Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF Suggestions

Hey all,

So I am looking for an edf as my next plane. I'm an intermediate pilot with about 9 planes, but mostly warbirds. My biggest is the Flightline P-38. My only jet experience is with a Lippisch .15 from Motion. Love that thing. I'm ready to move into a bigger edf, probably no bigger than 80mm. I use paved streets, but they're a touch rough with cracks. No grass sorties. I run Spektrum equipment mostly.

My requirements are manly longer flight times (4+ minutes if at all possible), foamy, and a military jet. No sport jets.

So far, I'm looking at the E-flite F-16 70mm Thunderbirds as a front runner. I've also looked at the E-flite SU-30, but I'm concerned about the weight of it. I like the look of it, and could run higher mah packs, but again, that weight. Not sure I should do that to myself.

Can I get some suggestions?

Arycon,

You'll have no problem transitioning to EDF's. You may be disappointed with the comparable flight times that you're used to with prop jobs but that is replaced with the adrenaline rush you get from flying jets. Think 3-4 mins.

If you don't want to start off spending a ton of money, I'd recommend the Freewing BAE Hawk T-1. Solid flyer, Big batt bay. plenty fast. ~ $200

I actually prefer the 80mm's. Not too heavy. Fast. In this category I'd recommend the L-39, T-33, F-86, A 4 Most can handle a range of 4000-6000mah 6S. I even use a 8000mah batt in the L-39. Get 5 minutes easy. Have new FMS 80mm Rafale on Pre-order. It comes with all the bells and whistles you can think of in terms of lights, working canards, etc. Adding FMS Reflex gyro, Assan Steering gyro, Gooniac Fiery booty afterburner.

For 90's I'd recommend the F4 and F/A-18. Bigger and heavier than 80's but really not any faster.

Good luck and welcome to the Jet age !

Hawk
    Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
    Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
    I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

I've owned many of the Freewing EDFs in 80mm & 90mm. The only way to hit 4 min. consistently for how I fly is to shove a big mah pack in for the size of the plane, or up the voltage. I'm not light with the throttle though.

In 80mm, 5000's can get me 3:30 consistently. I'd need 6000's to get to 4:00. I hear a standout in flight time is the T-33 in 80mm.

In 90mm, 5000's are good for 3:00. I think I'd need an 8000 to get to 4:00.

A lot easier just to up the voltage and go 8S. My F-22 on 8S will do 4:00.

A 4000 in the 70mm E-Flite F-16 for me was good for ~3:30, but I had a higher amp draw fan. You might get there with the stock unit if you're judicious with your use of the throttle. It's more fun on lighter batteries though. I don't think that the SU-30 you could fit a big enough battery to get to 4:00.

Comment

Arycon,

I suggest something with a straight wing first, as deltas and highly swept wings can be confusing to "see" the orientation when at a distance if you're not used to them. T33 would be good. Also the Freewing Venom is a very good flier, not a rocket ship, and with your P38 experience would be easy for you to "see" in the air.

Comment

The North American F86 Sabre offered by Freewing in 80mm available as a standard PNP and High Performance version. This classic jet looks great and can be done in different schemes although the silver USAF scheme is cool. It glides great and lands easy. Many say, if you can't fly this gal, you need more training flight time. I love my dark blue Marines scheme I made up, but it did "gator" in the sun though...But, it breaks the laminar flow....Kind of like driving a speed boat with a slight ripple on the lake...The T33 or perhaps the A4 Skyhawk would be a good choices too...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E3838.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	295848

Comment

Wbat kind of flight time is there with the F-86? I confess, I would love a F-86. I fly it in DCS World. I believe the Freeqing can reasonably handle 5000mah packs but I dont remember flight times.

I dont have issues with orientation. My Lippisch is easily the toughest plane I have to see and it is swept wing. I fly safely, so it has never gotten away from me.

Good suggestions all around. 90mm is too big for me. I know it. Ive learned my lesson jumping too soon when I got back into the hobby. Ive only put off jets because of flight times. Being up for 3 minutes is just too short to me.

I will look at the T-33 and L-39, though, Im not fond of either asthetically. They look like amazing birds for sure, but not my cup of tea, but neither is being a speed demon. So far, the FW F-86, E-Flite F-16 and E-Flite F-4 seem to be good picks. I saw that the F-4 can handle upwards of 7000mah packs and that should certainly yield 4+ mins with conservative flying.

I will research the suggestions so far. Feel free to add more.

Comment

Originally posted by Arycon View Post
              Wbat kind of flight time is there with the F-86? I confess, I would love a F-86. I fly it in DCS World. I believe the Freeqing can reasonably handle 5000mah packs but I dont remember flight times.

I dont have issues with orientation. My Lippisch is easily the toughest plane I have to see and it is swept wing. I fly safely, so it has never gotten away from me.

Good suggestions all around. 90mm is too big for me. I know it. Ive learned my lesson jumping too soon when I got back into the hobby. Ive only put off jets because of flight times. Being up for 3 minutes is just too short to me.

I will look at the T-33 and L-39, though, Im not fond of either asthetically. They look like amazing birds for sure, but not my cup of tea, but neither is being a speed demon. So far, the FW F-86, E-Flite F-16 and E-Flite F-4 seem to be good picks. I saw that the F-4 can handle upwards of 7000mah packs and that should certainly yield 4+ mins with conservative flying.

I will research the suggestions so far. Feel free to add more.
              I have the EFlite F-4. It is a very nice plane, looks good in the air, but has a weakness where the main gear is mounted in the wing. Almost everyone reports cracks appearing on the upper surface of the wing at that location. Their F-18 seems to be a better airframe. Also HH is not 100% reliable at keeping spare parts in stock.

Another really nice model that flies well, looks good and has no bad habits is the ArrowsRC MiG 29. It is a twin 64mm, and is about the same size as a typical 80mm single.

Comment

Anyone have the T-33 Shooting Star? I didn't think much of it but looked at it after Kallend suggested it. Looking at the videos, I have to say it looks amazing in the air. Has the same old school vibe the F-86 does. Plus it screams! Flight times seem to be quite good with a 6000mah or so.

Sucks to hear about the F-4's wings. I am sure that would end up happening to me given the rougher state of the streets I fly off of. Same main reason Ive been shying away from the F-86. I read the gear can be a weak spot.

Comment

The FW T-33 is an excellent EDF. Plenty of performance and very straight forward flight characteristics with no bad habits that could get you into trouble. It also seems to be very durable. I really abuse mine and so far the only thing is to re-glue one of the main gear mounts.

Comment

Anyone have the T-33 Shooting Star? I didn't think much of it but looked at it after Kallend suggested it. Looking at the videos, I have to say it looks amazing in the air. Has the same old school vibe the F-86 does. Plus it screams! Flight times seem to be quite good with a 6000mah or so.

Sucks to hear about the F-4's wings. I am sure that would end up happening to me given the rougher state of the streets I fly off of. Same main reason Ive been shying away from the F-86. I read the gear can be a weak spot.
                    You mentioned that the gear on an F86 can be a weak spot. I concur. I tore mine out on my first landing, three years back. I glued them back in with epoxy. It seems that all the gear mounts in most planes are "sacrificial". They glue them in with what appears to be butyl rubber glue. Stronger than silicone, but not much more. Also cheap. Epoxy would be too expensive for production I guess. But, when the gear mounts are hard glued, they won't break out on a hard or bad landing. They'll probably rip the wing apart. In many cases, you can just glue the factory ones back in. Many planes have been reported to lose their gear mounts due to cheap factory gluing...It's a fact of these foam models....

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post

You mentioned that the gear on an F86 can be a weak spot. I concur. I tore mine out on my first landing, three years back. I glued them back in with epoxy. It seems that all the gear mounts in most planes are "sacrificial". They glue them in with what appears to be butyl rubber glue. Stronger than silicone, but not much more. Also cheap. Epoxy would be too expensive for production I guess. But, when the gear mounts are hard glued, they won't break out on a hard or bad landing. They'll probably rip the wing apart. In many cases, you can just glue the factory ones back in. Many planes have been reported to lose their gear mounts due to cheap factory gluing...It's a fact of these foam models....
                      Yeah, I know all too well. I have an E-Flite 1.2 F4U Corsair and the retracts tear out now and again. It is a compromise. My Corsair holds up on the rough streets. They arent super terrible but they arent smooth by any means. I fear the F-86 would simply fall prey to them. The Corsair only has issues if I drift on landing or takeoff and end up catching grass on the edges of the roads. The roads arent terribly wide, so it is challenging to stay inside the lines if it gets too windy.

I think Im pretty much settled now on the T-33. After watching videos of it, I really have a new respect for it. Beautiful in the air and a great flight envelope. Plus, easy 4+ minute flights with throttle management. The fact that it is a trainer is even better. I may be an intermediate pilot, but I respect that I have no experience with landing an edf, and let's face it, they make trainers for a reason. I respect that now from hard learned experience when I got back into flying 10 years ago.

Excited for the jet age. By the way, let me say thanks to a great community of pilots for indulging another "first edf" post. Your experience is appreciated. See you in the skies, boys.

Comment

That the real one was a trainer does not make the model a trainer but if you truly are a decent intermediate you should be okay. The F-86 is the scale warbird I recommend as a first EDF. Of course everyone's abilities are different.

Every model has it's weak point but it seems many have poorly glued retract mounts.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	T-33.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	296143
                          You'll love the T-33. The only slight quirk on that one is that she tends to be a floater. Took me a little while to learn how to land her. The trick is to get under the ground effect. Great flying plane and plenty fast. I originally got the German version because they were out of the USAF. The paint job , besides being ugly was not well done. Touch it and the paint would chip off . So I re-painted it in Navy livery ( Yes, the Navy had a few) and added decals I had laying around.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	T33.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.4 KB ID:	296142
                          Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                          Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                          I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

I think Im pretty much settled now on the T-33..
                            Another thing about the T33 is that with a bit of kitbashing you can turn it into a P80 if you prefer a fighter to a trainer!

Also it takes very well to having an upgraded fan unit installed once you get the hang of flying it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Arycon;n295872]Wbat kind of flight time is there with the F-86? I confess, I would love a F-86. I fly it in DCS World. I believe the Freeqing can reasonably handle 5000mah packs but I dont remember flight times.

I will look at the T-33 and L-39, though, Im not fond of either asthetically. They look like amazing birds for sure, but not my cup of tea, but neither is being a speed demon. So far, the FW F-86, E-Flite F-16 and E-Flite F-4 seem to be good picks. I saw that the F-4 can handle upwards of 7000mah packs and that should certainly yield 4+ mins with conservative flying. I will research the suggestions so far. Feel free to add more.[/QUOTE
                              ​​​​​​

You mentioned you would love to have an F-86, I say go for the F-86, I had one given to me that was crashed and broken in half, I was able to repair it and that was 3 years ago and it's still flying today with the same main retracts but I had to replace the front nose gear due to a crack in the plastic case from when the guy crashed it, I really didn't want to repair it but the guy gave it to me for free and it's still flying great with the stock ESC and fan that came with them 3 years ago, it does not look the best but is one of those that you pass around the radio and let everyone fly it, poor thing has seen many bad landings and is still in one piece and it still has the stock servos as well, only bad thing I can say would be the narrow gear, it wants to tip a little in a crosswind or a quick turn when taxiing, I fly with the drop tanks on, looks a lot better but gets less flight time, my timer is set for 3 minutes 45 seconds and it seems to be about perfect with the tanks on.

Comment

I found the F-86 a bit...sedate for my liking.

It's a good smooth flying jet with no bad habits. Mine had a circa ~2016 power plant in it but performance at that time was a bit lacking.

I'd go for the T-33 or L-39 in a more conventional jet and benefit from Freewing's coming up the learning curve with the newer models.

Comment

My lad's having all sorts of problems with his Freewing F-8 crusader and after he contacted the Motion RC chat line is no further along with his installation of both radio and nose gear.
                                  The chat person advised cutting out the aperture for the nose gear and when he did he was left with a gaping hole with no means of fitting the noseleg which doesn 't fit anyway. Secondly he required advice as to the servo connections to the receiver for this particular model.
                                  I was present during the chat session and had the distinct impression that the'advisor' was not really au fait with this model or any other like it
                                  Any help chaps ?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Ask away. Post pictures of needed. Where are you located?

Comment

Working...
                                    X