Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome stuff everyone!!! The MIG is a keeper for sure!!! Happy Thanksgiving all!!! Jerry

Comment

• summer time is over but Mig is still in flying condition:)

mig., freewing, warbird, motion rc, europe, mig21, hrz

Comment

• Some weapons upgrade :)

Comment

• Hi fellow Mig-21 pilots, here's the mid-life upgrade for my Freewing Mig-21

- new FMS 80mm EDF Pro unit with 2100kv inrunner
          - new paintscheme

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• Originally posted by Icarus the 2nd View Post
            Hi fellow Mig-21 pilots, here's the mid-life upgrade for my Freewing Mig-21

- new FMS 80mm EDF Pro unit with 2100kv inrunner
            - new paintscheme

Love seeing that big bird fly at RIAT in the videos...

I too am thinking of upgrading mine to a new 2100kv set up. I have been impressed with them! My F-4 is screaming now!! It may be worth upgrading all of my FMS powered planes....
            Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I finally maidened mine yesterday because the weather was decent here in Michigan. What a wild ride it was!! I felt like i was riding a bull! Lots of porpoising. I was using factory rates. Will try again with rates cut in half. Also, my battery was too far forward. I always err on the side of caution but that was WAY too nose heavy. Got the MIG down without too much damage. One main landing gear got ripped out cleanly, flap got detached, the nose suffered the most. All is fixed now. Normally I do decent with maidens but this was a different kind of beast. At least the way I had it setup. The Avios MIG17 was a peach and so was the HK Sea Vixen. Can’t wait to give this thing another shot!

Comment

• Kahmed I'm glad to hear you got her down in one piece [mostly]!

The MiG-21 flies like a delta, so I prefer slightly aft CG. I think you'll notice a significant improvement in handling when it's not nose heavy. Have your rates on a three position, if desired. For this bird, I would recommend expo in 10-30 range, but not 40-50. For most pilots I've seen, the higher expo range doesn't play nice with this bird and the Mirage. I'd rather reduce rates than reduce responsiveness.

Keep your speed up in turns, but don't worry about backing off throttle in a straight line. I fly both the MiG-21 and Mirage close and tight. If you can sustain a high alpha pass at ~30 degrees nose up with mild headwind, your CG and throws are good in my book.
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Alpha
                  Thanks for your input man. I should have done more research before the maiden. Excellent tip on the expo vs rate. Makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kahmed View Post
                    I finally maidened mine yesterday because the weather was decent here in Michigan. What a wild ride it was!! I felt like i was riding a bull! Lots of porpoising. I was using factory rates. Will try again with rates cut in half. Also, my battery was too far forward. I always err on the side of caution but that was WAY too nose heavy. Got the MIG down without too much damage. One main landing gear got ripped out cleanly, flap got detached, the nose suffered the most. All is fixed now. Normally I do decent with maidens but this was a different kind of beast. At least the way I had it setup. The Avios MIG17 was a peach and so was the HK Sea Vixen. Can’t wait to give this thing another shot!
                    The Mig-21 has become one of my faves over the years! I have had no less than 4 different power set ups in it and it flew great with all of them! What I have noticed is that the planes stock throws are much too high!! I did end up swapping out the aileron servos once one quit on me in flight (thankfully it wasn't deflected in any direction!) and with stock I had reduced throw to about 50% of what they had recommended. With the new servos its down to 45% throw in the radio. I also use a aileron to rudder mix which helped way more than I though it would! the plane rolls better than before and when you bank for a turn is just feels much better than before. I am one that tends to use lots of expo and that has worked great for me with this bird. It just depends on your flying style. I am the type to use 90% or higher on rudder...
                    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• gooniac33

Thanks for that useful info. So far everything is stock. Power, servos, etc. Will see how things go after my second attempt. One thing is for sure though. It will look amazing with your afterburner on it!

Comment

gooniac33

Thanks for that useful info. So far everything is stock. Power, servos, etc. Will see how things go after my second attempt. One thing is for sure though. It will look amazing with your afterburner on it!
                        Yes you are right!! I have a new array since the last photos I took of mine... it will look even better with the ones I have now! please be sure to take lots of pix once you get it installed!

Comment

• Also getting my MiG-21 with the Inrunner together now. Hope to get it in the air soon....

Comment

• So I tried out the MiG 21 again. Battery moved back and throws down 50%. This time it just didn’t want to rotate. It was still porpoising like before but just felt tail heavy. Took off all three retracts by hitting a curb but finally got in the air. Once in the air it was nothing but a disaster waiting to happen. The elevator was barely usable. The airplane just wanted to nosedive. And that is exactly what it did. Resulting in the most spectacular crash that I’ve ever had. The nose was buried into the dirt and foam everywhere! Unfortunately glue and tape ain’t working this time. I just wonder what I had done wrong.

Comment

• Comment

• Video of the aftermath.

Comment

Video of the aftermath.

https://youtu.be/_iUb9yKB8iI
                                  Watched your aftermath video, battery still looks secure to the tray even after that spectacular crash. Don't think it shifted in flight...Maybe CG was off from the start? I haven't seen that battery before, does it perform well? The specs on it appear fine... but say the battery was weak, and they delayed your rotation, and the airflow over your reduced elevator rate was insufficient to be effective... could these factors stemming from a weak battery caused this flight's outcome?

Comment

• Hello to everyone. I 'm going to buy this jet but i don't know wich color to choose.When flying , wich is more visible ? Also there is a new power in runner version is it worth to spend money on it ( 20 euros difference ) but there is only the silver version.The stock set up is fast enough ? It is not my first EDF actually i have a BAE HAWK FMS ( 300 flights ...Love it ) a freewing A4 a F16 camo 70 mm and a Super scorpion orange FMS. Thank you for yours responses !

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post

Watched your aftermath video, battery still looks secure to the tray even after that spectacular crash. Don't think it shifted in flight...Maybe CG was off from the start? I haven't seen that battery before, does it perform well? The specs on it appear fine... but say the battery was weak, and they delayed your rotation, and the airflow over your reduced elevator rate was insufficient to be effective... could these factors stemming from a weak battery caused this flight's outcome?
                                      Battery seemed to be perfectly fine. It was mostly a CG issue I believe.

Comment

• For me the blue... The power upgrade is good. More power for 20 is great.

Originally posted by Fredardi View Post
                                        Hello to everyone. I 'm going to buy this jet but i don't know wich color to choose.When flying for wich is more visible ? Also there is a new power in runner version is it worth to spend money on it ( 20 euros difference ) but there is only the silver version.The stock set up is fast enough ? It is not my first EDF actually i have a BAE HAWK FMS ( 300 flights ...Love it ) a freewing A4 a F16 camo 70 mm and a Super scorpion orange FMS. Thank you for yours responses !

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                          For me the blue... The power upgrade is good. More power for 20 is great.

Yes i know but the upgrade power in EU is not available in the blue scheme and i believe the silver scheme is not fantastic for orientation...

Comment

Working...
                                          X