X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
    It doesn't show them being "lit". I've used the kind that you pull a wire at the end of the cartridge and that triggers the ignition.
    I've done that for the large cartridges we use in skydiving, but the ones on his Gripen are much smaller than any I've seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

I've done that for the large cartridges we use in skydiving, but the ones on his Gripen are much smaller than any I've seen.
      The ones I've used were mounted on an RC plane. They were about 4" long, burned for about a minute. Purchased from hobby shop.

Comment

• One of his videos does show him lighting these off. I did use his link to find those that he uses. My smallest smoke cartridges are 3.50” long x 1.20” diameter and last about 2 minutes. Have Red, Orange and White but no idea where I got them. One version has a “fuse” the other you just light the flat end face, they do get hot ! Also have some reloadable rocket motors but the best are only a few seconds of burn. I use a HK solid state switch thru a 3 cell lipo to fire off in my Me 163 —- not very efficient or spectacular though.

Comment

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post
          Nice flights. The smoke looks especially good down low when you have a background. It looks like you don't get many sunny days in your region that are great for smoke. It would be cool to see it backlit with smoke on.
          Thanks!
          Actually, yes we do... but I don't enjoy flying at those times as much. It's usually much windier (and the topography of my field makes any wind very turbulent) and the smoke doesn't look that well in direct sunlight most of the times. Will do some test some day, but for the most part I've achieved better results with dusk flights ;)

Originally posted by kallend View Post

I asked previously but didn't see an answer. How are the smoke cartridges ignited?
          I replied to you in fb but I guess you missed it.

I use a blow-torch style lighter.
          It's not a regular cigarette lighter.

Comment

• Ordered my TV unit from RC-Castle on the 19th and it arrived today!
            Unit weight without the cf rods is 160 grams.
            Has anybody had the chance to fly it yet?

Comment

• Darn, I really thought Motion would have them by now... The insult is their web site STILL says by end of year 2020...

I know you'll have fun with the TVs!

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinMar View Post
                Ordered my TV unit from RC-Castle on the 19th and it arrived today!
                Unit weight without the cf rods is 160 grams.
                Has anybody had the chance to fly it yet?
                Looks like you will be the first! Give us a report.... Let us know what the old assembly weighs once you get it off the plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  Darn, I really thought Motion would have them by now... The insult is their web site STILL says by end of year 2020...

I know you'll have fun with the TVs!
                  Strange that it says that and James told you January, correct?

Comment

• Correct. I asked in the thread and James posted if I need to ask to PM him. That was before, when there wasn't a date. Then Motion posted on the Gripen page end of 2020 (they have never posted any dates on the page for the TV unit itself). Starting around the end of November I started PMing him asking for a firm date, after all a company should know when they have bought something from their supplier and it's on a boat. He never answered the PMs so I started asking again in the thread. I was told by others that he said early January on the pod cast and when I watched the podcast (I can't watch it live since I do things Fridays) I heard him, heard him say it again on the last pod cast too.

But their web site still says late 2020 and he has only said January on the pod cast. I see this as a fail, that they can't get all their marketing information saying the same thing. If it is January, when in January, if it's further pushed back say so or just remove late 2020 and make a post here, on their official thread, that they just don't know. We've been asking now for what, six months between this and the MiG? In this time I have decided not to do TVs on the MiG and I'm thinking about if I want them for the Gripen and if I should just order them from Raymond.

Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post

Strange that it says that and James told you January, correct?

Comment

• Freight from Hong Kong is very unpredictable right now. I doubt that even MRC has good information. In the greater scheme of importers MRC is a minor player.

Stuff I've ordered from RC-C recently has varied between 5 days and 5 weeks to arrive in Chicago.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                        Freight from Hong Kong is very unpredictable right now. I doubt that even MRC has good information. In the greater scheme of importers MRC is a minor player.

Stuff I've ordered from RC-C recently has varied between 5 days and 5 weeks to arrive in Chicago.
                        That's a shame. I ordered the VT nozzles for the MiG29 and this Gripen 7 days ago from RC Castle. I just got notification that it's landed in our west port of entry today. I should have it in a few days (a bit slower than usual due to holiday mail traffic and days off for everyone).
                        With my luck, these things will have a "mutation" that could render the fitment difficult.

Comment

• I should mention that I live in LA, on the west coast of the US.
                          I won't be able to fly the TV setup for at least a week because I am repainting my Gripen to match tail number 6002. Going for a scale look with a very non-scale nozzle :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65995.jpg Views:	3 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	291973

Comment

• Nice scheme!

Comment

• Flying up north in the arctic, a little dark, very nice plane :-)
                              Some hige alpha landings in the second half.

Flying in the arctic, 69 degree north 25 December 2020. 4 weeks to the sun is above the horizon.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinMar View Post
                                I should mention that I live in LA, on the west coast of the US.
                                I won't be able to fly the TV setup for at least a week because I am repainting my Gripen to match tail number 6002. Going for a scale look with a very non-scale nozzle :)

Click image for larger version Name:	image_65995.jpg Views:	3 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	291973
                                That looks like a great scheme! Let us know how it comes out and how it is visiblity wise, compared to the factory scheme. It's got to be easier to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by rms View Post
                                  Flying up north in the arctic, a little dark, very nice plane :-)
                                  Some hige alpha landings in the second half.

Flying in the arctic, 69 degree north 25 December 2020. 4 weeks to the sun is above the horizon.
                                  That plane is so much fun to land like that. You must have disconnected the landing light so you didn't get blinded flying in those light conditions... I guess I should upload my Gripen doing touch and goes in our pit area on a taxiway. I was the only one there at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by HaroldAnderson View Post

That plane is so much fun to land like that. You must have disconnected the landing light so you didn't get blinded flying in those light conditions... I guess I should upload my Gripen doing touch and goes in our pit area on a taxiway. I was the only one there at the time.
                                    Yes, had to take the landing light off, was not able to see the wings on the approach. Did some harrier landing 90degree on the runway today, Did also holding the nose up longer before the wheels lift of. I`m cosidering to put the light so it lights the underside of the plane backwards. Load up you film, its a very fun high alpha queen :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by rms View Post

Yes, had to take the landing light off, was not able to see the wings on the approach. Did some harrier landing 90degree on the runway today, Did also holding the nose up longer before the wheels lift of. I`m cosidering to put the light so it lights the underside of the plane backwards. Load up you film, its a very fun high alpha queen :-)
                                      I enjoyed your video, though it made me feel cold! Longer days are coming....
                                      Tom

Comment

• I've added pylons to the Gripen using 5mm paper-covered foam board, doubled up, shaped and then spackled. It's nice to work with and the paper finishes easily. Freewing hardware was used to hang the "stores" and although a bit of a pain to install makes swapping things around in different configurations simple and secure. The fuel tanks are from the L-39, my A-10 is sharing it's Mavericks and the Meteors are from the F-15 weapons set.
                                        One thing though- the outer pylons should be on top of the fairings (like the inner ones) but the LE flap horns were in the way. I wasn't planning far enough ahead, obviously...d'oh!
                                        Tom
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogo View Post
                                          I've added pylons to the Gripen using 5mm paper-covered foam board, doubled up, shaped and then spackled. It's nice to work with and the paper finishes easily. Freewing hardware was used to hang the "stores" and although a bit of a pain to install makes swapping things around in different configurations simple and secure. The fuel tanks are from the L-39, my A-10 is sharing it's Mavericks and the Meteors are from the F-15 weapons set.
                                          One thing though- the outer pylons should be on top of the fairings (like the inner ones) but the LE flap horns were in the way. I wasn't planning far enough ahead, obviously...d'oh!
                                          Tom
                                          Cool with weapon. Did you fly with the LE Flap?

Comment

Working...
                                          X