X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Warbird Mike View Post
    Hey Guy's, I want to say first off this is a very good thread and I have learned a lot from you craftsman out there. I finally got to maiden my Hog this past Sunday and she flew like a dream after trimming out reduced to under half throttle and just enjoyed the scale looks and flight. She flies like a trainer, however I had the Ole A-10 bounce and now I am having to chop, cut and rebuild. I just wanted to tell you guy's that your wealth of knowledge and experiences has given me the confidence to tackle the rebuild and refinishing which I actually enjoy but I would rather be flying instead. I have not looked the FS colors yet to repaint. If you got them handy I would appreciate it and any tips. Thanks Sarge
    Hey Mike, welcome to the Squawk! heluva a way to get started though. Your pics look almost the same as what I recently went through. arrgh, I know that's a lot of work!! But work on it one piece at a time and you'll get there.

There are many options for paint, I'll mention what has worked well for some of us. Home Depot has these little 8oz "sample" jars of Behr paint that they can "color match" to a sample. I drag all my planes in there to gt pain for touch-ups, it comes in very handy Latex is very close to the same finish as what's on the models, its easy to handle and is safe on the foam. I just brush it on but you can dilute it with water and use an airbrush or sprayer... For the A-10 you want the flat base (part# UL204). The model has two colors, a light gray and a dark gray. The dark grey is what you want for most of the plane.

If you take a piece of the plane in (like a fin) they can scan it for you on the spot. Understand that if 10 of us do it, the machine will come up with a slightly different code so the code will be slightly different each time. So this is what they come up for me:

The code for the darker gray, which seems like a very good match, is: EL: 36 IL: 61 LL: 6
    The code for the lighter gray is: DL: 8 EL: 44 FL: 28 (I haven't used much of this)
    I brushed on Tamiya #XF-63 for the "fake canopy" on the bottom (I made mine bigger because the original FW paint job is too small)
    I use regular acrylic paint from the craft store for other details, like the black antenna dots at the front and rear fuselage, white paint for the missiles, etc.

Paint those servos!
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• MudDuck,

Thank you very much and have enjoyed reading and thinking about my approach to this repair. I landed the Hog nicely but went long to the bad end of our runway and she bounced, bounced, bounced. She fared better than I though but the mount was trashed and retract servo was busted, I save all parts because you just never know.

The cutting out portion was the toughest part of course you know this and because of your experience pushed me over the edge to get her back in shape and quick as possible so thank you.

I have a 3D printer and going to print the nose gear reinforcement in the new part when it arrives, I have wood to replace with but I have to justify the reason for my printer. As for the painting portion I believe I am going to go that route you recommended and if it is just a shade off I will just blend it in when I re-weather the business end!

You did a awesome job and like some many others on here True Craftsman so I do appreciate all the wealth of knowledge.

Side note, I grew up watching A-10's almost daily at Barksdale AFB in Louisiana, My Pop's use to take me out there and I would just watch for hours on end and fell in love with this plane. I join the service and became a Ground Pounder, went to Ft Polk/Tigerland in Louisiana for field exercises a few times and although I never saw them doing gun runs there you could clearly hear the massive GAU8 singing! Sweet Sweet Music!
      My unit deployed to Afghanistan in 09 and we were doing combat patrols with some very Special Units and well things went bad for us all and CAS was called in and before I even seen the A-10's show up I knew right away from the sound of the turbines off in the distances, I have goose bumps thinking about it now! I was the .50 gunner for my LT and I got to watch the awesome A-10's work their magic! I believe they did 5 or 6 gun runs and well the battle was over just like that. 30 some odd Insurgents were killed but it was very messy to say the least. Was a very long day and still very vivid.

Comment

• Attn 90mm upgrade owners. I need someone with a 90mm upgrade to take a measurement for me. I need to know the diameter of the exhaust nozzle. The pic shows the measurement I'm looking for. I want to take DirtyDee's 3D print file for the stock 80mm setup and enlarge it to fit the 90mm upgraded fans.

TIA
        Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Warbird Mike View Post
          MudDuck,

Thank you very much and have enjoyed reading and thinking about my approach to this repair. I landed the Hog nicely but went long to the bad end of our runway and she bounced, bounced, bounced. She fared better than I though but the mount was trashed and retract servo was busted, I save all parts because you just never know.

The cutting out portion was the toughest part of course you know this and because of your experience pushed me over the edge to get her back in shape and quick as possible so thank you.

I have a 3D printer and going to print the nose gear reinforcement in the new part when it arrives, I have wood to replace with but I have to justify the reason for my printer. As for the painting portion I believe I am going to go that route you recommended and if it is just a shade off I will just blend it in when I re-weather the business end!

You did a awesome job and like some many others on here True Craftsman so I do appreciate all the wealth of knowledge.

Side note, I grew up watching A-10's almost daily at Barksdale AFB in Louisiana, My Pop's use to take me out there and I would just watch for hours on end and fell in love with this plane. I join the service and became a Ground Pounder, went to Ft Polk/Tigerland in Louisiana for field exercises a few times and although I never saw them doing gun runs there you could clearly hear the massive GAU8 singing! Sweet Sweet Music!
          My unit deployed to Afghanistan in 09 and we were doing combat patrols with some very Special Units and well things went bad for us all and CAS was called in and before I even seen the A-10's show up I knew right away from the sound of the turbines off in the distances, I have goose bumps thinking about it now! I was the .50 gunner for my LT and I got to watch the awesome A-10's work their magic! I believe they did 5 or 6 gun runs and well the battle was over just like that. 30 some odd Insurgents were killed but it was very messy to say the least. Was a very long day and still very vivid.
          Mike, all I can say is that I am in awe that you served in Afghanistan and that you were in action with the A10, that is just almost beyond comprehension to a civvy like me. (I've seen a few videos but you were there.) Thank you for your service! Every time I fly my A10 I try to fly it realistically and do some tactical maneuvers like I've seen at airshows, where they simulate a gun run and evasion. I just think its right to fly a scale model like that, as an homage. The only thing missing is that loud brrrrt!!!
          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Ditto what themudduck said...Thank you for your service brother, and with the mighty A-10 no doubt!
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Anyone willing to trade for the snake front. I messed up mine. I have the the FMS one so donā€™t care for putting on the hog and I have plenty of the planes with the shark logo. Iā€™ll trade anyone one of those so you have an extra fro the snake. Let me know

Comment

• Originally posted by Big12fan View Post
                Anyone willing to trade for the snake front. I messed up mine. I have the the FMS one so donā€™t care for putting on the hog and I have plenty of the planes with the shark logo. Iā€™ll trade anyone one of those so you have an extra fro the snake. Let me know
                Big12- I have an extra set that will never get used. PM me your info and I will drop it in the mail.

Cheers,
                Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by gravity tester View Post

Big12- I have an extra set that will never get used. PM me your info and I will drop it in the mail.

Cheers,
                  Dan
                  Thanks Dan, will do.

One more question, the decal sheet is hard to read with all the tiny writings. Anyone have a clear view that has where all the decals go that is readable?

Comment

• Ok, My Hog is going through phased maint D check. Repairing the nose mount, replace the nose retract, finish the repairs from when i broke it clean in half. I never applied "all" the decals and such and will print the cockpit that DDee has made available. I read way way back the mod that Alpha did to the mix board with the jumper and wondering if that is a valid and tested mod to have the nose door stay open???
                    Another mod was to install a smaller nose wheel to a more scaleish look and to use th eF-16 nose wheel. Doing this, willi need to extend the nose strut make up for the smaller diameter wheel?
                    I did get the 90mm nacelles but havent doen anything with them as i have a twin 90mm A10 built from a WowPlanes kit. It is in need of th ewing replacement program and hasnt been in the air for several years now. ARC motors and HET fans, fairly heavy for the FW airframe.

Comment

• Good Morning gentlemen

i just got my twin 80mm A10 with a T14SG transmitter. I got the jet put together and the receiver in place. Iā€™m having a hard time getting the controller functions setup. Throttle kicks on while the joystick is centered. Ruddler works fine, but the other flaps arenā€™t functioning in a matter I prefer. This is my first RC jet so Iā€™m as green as they get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inception View Post
                        Good Morning gentlemen

i just got my twin 80mm A10 with a T14SG transmitter. I got the jet put together and the receiver in place. Iā€™m having a hard time getting the controller functions setup. Throttle kicks on while the joystick is centered. Ruddler works fine, but the other flaps arenā€™t functioning in a matter I prefer. This is my first RC jet so Iā€™m as green as they get.
                        I don't know Futaba, just Spektrum so ............................. Did you do the throttle calibration? This would be the same for a prop plane and a twin prop plane, so nothing different just because it's a "jet". On Spektrum, flaps are defaulted to a certain switch but in order to be able to set the flaps or zero them, you must open up the flap menu by telling the transmitter what kind of "wing type" you have. In this case, it would be "1 AIL, 1 FLAP". Is there something like that on a Futaba? You may also need to use some flap servo sub-trim to help zero the flaps. Again, not much different just because it's a jet. Have you had a prop plane with flaps before?

Comment

• The only thing I have ever clown was a Mavic 2 drone and Inspire 2. This is my very first RC plane and I have no experience flying these... lol

Comment

• Inception first of all welcome to Hobby Squawk! You've come to the right place to find informative and helpful advice, tips and tricks of the hobby. Allow me to be one of the first to offer you a friendly tip:

Do NOT fly this model as your first RC aircraft!

While it has some forgiving flight characteristics, by no means should this be considered someone's first model to learn to fly on. I highly suggest you purchase an RC simulator if you haven't already, and cut your teeth on that for several weeks....It's a wonderful way to earn stick time, acquire muscle memory and takeoff, fly and land without ever having to go through the "Walk of Shame" picking up pieces. Also, please consider a suitable trainer for your first model. Something with a high wing that can fly slow and stable.

At the very least consider joining a club and have someone Buddy Box with you to help with your first few flights. I just want to see you succeed my friend. Good luck!
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                              [USER="11999"]
                              Do NOT fly this model as your first RC aircraft!
                              I concur. An 80mm A-10 may not be the best first RC plane. As much as you are likely to be a proficient quad pilot, the muscle memory you've developed for those may prove to be detrimental to flying a big foamie EDF. I fly VTOL models (and the occasional quad) and my mind has to think one way when it's a multicopter and then instantly translate to the mindset for an airplane. Forget for just an instant and you'll have a pile (expensive pile) of foam that you'll take home in a large garbage bag.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                I concur. An 80mm A-10 may not be the best first RC plane. As much as you are likely to be a proficient quad pilot, the muscle memory you've developed for those may prove to be detrimental to flying a big foamie EDF. I fly VTOL models (and the occasional quad) and my mind has to think one way when it's a multicopter and then instantly translate to the mindset for an airplane. Forget for just an instant and you'll have a pile (expensive pile) of foam that you'll take home in a large garbage bag.
                                Iā€™m taking what you and the other guy said about flying this jet under consideration. For right now, Iā€™m just focus on setting and or adjusting my controls .

Comment

• In terms of setting this plane up, it's just a 6-ch plane if that's all you want it to be. Bind it, do the throttle calibration (can find that on a Google search). A twin is similar with only a minor adjustment in procedure due to having two motors. Tell your TX that you have flaps (1 ail, 1 flap, normal tail), then adjust for zero flaps as best you can with rod length, sub-trim, flap menu, switch assignment for flap. Center all your control surfaces with TX and RX on and all trims to neutral. Check all control surfaces for correct direction of travel when sticks are moved. Set all your control throws in "rates", "expo". Set timer, set throttle cut for safety.

Comment

• I forget who it was that posted on here about moving the CG back 15-20mm and upgrading the nose wheel mount, but I wanted to say a big thank you, it worked perfectly for me.

I had been getting extremely frustrated with the nose wheel bounce, I consider myself an advanced pilot and fly turbines but have never consistetly experienced anything quite like it.

Ity makes me wonder exactly how much product testing gets done as this thread is full of nose wheel issues that could have easliy been resolved from day 1.

Anyway, whosoever made that post will know who they are and have my deepest gratitude... SALUTE (as they say in Slovenia)!

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
                                      I forget who it was that posted on here about moving the CG back 15-20mm and upgrading the nose wheel mount, but I wanted to say a big thank you, it worked perfectly for me.

I had been getting extremely frustrated with the nose wheel bounce, I consider myself an advanced pilot and fly turbines but have never consistetly experienced anything quite like it.

Ity makes me wonder exactly how much product testing gets done as this thread is full of nose wheel issues that could have easliy been resolved from day 1.

Anyway, whosoever made that post will know who they are and have my deepest gratitude... SALUTE (as they say in Slovenia)!
                                      Not sure about the nose wheel mount as I suggest upgrading the mains, but I did say move the CG 15 to 20mm back, (post 431), so you're welcome. šŸ˜ I'm glad you had success! Congrats as they say from America/Korea!

Comment

• Anyone on here install the 90mm on theirs. Iā€™ve just got mine out of the box because Iā€™ve been flying the FMS version for the past 2 years. I only have one jet that has 2 engines/motors and it has only one UBEC but the videos Iā€™ve researched on this bird has has 2 ubecs. Doesnā€™t seem right???

Comment

• Originally posted by Big12fan View Post
                                          Anyone on here install the 90mm on theirs. Iā€™ve just got mine out of the box because Iā€™ve been flying the FMS version for the past 2 years. I only have one jet that has 2 engines/motors and it has only one UBEC but the videos Iā€™ve researched on this bird has has 2 ubecs. Doesnā€™t seem right???
                                          The A-10 flies great right out of the box, but I did modify it to use 90mm EDF's on one of my A-10's (and used Freewing 130A ESC's, Castle external BEC, and Castle Cap Packs on each system), and the second A-10 I used the Freewing 80mm power system with 12-blade fan and 1857kv inrunner motors, along with the stock 100A ESC's (they already have extra Capacitors soldered to it) and stock external BEC (aka UBEC). The stock system comes with one UBEC to power the receiver, retracts and servos, which is all that is needed and recommended. You wouldn't want a second UBEC in the system. If I were to do it all over again, I'd likely just do the upgrade to the plane with the drop-in fit Freewing 12-blade with inrunner motor power systems because the improved sound, power, reasonable cost compared to the 90mm upgrade, and ease of install (and can keep the stock 100A ESC's). I didn't enjoy the sound of the stock 80mm 9-blade power system on the A-10, so they had to go .

Comment

Working...
                                          X