You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing Twin 80mm/90mm A-10 Thunderbolt II Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
    Got out Wednesday with a few and got 4 flights in on my A-10 for the first time in a while. With our typical Spring winds being so strong for the last couple months, I had an opportunity to change my Mig-29 fans to the FMS 12 blade 3280-2100Kv inrunners (not that it need it with the TV nozzles) which added about 25% more thrust (have yet to get that up yet). I took the Mig fans (9-blade 3658-1920 Kv inrunners) and put them in my A-10 replacing the old outrunners (not that it needed it), which increased the thrust 15-20%. Talk about "Killing Two Birds With One Stone". WOW, really made a difference on getting off of grass and it's speed and vertical is outstanding. I've never flown it without all the ordinance, even on the maiden, so that's a testimony to it's incredible flight characteristics.

    I had painted those swirly white things on the fan hub and the first time out RudyD54 asked why it sounded like an "angry mosquito" as in the Mig they sounded great. He checked it and told me the fans were out of balance, probably due to the painted hubs. It was vibrating so much my JHH pilot came down with his eyes crossed and missed the post flight briefing due to a massive migraine. Well I guess you really can "teach old dogs new tricks" so thanks to gooniac33 and his outstanding fan balancing videos, it's now "quiet as a church mouse" except for the "whoose". Now if I can just figure out what all the hoopla is about over this thing called CG, I might be getting somewhere.

    Anyway, I do have to say the A-10 is the best and easiest flying EDF I have. I'd almost recommend it as an EDF trainer and with it's large size, orientation is never an issue. Easy to see why it's been around for so long and continues to sell well while never having to be upgraded; what can you do to something that's close to perfect except mess it up. I had zero complaints with the stock outrunner fans, but the Mig fans are spectacular in it. On 2 SMC 6200's I have my timer set at 5:30 and come down with 38-40% in the tank, flying it much faster than scale. If I spend the flight more scale like, I can get over 7 minutes before my flight pack voltage telemetry indicates low voltage. Thanks to FW/MRC for keeping this one on the Flight Line. If this was a HH product, it would have been gone long ago (and the overall quality would not have been as good, IMO).
    really glad to hear the videos helped!! And yes those SMC packs are pretty dang awesome!! I need to try some...
    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

    Comment


    • A favor, please. 🙏 I’m trying to remount the nose wheel gear doors on my A-10 (when I bought it used, it didn’t have any) and I’m unsure about how the rearward door mounts to the strut. I think I’m missing pieces, but if someone could kindly post a photo of that gear door, I would greatly appreciate it. TIA. 🙂
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Mud Duck View Post
        A favor, please. 🙏 I’m trying to remount the nose wheel gear doors on my A-10 (when I bought it used, it didn’t have any) and I’m unsure about how the rearward door mounts to the strut. I think I’m missing pieces, but if someone could kindly post a photo of that gear door, I would greatly appreciate it. TIA. 🙂
        Did you buy the door parts from Motion? If so, you should have gotten a white plastic spacer, a spring, and a screw. This is what it should look like with everything.

        Pat

        Comment


        • Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
          Did you buy the door parts from Motion? If so, you should have gotten a white plastic spacer, a spring, and a screw. This is what it should look like with everything.
          Thanks! I did buy the gear doors from Motion R/C. That’s exactly what I needed to see. 👍

          Comment


          • Hello modellers.
            I bought a used A-10 from a friend.
            The model requires a few repairs.
            I have a questions:
            1. Does the set (handle) from F16 (EDF 90mm) fit the A-10? Are the dimensions of the pylon handles the same in both models?
            https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fre...re-fj306110916
            2. Which main landing gear is better for the A-10?
            https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fre...eft-fj31111085
            or
            https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fre...ft-fj311110812

            Comment


            • Originally posted by RAFALR30 View Post
              Hello modellers.
              I bought a used A-10 from a friend.
              The model requires a few repairs.
              I have a questions:
              1. Does the set (handle) from F16 (EDF 90mm) fit the A-10? Are the dimensions of the pylon handles the same in both models?
              https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fre...re-fj306110916
              2. Which main landing gear is better for the A-10?
              https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fre...eft-fj31111085
              or
              https://www.motionrc.eu/products/fre...ft-fj311110812
              Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

              1. Yes. These mounts are universal for all Freewing planes that use them.
              2. If flying from grass, use the first link. If flying from a hard surface, use the second link.

              Also take note that in the stock form, the nose gear is the same as the second link you have. It's best to have the nose gear match up with the mains.

              CG is better at 86-90mm instead of the 78mm called for in the manual. And don't forget to set the elevators up 5mm for their neutral position (this is described in the manual).
              Pat

              Comment


              • Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

                1. Yes. These mounts are universal for all Freewing planes that use them.
                2. If flying from grass, use the first link. If flying from a hard surface, use the second link.

                Also take note that in the stock form, the nose gear is the same as the second link you have. It's best to have the nose gear match up with the mains.

                CG is better at 86-90mm instead of the 78mm called for in the manual. And don't forget to set the elevators up 5mm for their neutral position (this is described in the manual).
                crxmanpat thank you very much for Your answer and important information about CG and the elevator.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                  Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

                  1. Yes. These mounts are universal for all Freewing planes that use them.
                  2. If flying from grass, use the first link. If flying from a hard surface, use the second link.

                  Also take note that in the stock form, the nose gear is the same as the second link you have. It's best to have the nose gear match up with the mains.

                  CG is better at 86-90mm instead of the 78mm called for in the manual. And don't forget to set the elevators up 5mm for their neutral position (this is described in the manual).
                  Hello

                  I did not find in the manual information about getting the elevator 5 mm up.
                  Maybe you mean information like in the manual: "Flap-elevator mix parameter.
                  When deploying the flaps, the jet will tend to fly tail heavy. In order to correct this, we recommend a 'Flap/Elevator' mix
                  within your radio. In this case, when you deploy the flaps, the airplane will maintain level flight.
                  Setting range is as following:
                  Deploy flaps to 50mm, pre-set the elevator 3mm down.
                  Deploy flaps to 32mm, pre-set elevator 2mm down. Fine tune
                  these settings according to your individual taste." ?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by RAFALR30 View Post

                    Hello

                    I did not find in the manual information about getting the elevator 5 mm up.
                    Maybe you mean information like in the manual: "Flap-elevator mix parameter.
                    When deploying the flaps, the jet will tend to fly tail heavy. In order to correct this, we recommend a 'Flap/Elevator' mix
                    within your radio. In this case, when you deploy the flaps, the airplane will maintain level flight.
                    Setting range is as following:
                    Deploy flaps to 50mm, pre-set the elevator 3mm down.
                    Deploy flaps to 32mm, pre-set elevator 2mm down. Fine tune
                    these settings according to your individual taste." ?
                    It's actually the information directly above that:

                    1. Correct elevator center position

                    After assembly, adjust the elevator to
                    its center position, please refer to the photo.
                    After adjusting, the surface should look as if it has a little up
                    elevator.

                    The instructions don't say 5mm, but that is what it measures out to be.
                    Pat

                    Comment


                    • "wookin' pa nub in all da wong paces..."

                      Comment


                      • Does anyone know what paint number (FS number) Freewing uses to paint the A-10?
                        I have a few scratches and would like to paint the model.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by RAFALR30 View Post
                          Does anyone know what paint number (FS number) Freewing uses to paint the A-10?
                          I have a few scratches and would like to paint the model.
                          R3, I don't have the post number, however, if you'll look at the very early pages of this Official Thread, I guarantee you'll find a Home Depot paint number/picture and quite possibly the FS numbers, as well. Best, LB
                          Captain: Got any ideas?
                          F/O: Actually not.
                          — Captain Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger III and F/O Jeff Skiles—

                          You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

                          AMA#116446

                          Comment


                          • Finally decided to put the MIG-29 inrunner fans in the A-10. Looking forward to the longer flight times.

                            I've been flying this bird since the first batch in the pre-order. It's earned a new set of fans.

                            It's still my favorite Freewing EDF.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by RAFALR30 View Post
                              Does anyone know what paint number (FS number) Freewing uses to paint the A-10?
                              I have a few scratches and would like to paint the model.
                              I've found that Tamiya Acrylic XF-19 Sky Gray, has worked very well for me.
                              Lon

                              EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                              Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver Island Wings, Freewing Pandora.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Lon View Post

                                I've found that Tamiya Acrylic XF-19 Sky Gray, has worked very well for me.
                                LON thanks a lot for the information 👍

                                Comment


                                • FWIW I've found this compendium of topics on the A-10 on another forum pretty useful...

                                  https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...II-tips-tweaks

                                  -Dave

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by ATCDave1 View Post
                                    FWIW I've found this compendium of topics on the A-10 on another forum pretty useful...https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...II-tips-tweaks-Dave
                                    AD, Wow, now that's what I'm talkin' about. Thank you for posting this and what great information it is. Well done, Sir. Best, LB
                                    Captain: Got any ideas?
                                    F/O: Actually not.
                                    — Captain Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger III and F/O Jeff Skiles—

                                    You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

                                    AMA#116446

                                    Comment


                                    • How long do you fly with 2x6000mAh, 50C Admiral PRO battery?

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by RAFALR30 View Post
                                        How long do you fly with 2x6000mAh, 50C Admiral PRO battery?
                                        I used to use the Admiral Pro 50C and got 5 minutes of fairly aggressive flight time. Those batteries are OK, but not as good as the SMC 6200 40C batteries I now use in virtually everything. They are about 25 gr less in weight and have twice the actual discharge rate (C). The Admirals actual C is closer to 17C while the SMC's are around 38C. With that said, I get over 5 minutes on the SMC's if I push it hard (upgraded the fans to the 9 blade 3658-1920Kv inrunners that were in my Mig 29), and if I fly it more scale like, 6-7 minutes.

                                        I'm also balanced about 15-20mm further aft than the manual CG. With the stock outrunners and the Admirals, I suggest you initially set your timer at 4:00 and adjust from there depending on your flying style.
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

                                        Comment


                                        • Where do you get the SMC's from?

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X