Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freewing T-33 demise

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing T-33 demise

Been flying the DH Venom and love it. Though another Mid Century jet would be cool so got the T-33 and even though it was very cheap, bought the admiral receiver with stabilization - 6S 5200 pack - Spektrum DX-9 - and so on. First few flights went fine no problems. Then the next one had a good scare., when beginning a sharp left turn it tucked under in roll and almost went in! Had no ailerons for a moment and then was able to roll right and pitch up. Had plenty of airspeed and did not appear to be a stall. Moved the CG more forward just in case. This tucking under happened several more times, always in a left turn and nearly going in each time before recovery. The final time I was unable to recover and it went in with no control response. I am what you may consider an expert pilot flying Scalemasters and Top Gun for many years and many types of aircraft. In the old 72mhz days it was like "getting hit" which was usually the explanation for a fatal crash. At this point the only suspect I can think of are these very inexpensive receivers. Im asking other folks that have a T-33 if they every experienced this aircraft behavior? I fly the Venom at the same field with the same transmitter but with a Spektrum receiver ( without A3SX) and it has always been rock solid. At this point I will never use a cheap admiral receiver and are reluctant to purchase another EDF. Any comments would be appreciated. The T-33 looked great in the air, not so good stuffed into the ground.

A couple of people at our club have had similar experiences with the recent Admiral stabilized receivers. Older ones seem OK, as do the Lemons from which they are derived. It's just the recent ones, and just the stabilized ones.

I wonder if they made a firmware change that's causing problems.

Comment

What Kallend said but it’s been for easily a year or more people have reported issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Agwagon View Post
        Been flying the DH Venom and love it. Though another Mid Century jet would be cool so got the T-33 and even though it was very cheap, bought the admiral receiver with stabilization - 6S 5200 pack - Spektrum DX-9 - and so on. First few flights went fine no problems. Then the next one had a good scare., when beginning a sharp left turn it tucked under in roll and almost went in! Had no ailerons for a moment and then was able to roll right and pitch up. Had plenty of airspeed and did not appear to be a stall. Moved the CG more forward just in case. This tucking under happened several more times, always in a left turn and nearly going in each time before recovery. The final time I was unable to recover and it went in with no control response. I am what you may consider an expert pilot flying Scalemasters and Top Gun for many years and many types of aircraft. In the old 72mhz days it was like "getting hit" which was usually the explanation for a fatal crash. At this point the only suspect I can think of are these very inexpensive receivers. Im asking other folks that have a T-33 if they every experienced this aircraft behavior? I fly the Venom at the same field with the same transmitter but with a Spektrum receiver ( without A3SX) and it has always been rock solid. At this point I will never use a cheap admiral receiver and are reluctant to purchase another EDF. Any comments would be appreciated. The T-33 looked great in the air, not so good stuffed into the ground.
        Hi

You should have quit flying with this receiver after having these issues the first time...sorry for yours loss but these receivers, already being discussed having problems.

grts Hans

ps this T33 flies great my best EDF so fare.

Comment

Lemon receivers have had issues lately. the last year. Their quality control is not what it was. It doesn't surprise me that admiral have the same problems.
          Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

quitcherbitchen What type of issues?

Comment

My local hobby store refused to sell me any more lemon receivers about July of last year when he said "lots of customers were having catastrophic failures". He suspected that they were all related to the new batch of Lemon receivers he got as most were recent. He told me the ones I had bought before were from a previous batch and were probably OK. I have lots of lemon receivers and use them in some pretty harsh environments like my RC dune buggy and sailboats as well as planes. I haven't had a problem, but trust what Ian my supplier told me.

Comment

quitcherbitchen Has it all been with just the Lemon with gyros?

Comment

I am wondering because I have quite a few lemon receivers in some of my planes. And admiral and spektrum. I haven't had any issues with the admiral's or lemonrx's. But I also don't want to. So I'm just trying to get input.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                    quitcherbitchen Has it all been with just the Lemon with gyros?
                    Honestly, not sure, but that is what I tried to buy

Comment

My original Lemon stabilized RXs were only 6-ch. If I wanted the 7th channel, the stabilizer didn't work. They also came with a satellite antenna port. With the sat, never a problem. Then they went to the 7-ch stabilized RXs where you could keep stabilization and have that 7th channel. These came with "diversity" antennas and without a sat port. These have been the most problematic for me. I won't use Lemons with the diversity antennas without a sat option, even the unstabilized ones. As much as they state that the diversity antennas are really good and a sat is not required, I tend to be skeptical. As far as the Admirals are concerned, I've tried to stay away from them.

Comment

xviper Thanks . That's kind of been my thinking as well. I think regardless of manufacturer I will use sat antennas.

Comment

If it's got a Sat port, why would you not use one. There's no such thing as having too much signal reception.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                            If it's got a Sat port, why would you not use one. There's no such thing as have too much signal reception.
                            Exactly! However, the newer stab RXs with diversity antennas don't have a sat port.

Comment

I had a similar temporary loss of control with a new DX-9 Transmitter and a new Admiral stabilized receiver in a FMS 1400mm T-28. I changed the antennas position and increased my range but the issue happened again. I moved the receiver to a test airplane and was able to duplicate the issue several times at different distances from the transmitter. I installed a Orange 7 channel receiver in the T-28 and it has been great.
                              I sent in the Admiral receiver to be inspected and that was a waste of time. Motion RC range checked it as being fine and returned it. I will only use it in test airplanes.
                              I do have another Admiral Stabilized receiver and it works fine in a different plane.

Comment

I love the Orange 7ch with the long coax antennae and satellite. I have 5 plus 25 of the 6ch, 2 of the 8ch, 9 of the 9ch, 1 of the 10ch and 5 of the 12ch currently in the planes I fly. Plus at least a dozen spares in various ch counts.

I really think the newer Orange are about as good as you can get, but they are getting harder to get.

Comment

Could the fact that MRC has now started to sell/recommend Futaba equipment be an indication of continued supplier issues for Spektrum format RXs? HH has had to move their RX manufacturing to different manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by Puregreen7 View Post
                                    I had a similar temporary loss of control with a new DX-9 Transmitter and a new Admiral stabilized receiver in a FMS 1400mm T-28. I changed the antennas position and increased my range but the issue happened again. I moved the receiver to a test airplane and was able to duplicate the issue several times at different distances from the transmitter. I installed a Orange 7 channel receiver in the T-28 and it has been great.
                                    I sent in the Admiral receiver to be inspected and that was a waste of time. Motion RC range checked it as being fine and returned it. I will only use it in test airplanes.
                                    I do have another Admiral Stabilized receiver and it works fine in a different plane.
                                    I had the same thing happen with the Admiral stabilized receiver an DX8 in two different planes, the 90mm F-22 and the 90mm F-18. Fortunately only temporary and regained control of both.

Had the same experience with MRC Customer service, they range checked it as being "fine" and returned it. I beg to differ. It's definitely not a full range receiver.

I switched over to Orange receivers (9 channel ones) primarily and have zero issues with those. Even the AR620, of which I have a few, hasn't caused any issues in my jets. After my Admiral experience I turned on receiver telemetry so always know if I'm getting significant frame losses or any hold and they're whisper quiet, so can virtually guarantee it's an issue with the Admiral.

I even have some bare bones Lemons with no plastic casings from several years back and they've never given me a hint of trouble.

Comment

The old "bare bone" Lemons were and still are reliable. The new models are the culprits.

Comment

I still have a few of the older Orange "clones" really good range and performance even on DSM2.

Comment

Working...
                                        X