X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First EDF military jet?

Ive been flying on and off for 20 years but never had use of a runway until now so im looking at getting a military EDF jet .Im thinking about the 90mm freewing F-22 or maybe the 90mm freewing F-15 . Both seem to have a good mix of slow and high speed capabilities and are the size that has a bit more presence in the air for my old eyes to focus on.Any thoughts??

Very different, the F-22 flies very light and easy, the F-15 doesn't. Another good first choice is the F-86.

Comment

Thanks Evan ,Im looking for one of the more modern jets so f-86 wont cut the mustard. TBH theres so many to choose from i could get myself in a lot of trouble with the wife when she notices the garage filling up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gripper39 View Post
        Thanks Evan ,Im looking for one of the more modern jets so f-86 wont cut the mustard. TBH theres so many to choose from i could get myself in a lot of trouble with the wife when she notices the garage filling up.
        One of the easiest and best flying edfs is the eflite 70mm F16 Thunderbird. That is probably the best all around 1st edf currently available. The only thing holding the Motion 70mm F16 back is the grey paint, which for a beginner can be a frustrating nightmare of visibility. Of course, with a little paint, you can fix that, but for an out of the box, it's hard to beat the eflite.
        ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

The only thing holding the Motion 70mm F16 back is the grey paint, which for a beginner can be a frustrating nightmare of visibility.
          ​​​​​

For me it's these tiny offensive looking elevators. Motion really dropped the ball on this one. F-16s need to have full flying stabs! Will it fly better? No. Does it matter in the air? No. But it just doesn't look right on an F-16 of not having full flying stabs.

Comment

Non the less the FW F-16 (and the FMS/ EFlite) flies awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker271 View Post

For me it's these tiny offensive looking elevators. Motion really dropped the ball on this one. F-16s need to have full flying stabs! Will it fly better? No. Does it matter in the air? No. But it just doesn't look right on an F-16 of not having full flying stabs.
              Funny I can't see that they aren't full flying stabs when its flying. Buy a plastic model to display instead and look at that. Even better make covers to go over the stabs to hide the hinge and write "Remove Before Flight" on them.

Comment

Agreed with the freewing f86, or f22.

Comment

what about the 80mm A-10. its a fantastic looking aircraft with bags of character and lowish wing loading. I get the impression it will be good for teaching EDF throttle control/management whilst still flying more like a low wing sports model. Am i right?

Comment

I’d get the FMS A-10 if you like A-10’s...

Comment

Went to the model shop today to get an A-10 and he sold the last one yesterday. As I like in Dubai my options are limited so I pulled the pin on a mig 29 twin 80mm. Wish me luck lol

Comment

Went to the model shop today to get an A-10 and he sold the last one yesterday. As I like in Dubai my options are limited so I pulled the pin on a mig 29 twin 80mm. Wish me luck lol
                        Not what I would reccomend as first edf. I strongly encourage.you to look deeply at the thread and the modifications required.

Comment

Good luck!

Read this thread before you maiden the Fulcrum:
                          Freewing MiG-29 Fulcrum Twin 80mm EDF Jet​ Freewing first established the Twin 80mm class of EDF jets with its popular F-14 Tomcat and then the A-10 Warthog, and now we are proud to announce the Freewing MiG-29 Fulcrum! Represented in 1/9 scale, this large aircraft is 1878mm (74”) long with a 1257mm (50”) wingspan,

Comment

i bought the freewing L-39 as a stepping stone to my mig and its an absolute scream to fly ,just a shame i only get 3.5-4 minutes but all good things have to stop somewhere.

Comment

i bought the freewing L-39 as a stepping stone to my mig and its an absolute scream to fly ,just a shame i only get 3.5-4 minutes but all good things have to stop somewhere.
                              Good decision….Ease into it

Don’t expect much more flight time from any EDF jet unless you want to fly around SLOWLY. Who wants to fly an EDF jet like that?

By the way, leaving more in the tank post flight will make your LiPos last much longer. Shoot for 3.7V to 3.8V post flight minimum per cell voltage.

-GG

Comment

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

Good decision….Ease into it

Don’t expect much more flight time from any EDF jet unless you want to fly around SLOWLY. Who wants to fly an EDF jet like that?

By the way, leaving more in the tank post flight will make your LiPos last much longer. Shoot for 3.7V to 3.8V post flight minimum per cell voltage.

-GG
                                its amazing how much more or less you'll have left after the same amount of time in the air. i set my timer to start 2m 30s at 25% throttle and only taxi out about 10 metres but taxi back alot further ,maybe 50 metres, and yet i have have my lipos read as low as 9% and as high as 62% depending on throttle usage. although as quoted earlier who really wants to fly EDFs at half throttle?
                                Enjoy your weekend flying ladies and gents!

Comment

I have read that the T-33 is a great first EDF. Supposedly the flying characteristics compare to the beloved Avanti S sport jet. Going get a T-33 myself.

John

Comment

The F-86 is even better. 2nd would be the L-39. The T-33 has caught more than a couple people at my field off guard with a nasty stall landing.

Comment

Working...
                                    X