X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
    Thank you sir. It is one of my favorites and I love how it flies. I think you might live just North of me. I recently made a trip to visit the Johnson City RC flying field. Are you familiar with it?
    That's my local club...when were you there?

TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• It was the model aviation day event they held... I don't recall the day that was. I got to witness my first RC streamer cutting competition.

Comment

• I was there...
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• I had three of my children with me. Two girls and a boy. I was there earlier in the day and couldn't stay long. I spoke for a time with the club president. Quite a number of people showed up before I had to go.

Comment

• Cool pic of my Mig taken by Ben at the fly-in we had at St. George, UT back in October. That camo pattern is really effective!

Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Bradm5312 View Post
              MiG-21
              I finished my MiG-21 build. I modified my model with:

• Strobe lights on the vertical stabilizer, top and bottom of fuselage, and bottom of the wing tips
              • Landing lights
              • Electric brakes
              • Orientation stripes on bottom of wings and horizontal stabilizer
              • FOD screen over the louver on the cheater hole
              • Anti-spark connector
              • Current and voltage telemetry

I’ve linked a YouTube video showing some of these mods:

This video shows the modifications I did to my Freewing MiG-21. You can download the detailed, step-by-step build companion document from:http://www.yourrcco...

I created a detailed, step-by-step document showing what I did on my model. I organized the document in sections so it is easy to find a specific mod, such as the strobe lights on the vertical stabilizer. I hope this is helpful to those who haven’t built their MiG yet or who may want to do one of the mods I did on mine. You can view the document here:

And, clearly, my mods aren’t intended to be scale.

Overall, I thought the basic build process was relatively straightforward. I did run into several minor quality issues, which are described in the build companion document.

One area that I think isn’t so well done is the routing of the servo wires for the wings. Removing the plastic louver over the cheater hole seemed like a bad idea to me. The louver on my model was very firmly attached and I didn’t want to risk damaging the model taking it off. Instead, I removed the EDF access cover and EDF, both of which are installed with screws. This made installing the servo wire channel covers a bit challenging, but doable (described in the build companion document).

I hope Freewing will fix this issue by doing one of the following:

• Pre-installing the plastic channel covers in the fuselage sides before gluing them together
              • Leaving the plastic louver un-installed so the builder can glue it in after routing the wires
              • Mounting the plastic louver using screws instead of glue (see Air Jon’s post 4002 for a great mod tip)

Freewing could easily implement the first change by having the covers glued before gluing the fuselage halves together. This would enable the builder to route the wires by removing the EDF access cover and EDF without requiring removing the louver.

Unfortunately for me, because of weather, it will likely be a couple of months until I can maiden this plane. I’m hoping for a rare flyable day before spring so I can try it.

I would appreciate any feedback you may care to provide on the build companion document. I’ve received a lot of help from other hobbyists over the years and would like to give back to the RC community. In general, would you find documents like this helpful? Is there too much detail or not enough? What kind of topics would you like to see addressed? If you care to provide feedback to help me better serve the RC community, please PM me or send email to yourrccompanion@indy.rr.com.
              VERY nice build companion!
              You made several of the same mods I'm considering, so thanks for taking the time to put it together and sharing!

AND -

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

• Well,
                I ordered one of these to replace my LX MiG-29 I lost this summer.
                Hopefully I'll have it by next week so I can build and fly it for the week after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topdogzrc View Post
                  Well,
                  I ordered one of these to replace my LX MiG-29 I lost this summer.
                  Hopefully I'll have it by next week so I can build and fly it for the week after that.
                  Congrats! It is a sweet flying plane. You should really enjoy it.

Comment

• Hey guys. I fly mine off of a grass field and have to bail out at times due to our thick grass. I am fine with that and know its gonna happen at this field. But this jet is giving me fits when I bail out. I keeps full throttle for a couple of seconds after I kill the throttle which has caused me to run off our field several times. Motion is saying the ESC is going into Failsafe? Any suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scamp73 View Post
                      Hey guys. I fly mine off of a grass field and have to bail out at times due to our thick grass. I am fine with that and know its gonna happen at this field. But this jet is giving me fits when I bail out. I keeps full throttle for a couple of seconds after I kill the throttle which has caused me to run off our field several times. Motion is saying the ESC is going into Failsafe? Any suggestions?
                      Just got back to your PM :).

Comment

• We had Mig-21 and F-86-Orama at Apollo today :D. Some of the Northern California people came down. I believe some may be on HS or RCg forums. They said they know and fly with Gooniac. It was nice to meet you folks if you're on here. I was the one flying the Stinger 90. Come back down any time or it would be nice to visit you all up north too.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Just got back to your PM :).
                          Thank you for the PM

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                            We had Mig-21 and F-86-Orama at Apollo today :D. Some of the Northern California people came down. I believe some may be on HS or RCg forums. They said they know and fly with Gooniac. It was nice to meet you folks if you're on here. I was the one flying the Stinger 90. Come back down any time or it would be nice to visit you all up north too.
                            I really wish I could have been there!! This is the last time I will be left here at home... I will be there next time with F-15, F-104, Mig-21, F-5 and 70mm F-16 next time...
                            Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Yeah man, I was hoping you would be there. That's a bummer. We'll look forward to next year then!

Comment

• By the way... here is one of our flights from the narrow path we fly from here in our area....

I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                                  By the way... here is one of our flights from the narrow path we fly from here in our area....
                                  You guys are gutsy! A narrow path and trees on both sides. I though the narrow streets where we sometimes fly were tricky, this is another level, well done!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark.MotionRC View Post

You guys are gutsy! A narrow path and trees on both sides. I though the narrow streets where we sometimes fly were tricky, this is another level, well done!
                                    Thanks man! We fly the F-5 there as well... here is the 2 flying together...

Comment

• I'm wondering what the stock 1800kV motor amp draw should be on the bench.

Comment

• Mine pulls 93A on a fresh battery through a watt meter.

Comment

• Thanks. I'me using an Eflite multimeter. One I've been using for some time. Usually it reaches max amps within a few seconds. With the mig it just keeps on going up slowly. I was approaching 100A and it just kept going so I shut it down. Did the same test on my 70mm Yak right after and the meter brought up the amps quickly and then settled down. All normal. I'm wondering if my Mig ESC needs re-programming. Or??

Comment

Working...
                                          X