You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55" Avro Vulcan

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 55" Avro Vulcan

    I've always wanted a Vulcan bomber as it's one of the coolest aircraft to ever fly- there was one brief moment of hope when Freewing announced their "Vulcan" but that quickly became (bitter) disappointment when it turned out to be a 70mm sport jet. After looking around for a while I settled on this one : https://jetworks.online/product-category/vulcan/
    I bought the plans and inquired on our RC Canada site where to get 6mm Depron- turned out a flying friend I haven't talked to in a while had a CNC cut kit ready to go that he sold me as he wasn't planning to build his 'till next winter. Happy coincidence indeed! Cutting out the parts using paper templates would have been a huge and tedious task.
    The designer specified 70mm fans on 4S (from 6 years ago) but I chose 64mm 6S units from Arrows RC. These EDF's come installed in The Arrows Mig 29 and newer F-15 and people seem happy with the performance, sound and reliability so I ordered them from RC Castle, along with Hobbywing 40 Amp ESC's and a JP Hobbies BEC. I finished installing them yesterday and took her outside for a run up in the partially completed airframe and was happy with the numbers- 78 Amps, 1800 Watts and about 2700 grams thrust. I don't know what the final weight will be (currently it's 1720 grams with a 5000 6S battery installed) but there should be lots of power and an easy 5min. of flight time.
    Still lots to do so I don't know if this Vulcan will take to the air this year but if the wind keeps blowing when I'm able to go flying it may be sooner than later.... Pictured is the paint scheme I'll use.
    Tom
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Have often looked at Jetworks plans but not having a printer means I could not use those nice "extras" which makes the whole build a lot more complex.
    Nice work you are doing on the Vulcan Tom, lucky you to get hold of a pre cut kit !
    Not sure you will get a big following on these pages as the build is WORK, most only wanting to assemble a foamy kit.
    Be nice if complete kits could be offered as did "6mm R/C" a few years ago for their pusher prop designs.
    Have build a couple of wood Vulcans and they both flew well. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Vulcan that did not.

    If only Tony Nijhuis plans/short kits were not so expensive to ship from the UK, we would have three sizes of Vulcan to choose from !

    I have the plans for Cyril Carrs Avro 707 and plans/parts for the Veron FD-2, if I ever get the energy to start !

    Keep posting progress -- how about also posting in "Scratch built EDF" in RCG ?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by killickb View Post
      ...

      I have the plans for Cyril Carrs Avro 707 and plans/parts for the Veron FD-2, if I ever get the energy to start !

      Keep posting progress -- how about also posting in "Scratch built EDF" in RCG ?
      Here's my semi-scale Avro 707. I built it in 1972 from Aeromodeller (January 1957) plans, and it is still flying. Converted to electric about 6 years ago. Clocked it at 118mph, not bad for a 50 year old model.




      Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	348657Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	348658Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	348656

      Comment


      • #4
        One of my unicorns. I'm working on getting a space together where I can build something like this. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to your work progress.

        Comment


        • #5
          Good choice! I started work on their Victor, but it’s on halt till next winter. Here’s how my Cyril Carr Vulcan looked, two times 90mm/5s.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	718EE93E-3D1A-4F4E-8C08-EE94FE2A6850.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	348743Click image for larger version

Name:	559CF070-EEAC-423A-83C1-B6CAEEAE5FBE.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	348744

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kallend View Post

            Here's my semi-scale Avro 707. I built it in 1972 from Aeromodeller (January 1957) plans, and it is still flying. Converted to electric about 6 years ago. Clocked it at 118mph, not bad for a 50 year old model.




            Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	348657Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	348658Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	348656
            I like your 707 John- I find it interesting that Avro could test the Vulcan concept with a 1/3 scale (manned) model- can't think of too many aircraft that were developed that way.
            Tom

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by killickb View Post
              Have often looked at Jetworks plans but not having a printer means I could not use those nice "extras" which makes the whole build a lot more complex.
              Nice work you are doing on the Vulcan Tom, lucky you to get hold of a pre cut kit !
              Not sure you will get a big following on these pages as the build is WORK, most only wanting to assemble a foamy kit.
              Be nice if complete kits could be offered as did "6mm R/C" a few years ago for their pusher prop designs.
              Have build a couple of wood Vulcans and they both flew well. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Vulcan that did not.

              If only Tony Nijhuis plans/short kits were not so expensive to ship from the UK, we would have three sizes of Vulcan to choose from !

              I have the plans for Cyril Carrs Avro 707 and plans/parts for the Veron FD-2, if I ever get the energy to start !

              Keep posting progress -- how about also posting in "Scratch built EDF" in RCG ?
              I don't aspire to be a builder but I did want a Vulcan- I agree about the Nijhuis models, just too expensive and even more work (nice though). If the 48" had been a little bigger, might have...
              Happy news on the printed parts front- a friend of my friend Mike (who sold me the cut kit) has printed me the nosecone, intakes and canopy/hatch- I don't have a printer either so was just going with foam but using these parts will be easier..
              Tom

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
                Good choice! I started work on their Victor, but it’s on halt till next winter. Here’s how my Cyril Carr Vulcan looked, two times 90mm/5s.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	718EE93E-3D1A-4F4E-8C08-EE94FE2A6850.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	348743Click image for larger version

Name:	559CF070-EEAC-423A-83C1-B6CAEEAE5FBE.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	348744
                I did some reading on the Carr Vulcan and saw your posts from 2002 (!) Looked terrific- did you fly it? The Victor is also a good choice! Please keep posting as you progress (maybe I'll build one too).
                Tom

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pogo View Post

                  I did some reading on the Carr Vulcan and saw your posts from 2002 (!) Looked terrific- did you fly it? The Victor is also a good choice! Please keep posting as you progress (maybe I'll build one too).
                  Tom
                  Long time ago

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Beauty Frank- it sure flew well!
                    Tom

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                      One of my unicorns. I'm working on getting a space together where I can build something like this. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to your work progress.
                      Space is a constant struggle in this hobby, isn't it? Our 100+ year old house has what was once a small general store attached that's now the workshop (still crowded though).
                      Tom

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X