X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got mine on order! :D
    I always liked the look of that bird, over the F-104 StarFighter. It was simple yet had that very distinguished shape.

Although the 90mm F-104 looks pretty damn good, just don't have room in the garage for it. { Yet }

I wonder if Freewing will make a 90mm F-100 or F-105??

Comment

An F-100 would be way cool!
      Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Arcangel View Post
        Got mine on order! :D
        I always liked the look of that bird, over the F-104 StarFighter. It was simple yet had that very distinguished shape.

Although the 90mm F-104 looks pretty damn good, just don't have room in the garage for it. { Yet }

I wonder if Freewing will make a 90mm F-100 or F-105??
        Or a A-10.........................

MIke
        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
          For you hotrod gearheads looking for a home for your 80mm Jetfans, bare in mind we tested the MiG-21 to CG with 8s 5000 (Admiral 6s+2s)
          So just what do you mean by this? That it will take the greater weight for an 8S setup or that you actually flew it on 8S?

Pre-ordered one awhile ago. I couldn't help myself... I was going to order the F-104 first but the Mig kept calling my name... in my weakness I caved in.

Steve

Comment

I mean that I flew the MiG-21 on a Jetfan 8s setup with our Admiral 6s 5000mAh and Admiral 2s 5000mAh, connected in series with our EC5 2-to-1 series connector. The advantage of a larger size, and the way we designed the intake and battery bay, is that it can take a larger battery unlike for example the 80mm Intruder, whose battery bay is limited to 6s 4000 only. The MiG-21 is like the T-45 in terms of additional available battery space that still lies within the CG-able range. I flew the MiG-21 on a standard 6s 4000, 6s 5000, 6s 6000, 8s 4000, and 8s 5000. All can fit and CG within the MiG-21's battery bay. Of course, the stock PNP setup is designed for 6s only. All 8s tests were conducted with appropriate Jetfan 8s setups (fan, motor, ESC).
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I mean that I flew the MiG-21 on a Jetfan 8s setup with our Admiral 6s 5000mAh and Admiral 2s 5000mAh, connected in series with our EC5 2-to-1 series connector. The advantage of a larger size, and the way we designed the intake and battery bay, is that it can take a larger battery unlike for example the 80mm Intruder, whose battery bay is limited to 6s 4000 only. The MiG-21 is like the T-45 in terms of additional available battery space that still lies within the CG-able range. I flew the MiG-21 on a standard 6s 4000, 6s 5000, 6s 6000, 8s 4000, and 8s 5000. All can fit and CG within the MiG-21's battery bay. Of course, the stock PNP setup is designed for 6s only. All 8s tests were conducted with appropriate Jetfan 8s setups (fan, motor, ESC).
              Thanks. Thats what I thought. Just wanted to make sure. Did you notice much of a difference in how it flew on 8S?

Comment

You're quick, Pat!
                Well, I practically wore out the F5 key on my keyboard waiting for the pre-order to go live. I bet I was the first one to order. :p
                Pat

Comment

To the Motion RC team -

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion concerning the stock powerplant and electronics for the Mig-21, especially within the discussions over on RCG.
                  Seems there is some discrepancy between manuals and online posts, which doesn't help.

Could you guys clarify exactly what servos, retracts and motor and fan are going to be stock components of the Mig-21's now on preorder?
                  Not just asking this out of curiosity -
                  I already preordered and paid for one of the awesome-looking blue "high visibility" color schemes. :)

Fingers crossed that the stock components will provide the performance needed for the 40 degree flight profile as posted in the video on RCG!! :cool:

Thanks!

RR

Comment

Hi Chief58D, I just got in from another day of flying MiGs and F-104s and Bearcats. Fun day! Both the manual and the website state that the standard MiG-21 PNP uses a 3530-1800kv outrunner motor, 80mm 12B EDF, and a 100A ESC. This is the exact setup used in the flight video I posted showing the MiG-21 40 degree high alpha, so rest assured that's the performance you can expect from the PNP you pre-ordered (Thank you for your order!!). I recall I used a 6s 4000 for that specific flight, although most often I fly the 6s 5000. Either battery does not impact the model's ability to sustain the high alpha as seen in my video:

Showcasing the ample thrust and stability of Freewing's upcoming MiG-21 80mm EDF Jet. The MiG-21 sports an all new power system and larger ESC. The results s...

The stock PNP, with the stock setup above, also features eight 9g Digital MG servos. These are new, stronger servos, as I had mentioned on RCGroups yesterday. Our website Specs needs to be updated by our web team on Monday to clarify this since currently I see that it lists the older servos (metal gear and analog, but not clearly Digital Metal Gear as they are now in the MiG-21). We apologize for any confusion.

Comment

The Product Specifications section at the bottom of the Overview page needs to have the Power System updated as well. It still says 3553 - 1720 kV for the motor.

Comment

Hi Chief58D, I just got in from another day of flying MiGs and F-104s and Bearcats. Fun day! Both the manual and the website state that the standard MiG-21 PNP uses a 3530-1800kv outrunner motor, 80mm 12B EDF, and a 100A ESC. This is the exact setup used in the flight video I posted showing the MiG-21 40 degree high alpha, so rest assured that's the performance you can expect from the PNP you pre-ordered (Thank you for your order!!). I recall I used a 6s 4000 for that specific flight, although most often I fly the 6s 5000. Either battery does not impact the model's ability to sustain the high alpha as seen in my video:

Showcasing the ample thrust and stability of Freewing's upcoming MiG-21 80mm EDF Jet. The MiG-21 sports an all new power system and larger ESC. The results s...

The stock PNP, with the stock setup above, also features eight 9g Digital MG servos. These are new, stronger servos, as I had mentioned on RCGroups yesterday. Our website Specs needs to be updated by our web team on Monday to clarify this since currently I see that it lists the older servos (metal gear and analog, but not clearly Digital Metal Gear as they are now in the MiG-21). We apologize for any confusion.
                        Awesome -
                        Thank-you Alpha!

BTW -
                        Was the high alpha flight using gyro assist, and if so, what mode / gain settings are needed?
                        (I'm definitely a late arrival to the use of gyros in airplanes, so much to learn!!)

Comment

I pulled the trigger and ordered the Blue MIG. I can't wait to get it!

Comment

Chief58D, the flight in the video was flown bone stock, without a gyro. I have flown the MiGs with a Freewing E51 gyro and a Hobby Eagle A3-L gyro, and I'll say that the gyro certainly does make sustaining the high alpha more easy. But, a gyro is absolutely not necessary to enjoy the MiG-21 including executing maneuvers like high alpha. Without a gyro it just takes faster, smaller reactions on the control sticks to keep the alpha steep and controllable. Anyone who has flown the older Freewing Eurofighter in high alpha back before gyros will be familiar with the feeling. I cut power on the MiG to slow the aircraft, feed in elevator until I'm holding full up and the nose is at a nice steep angle, then I feed in throttle as needed, pulsing the throttle and watching the aircraft and feeding in appropriate input to preempt any slipping.

As for gyro gain settings, on any aircraft, this is based on pilot's individual preference. Personally, I prefer very low gain settings. Just enough to smooth out certain aspects of certain maneuvers, but low enough where I still feel positively "connected" to the aircraft itself. Too high of a gain setting takes the fun out for me, and especially on a fast moving jet can become dangerous if oscillations develop when a gyro is overloaded and begins to overcorrect its own self. As for any gyro, we recommend starting with a low gain setting and gradually increasing it until each pilot finds his/her "sweet spot" for that given aircraft.

Time for more flight tests for the next 8.5 hours, I'm late.

Comment

Chief58D, the flight in the video was flown bone stock, without a gyro. I have flown the MiGs with a Freewing E51 gyro and a Hobby Eagle A3-L gyro, and I'll say that the gyro certainly does make sustaining the high alpha more easy. But, a gyro is absolutely not necessary to enjoy the MiG-21 including executing maneuvers like high alpha. Without a gyro it just takes faster, smaller reactions on the control sticks to keep the alpha steep and controllable. Anyone who has flown the older Freewing Eurofighter in high alpha back before gyros will be familiar with the feeling. I cut power on the MiG to slow the aircraft, feed in elevator until I'm holding full up and the nose is at a nice steep angle, then I feed in throttle as needed, pulsing the throttle and watching the aircraft and feeding in appropriate input to preempt any slipping.

As for gyro gain settings, on any aircraft, this is based on pilot's individual preference. Personally, I prefer very low gain settings. Just enough to smooth out certain aspects of certain maneuvers, but low enough where I still feel positively "connected" to the aircraft itself. Too high of a gain setting takes the fun out for me, and especially on a fast moving jet can become dangerous if oscillations develop when a gyro is overloaded and begins to overcorrect its own self. As for any gyro, we recommend starting with a low gain setting and gradually increasing it until each pilot finds his/her "sweet spot" for that given aircraft.

Time for more flight tests for the next 8.5 hours, I'm late.
                              Appreciate the info, Alpha!
                              And looking forward to results of the test flights!

Comment

Since you asked for "results", here's a quick video. Steadyhands Evelyn captured one of my flights this afternoon (Thanks!!), hotdogging and showing off a new trick I just figured out yesterday. I call it the "Belly Rub", seen around 1:40 in the video below. It seems simple enough, but believe me, it isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ms...ature=youtu.be

The lack of clouds as a reference point obscures just how slow and steeply this bird can fly. The aircraft's top speed is satisfying without being blistering, but it is its stable mannerisms in slow flight that impress me most about this MiG-21 the more I fly it. Not many scale aircraft can pull nearly vertical, roll inverted while cutting power, then at the apex of the climb, push the nose over and down without any hint of a snap. Well, for foamies it's not unheard of. The Freewing F-5 can do it to an extent, as can the Freewing Mirage. But with the MiG-21, it isn't expected, so seeing the stability is all the more impressive. The maneuver I certainly cannot execute in almost any other scale foam jet in this size range is the very steep high alpha. The new power system, and the aircraft's design itself, are to credit here. The new motor doesn't seem like a massive difference, but the videos I think speak for themselves. Most other foam jets at Motion RC can't begin to imagine staying in a 40 degree high alpha. Suddenly snapping into one as I do at different times in this video is especially fun.

Now, the high alpha maneuver in and of itself is fun to do, but the real benefit that type of inherent stability and thrust gives you is in the landing pattern. Slow, controlled landings with extra thrust to keep in reserve as "bailout power" if you ever need it.

Keep in mind, I'm not using a gyro in this video. Enabling a gyro just makes everything even that more smoother.

Comment

Since you asked for "results", here's a quick video. Steadyhands Evelyn captured one of my flights this afternoon (Thanks!!), hotdogging and showing off a new trick I just figured out yesterday. I call it the "Belly Rub", seen around 1:40 in the video below. It seems simple enough, but believe me, it isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ms...ature=youtu.be

The lack of clouds as a reference point obscures just how slow and steeply this bird can fly. The aircraft's top speed is satisfying without being blistering, but it is its stable mannerisms in slow flight that impress me most about this MiG-21 the more I fly it. Not many scale aircraft can pull nearly vertical, roll inverted while cutting power, then at the apex of the climb, push the nose over and down without any hint of a snap. Well, for foamies it's not unheard of. The Freewing F-5 can do it to an extent, as can the Freewing Mirage. But with the MiG-21, it isn't expected, so seeing the stability is all the more impressive. The maneuver I certainly cannot execute in almost any other scale foam jet in this size range is the very steep high alpha. The new power system, and the aircraft's design itself, are to credit here. The new motor doesn't seem like a massive difference, but the videos I think speak for themselves. Most other foam jets at Motion RC can't begin to imagine staying in a 40 degree high alpha. Suddenly snapping into one as I do at different times in this video is especially fun.

Now, the high alpha maneuver in and of itself is fun to do, but the real benefit that type of inherent stability and thrust gives you is in the landing pattern. Slow, controlled landings with extra thrust to keep in reserve as "bailout power" if you ever need it.

Keep in mind, I'm not using a gyro in this video. Enabling a gyro just makes everything even that more smoother.
                                  Clearly one of the best videos I have seen of this bird in action. It truly looks like it lives up to everything we are hearing about it. I love the commentary as well, both written and verbal as it really helps me understand what is going on during the flight. Can't wait to get mine in September. Hats off as well to Evelyn for her camera work.

Steve

Comment

Nice "low" pass.... Hehehe! That thing sure looks like a winner.... I really want to get in to more EDFs than the two I have.
                                    Lauren

Comment

Here's two photos of RC Pilot Evelyn with the new Freewing 80mm Mig-21 (Blue Scheme). Great job filming Alpha's flight Eve! :)

Comment

What's the upgraded motor and EDF combo that's the ticket for this plane if staying on 6S? Is it a Jetfan with a HET or Neu motor the default choice?

Or, do you have to go 8S to get significantly improved thrust numbers over the 1800 - 1820kv 12-bladed Freewing offerings at reasonable amperage?

I'm new to EDF offerings outside of Freewing 1820kv inrunners.

Comment

Have you taken off and landed on grass? Since you opted for the bigger landing gear I'm hoping this Mig, like the prototype, can handle an unimproved runway;-)

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                          X