Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing MiG-29 Review

Hello Fellow Pilots,

I recently received the latest version of the MiG-29, with the new 30g coreless elevator servos and wanted to share my impressions of it.

The Jet comes boxed very well, amazing how they fit all the parts in there. Speaking of parts, most of this model is in just a few large sections and assembles quickly. There is a nice place for the ribbon cable to be stored to the fuselage when the wings are detached. Nice touch. Construction is strait forward and simple. Instruction are clear and easy to follow. only issue to mention in the build, is the flap push rods. I had to go to the outer most hole in order to get them to reach. I also noticed the elevator servos, bypass the blue box and are now Y'ed together. One very positive note to mention is the ordinance. The missiles are of the best quality I have seen Freewing offer on any jet thus far! A funny thing to mention, but on the subject of building and testing. I noticed with this plane my servo tester could not lower and raise all three gear together. Only one or two would work at a time. All three worked perfectly together when powered off the receiver.
    Attached Files

Some personal touches to the elevators. I added some weights to balance them. This aids in smoother control. The servo is not under a load while they are level. So this creates a neutral balance. As you can see in the photos I made a small slit on the side where I could move the weight forward or backward to achieve balance. Then glued them in place with foamtac or silicone will work. I will also include some photos and measurements of my control rod setups. The 30g coreless servos are a bit of an overkill for the elevators in my opinion. They also seem more on the side of heavy duty use then finesse. They have a "ratchet" action to them. Not precisely smooth. I did install a Hobby Eagle A3 Super 3 and changed the servo frequency to around 165Hz. This helped smooth them out a bit.
    Attached Files

Comment

When working with the elevators, I noticed the aluminum control surface horn had an uneven surface around where the holes had been drilled out for the linkage ball to be bolted on. This kept it from fully seating flat on the surface. I removed this with a hobby knife. I just felt this would make for a stronger tight seat and also insured the bolt reached the nylon in the lock nut.
      Attached Files

Comment

One cosmetic issue that drove me a bit nuts on such a large beautiful model like this, was the canopy had a gap under it, where it meets the fuselage. This also keeps the magnets from connecting together in the middle. In the one photo, you will see small black dots. This is where I kept sanding the foam down until it seated nicely and the magnets would hold together.
        Attached Files

Comment

CG, I did notice this bird is a bit nose heavy. Even with X2 6s 5000mAh batteries in it, all the way back in both compartments. I hid a very small amount of weight in the foam nozzles. I cut out a small area, glued in the weights, then covered with painters caulk. I did paint it black after it all setup. Sorry no photo. CG is perfect.
          Attached Files

Comment

In closing. Here is a photo of it next to my 90mm F-4 Phantom. As you can see, it is a large model, twin 80mm. I found this jet no more difficult or intimidating to fly then the Phantom. Oddly, it's size mask it's speed. seems slower at times but it is not! It is a nice flying jet. But make sure you carry speed in turns, especially when turning final with flaps down. Also using rudder and keeping it more level in a turn, for a landing works good instead of a step bank angle. Fly it scale when landing, that simple. I highly recommend this plane. It is better suited to a larger flying area I will admit, but very enjoyable. As with any twin, only one drawback. 2 batteries = 1 flight! Hope some of these tips helps out if you already own one or are looking to get one. Now for a custom paint scheme.

Derek
            Attached Files

Comment

Good write up for a plane we have been flying for 15 months. Please read up about changing the wing camber, It really helps with the nose heavy feel.

Comment

Better late than never!

Comment

the paint work on the f4 is great...

Comment

Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post
                    the paint work on the f4 is great...
                    Exactly it's great, you can write us a bit more about the Phantom painting techniques. As for Mig, I would like to improve the battery mounting, afterburner lighting, beacon and change to mock-up flaps of the main landing gear because those from freewing do not suit me :)

Comment

have to agree the F4 looks fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by Tooeleflyboy View Post
                        CG, I did notice this bird is a bit nose heavy. Even with X2 6s 5000mAh batteries in it, all the way back in both compartments. I hid a very small amount of weight in the foam nozzles. I cut out a small area, glued in the weights, then covered with painters caulk. I did paint it black after it all setup. Sorry no photo. CG is perfect.
                        Here are some 3DP nozzles for the VT unit that add tailweight and look a lot better than the foam ones. There are two versions.

This is a nozzle to replace the stock foam one in the Freewing MiG29 with VT. The foam nozzle is just held on with tacky adhesive and can be removed without damage if you're careful. There are two versions, one with the inner petals extended beyond the outer ones, and one where they are not. Take your pick. Print with minimal infill if weight is a problem.

And here are some for the non-VT version

Comment

Originally posted by Tooeleflyboy View Post
                          Some personal touches to the elevators. I added some weights to balance them. This aids in smoother control. The servo is not under a load while they are level. So this creates a neutral balance. As you can see in the photos I made a small slit on the side where I could move the weight forward or backward to achieve balance. Then glued them in place with foamtac or silicone will work. I will also include some photos and measurements of my control rod setups. The 30g coreless servos are a bit of an overkill for the elevators in my opinion. They also seem more on the side of heavy duty use then finesse. They have a "ratchet" action to them. Not precisely smooth. I did install a Hobby Eagle A3 Super 3 and changed the servo frequency to around 165Hz. This helped smooth them out a bit.
                          How did you change the servo frequency to 165Hz?

Comment

Originally posted by Luqman Khan View Post

How did you change the servo frequency to 165Hz?
                            It's an option in the Hobbyeagle gyro.

Comment

Hi guys I'm pretty new to the hobby only been about a year I was wondering if I can get some help wiring up this meg 29 to a receiver and exactly what the extra BEC is for I kind of know what the BC does but if someone can send a picture of their receiver wired up to the big 29 that would be great

Comment

Originally posted by richard_petrosky@aol.com View Post
                                Hi guys I'm pretty new to the hobby only been about a year I was wondering if I can get some help wiring up this meg 29 to a receiver and exactly what the extra BEC is for I kind of know what the BC does but if someone can send a picture of their receiver wired up to the big 29 that would be great
                                Hi Richard,
                                Since you are somewhat green, it would be in your best interest to get a beginner EDF and fly it a lot BEFORE you attempt to fly the MiG. It is not a beginner’s plane. It is big, fast…will get away from you RAPIDLY.

I fear a pile of EPO foam is in your future otherwise. Sorry to be blunt, but please don’t ignore this suggestion. Being new to the hobby, you most likely won’t do well with this bird. Set it aside until your skill level is much greater.

Pretty sure some others will chime in with this same feedback.

If you doubt what I say, read all the 262 posts on the official MiG forum and become informed.

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...ead#post267078

You will love it, but only by waiting.

-GG

Comment

Originally posted by richard_petrosky@aol.com View Post
                                  What GliderGuy wrote is correct. The fact that you even had to ask these questions suggests that a simpler plane would be a far better choice at this time.

Comment

Get you an f86 to start with in edf.

Comment

Hi guys I do appreciate that very much I do understand I won't be able to put it in the air yet I have a few other ETFs I started with the boo being my first one and then I moved up to the A10 E flight With the help of see if I've kept them in one piece but I just want to get down the technical aspects of this hobby they can be a little bit overwhelming there's a lot of content on the Internet my understanding all those inside and outs She will sit here until them a lot further along in my skill set

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                        X