro is not connected to the canards. You do your elevon mixing in the gyro, but the canards connect directly to the receiver. The canards receive their signal over elevator mixing to Aux2 and Aux3 in the transmitter. Rudder, Aileron and Elevator go into the gyro, where the elevon mixing happens.
                                    Folks, it is open for discussion. An advanced pilot probably wants the canards with Aileron, but not me.
                                    If you don't want the canards as "elevons" and just act in consort with ELE, then you can either "Y" them (might need one servo reverser) and do a single mix or have them separate into their own channels, then do 2 mixes so they act like ELE. The option with the "Y" would need 6 channels. The other option would need 7.
                                    If you only want the gyro on the elevons, then set TX to "normal" wing/tail. Set gyro for elevon. Since you're mixing for the canards, the gyro shouldn't affect them.

Comment

Hi folks,
                                      Sounds good.

Don't consider pitch only canards a downgrade or inferior solution though - in fact it is the very opposite. Using canards for roll as well is purely a marketing gimmick and far from ideal aerodynamically anyway.

As for gyro, having the operate canards too would clearly be ideal, but I'm sure your stabilized elevon, unstabilized canard setup will work just fine. Just make sure you never have any sort of mode where you remove pitch input to the elevons (since that would make your gyro fight the pitch changes you command through the canards)
                                      Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Yes of course in the transmitter “Normal wing” setup and only in the gyro “Elevon mixing”.
                                        This idea probably only works well , if you use the canards purely coupled with elevator. If you leave the canards neutral on aileron input , your plane will stay more stable. Probably not what an advanced pilot wants. For my flying skills it would be sufficient.
                                        The canards on elevator is important for take off .
                                        The gyro reacts on wind disturbance. The canards would stay neutral. It will feel like less gyro gain. But it should work. People are using this setup in our club.

Comment

If you leave the canards neutral on aileron input , your plane will stay more stable. Probably not what an advanced pilot wants. For my flying skills it would be sufficient.
                                          In fact, it should be exactly what any pilot wants.

Absolutely no canarded fighter I have ever seen uses canards actively to produce roll rate. And there are good reasons for that.

First and foremost, canards are there to improve airflow over the main wing, especially at higher levels of alpha. Significant canard roll deflections directly goes against that purpose.

Secondly, it is not hard at all to get more than enough roll authority from elevons (or tailerons in the case of non-delta canarded platforms such as the SU-27 family). Even at very slow, very high alpha flight, roll authority is never really a problem. What does at some point become a challenge is yaw authority, but that is a different discussion altogether.

In short, canards do their job far better if left alone to do just that and not a whole lot more.

Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

Working...
                                          X