• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Much as it pains me to write this, I agree with Jandro.😁
    roflmao
    Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
      I thought the Mirage2000 was fine (but I did upgrade it anyway).
      My tiger meet Mirage hovered out of the box. By far the best power to weight EDF I have seen or flown to date.

Comment

• I’m really surprised they didn’t go 90 and use the newer 1900 90 unit in this. Between this and the dual design of the F-18 (80/90) this seams as though maybe would of been a better fit for that type of setup.

Gravy

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
          I’m really surprised they didn’t go 90 and use the newer 1900 90 unit in this. Between this and the dual design of the F-18 (80/90) this seams as though maybe would of been a better fit for that type of setup.

Gravy
          Yep

Comment

• Been put off the Gripen by the post about it's alleged lack of power. I just want to fly it scale like I am not that interested in tearing up the sky but if it is underpowered I might give it a miss, which is a shame because I have always like this model. I am not going to buy a model then buy a different motor to put in it. I am sure Alpha knows more then most about what motor wlll suit this model and he has been right on all the other Freewing models I own. Just need someone to reassure me this Gripen is worth buying and not a white elephant
            ​​​

Comment

• Are to hell with it. I am going to put my trust in Alpha and once Motion RC Europe has it back in stock I put my order in 👍

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                Been put off the Gripen by the post about it's alleged lack of power. I just want to fly it scale like I am not that interested in tearing up the sky but if it is underpowered I might give it a miss, which is a shame because I have always like this model. I am not going to buy a model then buy a different motor to put in it. I am sure Alpha knows more then most about what motor wlll suit this model and he has been right on all the other Freewing models I own. Just need someone to reassure me this Gripen is worth buying and not a white elephant
                ​​​
                I think it's worth it. It was the #1 plane I wanted to see the make.

The earlier comments about these being underpowered, you could deduce that prior to buying the model. I bought the PNP because a.) I'm a terrible modeler who gets frustrated easily and b.) I wanted to try the new generation 1920kv motor. But buying the ARF and swapping in a new EDF Motion sometimes makes a bit of work because of the short shroud on their fan, plus they don't sell the 5mm adapter separately so you can re-use the stock fan without buying their motor. That's an annoyance, but if you like the plane buy it.

I'm guessing they didn't go 90mm because of the lack of air for the fan.

Comment

Been put off the Gripen by the post about it's alleged lack of power.
                  ​​​
                  I think you have to take those comments with a grain of salt. Those who think it needs more power doesn't necessarily mean it "lacks" power. They just want more based on their flying demands. I bought the ARF PLUS to put in the FMS unit. I have no idea whether the stock system lacks power or not. I just wanted the most out of the plane that I could justify spending. You need to watch the videos of the stock unit and decide for yourself rather than taking for gospel what a few others have said, not knowing what they demand from their products.

Comment

• I’ll be flying it stock. I will say though after getting it out an assembled I was shocked at the size for a 80mm.
                    m sure with the inlets and Chester hole there is plenty of inlet air available for a 90.

I’ll see how she flies first though on the 80 before I plan any type of changeout.

Gravy

Comment

• I have the Gripen in the box, waiting for TV-unit and my painting-skills to improve since it needs a Swedish livery. I have the Tigermeet M2000 and just love the option to power out of bad judgement at low altitude and I would really like the Gripen to be able to do the same and to accelerate in the vertical.
                      There seem to be a lot of knowledge and experience in this thread, so what do you suggest? Is it even possible? If 8S, any specific combos you think are good? Is 90mm an option or is the inlet or outlet area not large enough? Any ideas are welcome, except turbine, I'm not there yet

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        I think you have to take those comments with a grain of salt. Those who think it needs more power doesn't necessarily mean it "lacks" power. They just want more based on their flying demands. I bought the ARF PLUS to put in the FMS unit. I have no idea whether the stock system lacks power or not. I just wanted the most out of the plane that I could justify spending. You need to watch the videos of the stock unit and decide for yourself rather than taking for gospel what a few others have said, not knowing what they demand from their products.
                        It's OK with the stock unit, plenty fast but lacks vertical performance. I'd suggest it's not so much underpowered as overweight. With luck my FMS PRO units will arrive before the flying season comes to an end.

I had a bunch more flights today with the CG at 135mm and like it there.

The landings are just incredibly easy. I have mine set up with a lot of down canard after landing to look like the real ones' use of canards as air brakes.

Comment

• I’m at 137mm and it drags it’s tail slightly in turns and needs the slightest push inverted. I like it more each time I fly it.

Seems about 3000-3100W is the line for unlimited vertical.

Comment

• Yes I think you are right. I am reading in to the comments to much. I have watched the videos on You Tube and they seem OK. So once the European warehouse has it back in stock I will be ordering the Gripen

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoVector View Post
                              I have the Gripen in the box, waiting for TV-unit and my painting-skills to improve since it needs a Swedish livery. I have the Tigermeet M2000 and just love the option to power out of bad judgement at low altitude and I would really like the Gripen to be able to do the same and to accelerate in the vertical.
                              There seem to be a lot of knowledge and experience in this thread, so what do you suggest? Is it even possible? If 8S, any specific combos you think are good? Is 90mm an option or is the inlet or outlet area not large enough? Any ideas are welcome, except turbine, I'm not there yet
                              First, Evan D can comment more on what he's using in the 8s application. As far as going 90mm, even if you keep the inlet and outlet areas are kept the same, I think it would still net you some significant gains. However, that's not the issue. The biggest issue to trying to ream out 5mm of foam all around the fan unit. I've had to do a little bit of reaming when going from stock FW fans to the "pro" versions of the FMS fans. The fan shrouds can be a couple of mm bigger and trying to ream out (evenly) 2 mm of foam can be very challenging. Doing it when there's at least 5mm of foam involved may be a very clumsy endeavor.

Comment

• Capt. get it and try it and go from there...

Comment

Are to hell with it. I am going to put my trust in Alpha and once Motion RC Europe has it back in stock I put my order in 👍
                                  Go ahead and order it!! You will like it. I've got 11 flights on mine.. It is stock and I can't wait to fly mine some more. High alpha touch and goes are a blast with this thing. My CG is 10-15 mm behind the marked CG. It is the easiest jet to high alpha I've ever owned. First true delta wing though...

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    I think you have to take those comments with a grain of salt. Those who think it needs more power doesn't necessarily mean it "lacks" power. They just want more based on their flying demands.
                                    Technically you can objectively say the jet lacks power from a scale point of view.

Originally posted by kallend View Post
                                    I'd suggest it's not so much underpowered as overweight.
                                    My opinion is the opposite... weight is perfectly fine but needs more power to carry through!

I mean, the jet flies fine. Similar size and weight as the older Eurofighter but with an 80mm EDF instead of 90mm.
                                    I don't feel like 'weight' is hindering its flight performance or capabilities much, but having such a low T/W ratio does really impair the jet to an extent.

On the other hand, a jet like the high perf. F-18 is perfectly fine in terms of power but is too heavy, and can feel the extra weight negatively affecting the jet in some regards.

My 2 cents. :)

​​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                      Seems about 3000-3100W is the line for unlimited vertical.
                                      That’s what my 8s Wemotec setup delivers and it’s good for about 150-200m in the Gripen. A similar setup in the FW L-39 is good for about 300m vertical climbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoVector View Post
                                        I have the Gripen in the box, waiting for TV-unit and my painting-skills to improve since it needs a Swedish livery. I have the Tigermeet M2000 and just love the option to power out of bad judgement at low altitude and I would really like the Gripen to be able to do the same and to accelerate in the vertical.
                                        The revised 80mm Wemotec Fans fit into the airframe without the need to shave any foam. All you need to do is to reduce the outlet diameter of the nozzle by 2mm for best results (Wemotec recommendation). Look at my video further up in the thread. HET 700-60-1865KV motor, 8s 4500mAh Lipos.
                                        Another video with this setup has just been posted on YT, look for “mwt- Icarus the 2nd”. I don’t want to steal his video, hence no link....

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post

That’s what my 8s Wemotec setup delivers and it’s good for about 150-200m in the Gripen. A similar setup in the FW L-39 is good for about 300m vertical climbs.
                                          Is the 200m maximum height you're referencing for the Gripen taken from a full speed straight and level pass pulled into a fully vertical climb out?

My Mig-21 on 6S with the FMS 2100kv fan will do about 200m climbs before stalling, so for me that'd be a good reference point.

Comment

Working...
                                          X