X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55" Avro Vulcan

I've always wanted a Vulcan bomber as it's one of the coolest aircraft to ever fly- there was one brief moment of hope when Freewing announced their "Vulcan" but that quickly became (bitter) disappointment when it turned out to be a 70mm sport jet. After looking around for a while I settled on this one : https://jetworks.online/product-category/vulcan/
    I bought the plans and inquired on our RC Canada site where to get 6mm Depron- turned out a flying friend I haven't talked to in a while had a CNC cut kit ready to go that he sold me as he wasn't planning to build his 'till next winter. Happy coincidence indeed! Cutting out the parts using paper templates would have been a huge and tedious task.
    The designer specified 70mm fans on 4S (from 6 years ago) but I chose 64mm 6S units from Arrows RC. These EDF's come installed in The Arrows Mig 29 and newer F-15 and people seem happy with the performance, sound and reliability so I ordered them from RC Castle, along with Hobbywing 40 Amp ESC's and a JP Hobbies BEC. I finished installing them yesterday and took her outside for a run up in the partially completed airframe and was happy with the numbers- 78 Amps, 1800 Watts and about 2700 grams thrust. I don't know what the final weight will be (currently it's 1720 grams with a 5000 6S battery installed) but there should be lots of power and an easy 5min. of flight time.
    Still lots to do so I don't know if this Vulcan will take to the air this year but if the wind keeps blowing when I'm able to go flying it may be sooner than later.... Pictured is the paint scheme I'll use.
    Tom
    Attached Files

Have often looked at Jetworks plans but not having a printer means I could not use those nice "extras" which makes the whole build a lot more complex.
    Nice work you are doing on the Vulcan Tom, lucky you to get hold of a pre cut kit !
    Not sure you will get a big following on these pages as the build is WORK, most only wanting to assemble a foamy kit.
    Be nice if complete kits could be offered as did "6mm R/C" a few years ago for their pusher prop designs.
    Have build a couple of wood Vulcans and they both flew well. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Vulcan that did not.

If only Tony Nijhuis plans/short kits were not so expensive to ship from the UK, we would have three sizes of Vulcan to choose from !

I have the plans for Cyril Carrs Avro 707 and plans/parts for the Veron FD-2, if I ever get the energy to start !

Keep posting progress -- how about also posting in "Scratch built EDF" in RCG ?

Comment

Originally posted by killickb View Post

I have the plans for Cyril Carrs Avro 707 and plans/parts for the Veron FD-2, if I ever get the energy to start !

Here's my semi-scale Avro 707. I built it in 1972 from Aeromodeller (January 1957) plans, and it is still flying. Converted to electric about 6 years ago. Clocked it at 118mph, not bad for a 50 year old model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	348657Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	348658Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	348656

Comment

One of my unicorns. I'm working on getting a space together where I can build something like this. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to your work progress.

Comment

Good choice! I started work on their Victor, but it’s on halt till next winter. Here’s how my Cyril Carr Vulcan looked, two times 90mm/5s.

Name:	718EE93E-3D1A-4F4E-8C08-EE94FE2A6850.jpeg
Views:	926
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	348743Click image for larger version

Name:	559CF070-EEAC-423A-83C1-B6CAEEAE5FBE.jpeg
Views:	835
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	348744

Comment

Originally posted by kallend View Post

Here's my semi-scale Avro 707. I built it in 1972 from Aeromodeller (January 1957) plans, and it is still flying. Converted to electric about 6 years ago. Clocked it at 118mph, not bad for a 50 year old model.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	348657Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	348658Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	348656
            I like your 707 John- I find it interesting that Avro could test the Vulcan concept with a 1/3 scale (manned) model- can't think of too many aircraft that were developed that way.
            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by killickb View Post
              Have often looked at Jetworks plans but not having a printer means I could not use those nice "extras" which makes the whole build a lot more complex.
              Nice work you are doing on the Vulcan Tom, lucky you to get hold of a pre cut kit !
              Not sure you will get a big following on these pages as the build is WORK, most only wanting to assemble a foamy kit.
              Be nice if complete kits could be offered as did "6mm R/C" a few years ago for their pusher prop designs.
              Have build a couple of wood Vulcans and they both flew well. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Vulcan that did not.

If only Tony Nijhuis plans/short kits were not so expensive to ship from the UK, we would have three sizes of Vulcan to choose from !

I don't aspire to be a builder but I did want a Vulcan- I agree about the Nijhuis models, just too expensive and even more work (nice though). If the 48" had been a little bigger, might have...
              Happy news on the printed parts front- a friend of my friend Mike (who sold me the cut kit) has printed me the nosecone, intakes and canopy/hatch- I don't have a printer either so was just going with foam but using these parts will be easier..
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
                Good choice! I started work on their Victor, but it’s on halt till next winter. Here’s how my Cyril Carr Vulcan looked, two times 90mm/5s.

Name:	718EE93E-3D1A-4F4E-8C08-EE94FE2A6850.jpeg
Views:	926
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	348743Click image for larger version

Name:	559CF070-EEAC-423A-83C1-B6CAEEAE5FBE.jpeg
Views:	835
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	348744
                I did some reading on the Carr Vulcan and saw your posts from 2002 (!) Looked terrific- did you fly it? The Victor is also a good choice! Please keep posting as you progress (maybe I'll build one too).
                Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo View Post

I did some reading on the Carr Vulcan and saw your posts from 2002 (!) Looked terrific- did you fly it? The Victor is also a good choice! Please keep posting as you progress (maybe I'll build one too).
                  Tom
                  Long time ago

Comment

Beauty Frank- it sure flew well!
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                      One of my unicorns. I'm working on getting a space together where I can build something like this. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to your work progress.
                      Space is a constant struggle in this hobby, isn't it? Our 100+ year old house has what was once a small general store attached that's now the workshop (still crowded though).
                      Tom

Comment

The model designer (Craig Clarkstone at Jetworks) also provides some stl. files and my friend Mike was kind enough (again!) to arrange to have his friend Ulf print them for me. I'm really impressed with the printed parts- both the design and fit as well as Ulf's printing skills.
                        The main retracts are in, as are the elevon servos and wiring. I added another spar (6mm) as the top hatch I arrived at is quite large. With that done the top wing skins were glued on and the printed intakes installed. That leading edge segment in the photo is 4mm grey foam from Staples (with the black paper removed).
                        I've decided to concentrate on doing only what's necessary to get the model in the air this year as I don't want to finish it cosmetically over the winter not knowing how it flies.
                        I only just realized the jet is almost as long as it is wide so thought I should see if it fits in the car! It does, but some fancy maneuvering is required to get past the wheel wells.
                        Tom
                        Attached Files

Comment

Progress has been made on the Vulcan of late- in the last few weeks I shaped and glassed the wing tips, vert. stab, rudder and elevons and also got the hinging completed. The electronics were finalized this weekend- 10 ch. Lemon RX with satellite, Assan steering gyro, JP Hobby BEC and a Hobbyeagle 3 axis gyro- radio setup is complete with everything working as it should (I think).
                          Did a final balance today and the flight battery location worked out pretty well as a preliminary cg check a while ago found the model very nose heavy (is why the radio gear isn't forward in those empty compartments). Makes sense I guess as the bomb load in the Vulcan (20,000 lbs.!) was around the CG but the four engines sit well aft.
                          Also weighed the model today and it's right on 2600 grams so not far off 1:1 for thrust as it tested earlier at 2500 with a fresh battery. Of course, finishing the airframe will add some weight but I don't think the model will mind.
                          So that's it- ready to maiden this weekend if weather permits- failing that I've got 4 days over the Labour Day weekend.
                          Incidentally, I picked up a 6" turntable (Lazy Susan) bearing the other week- the jet is pictured sitting on a box and block of foam on the bearing. SO much easier working on a model that can be rotated- should of done it years ago!
                          Tom
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice. Always loved this plane.

Comment

Perfect weather this morning for the maiden which unfortunately was very brief. The model went straight vertical on rotation and straight into the ground from maybe 50', all in something like 2 seconds. I stood there in shock and amazement at how quickly it all happened. The CG was per the plan, (whatever that's worth) and I didn't think the control throws were excessive, though apparently they were.
                              The electronics and battery are ok, so that's good. I suppose I could make and graft on a new front end sometime, but pretty bummed just now.
                              Tom
                              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry Pogo

Comment

aw, man, sorry... i hate when that happens - did the same thing to my FW F5 a few weeks ago and as much as i hated that bird, it still stung a little... R.I.P.

Comment

Dang.

Comment

Thanks guys! Not the end though- it will be repaired.
                                      Tom

Comment

Things are seldom as bad as they seem and after my friend Mike called and offered new printed parts, Depron, and the full-size plans I'd need for templates I began repairs. Thanks (again) Mike!
                                        I cut away the damage, trying to keep everything on the same plane, and assembled a new front fuselage, cutting templates from the plans and then cutting out the 20-odd pieces needed. The initial build was using a CNC cut kit (again provided by Mike, cut by his neighbor) and that was sure quicker! The nose gear and steer servo had miraculously survived so re-installation wasn't bad.
                                        Some doublers were added, the new front end shaped and it was then glued on- the printed intakes were a great help in aligning everything.
                                        I had to join a social media platform and the Jetworks group to get CG and throws from people flying this model- turns out I had erroneous CG information and it's now 1" forward- quite a difference and with reduced rates should hopefully result in successful flight.
                                        Tom​
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X