X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Splat View Post

Thanks Corsair, I adjusted that and looks like it tracks straight now.

So this afternoon I did a couple of high/low power turns in my garage to simulate flying with various throttle settings and control surface throws. Timer set at 3:30 and when it buzzed I actually spent about another 30 seconds getting her on the "ground". Batts checked at between 37%-40% remaining which I'm thinking would be enough for a go around. That seems to be pretty much on point with what people are getting for flight times and with throttle management I could squeek 4:00 minutes lol.

After the high/low power turns the line shack towed her out the the CALA where ordnance was waiting to load the bird. Being a Navy red shirt I spent a little time getting the ordnance to look a little more convincing lol.

Charging my batteries tonight for a FCF Delta maiden tomorrow after work!

Click image for larger version

Name:	armed2.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	268329Click image for larger version

Name:	armed3.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	268330Click image for larger version

Name:	armed4.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	268331Click image for larger version

Name:	armed1.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	268332Click image for larger version

Name:	armed5.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	268333
    Woooohoo, time has come for the real deal now, let us know how it goes, your going to be surprised how good it flies even at 1/2 throttle, take off full power, but after that you can cruise with 1/2 throttle to get even more flight time, trim her out and do a few approaches after you enjoy it for a bit...

Comment

• Can't wait Corsair! Tomorrow will be a long day at work lol.

So apparently I bought a low power 50w battery charger, I wasn't even thinking when I bought it...that's why its taking my batteries forever to charge so I bought a better 400w that can charge multiple batteries at a time. That should help lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
        The 12bl will be even quieter than the 9bl. The full scale has unducted fans and sounds more like an airliner than a fighter jet (has more of that turbofan "whine"). The whistles are typically only effective at lower throttle settings. I found that they are ineffective at anything above half throttle. Probably has to do with the speed of the airflow over them. I'd say save yourself the expense and stick with the 9bl.
        Yeah you are probably right. There is no ducting in the short nacelles so they will sound like an airliner. I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Comment

Can't wait Corsair! Tomorrow will be a long day at work lol.

So apparently I bought a low power 50w battery charger, I wasn't even thinking when I bought it...that's why its taking my batteries forever to charge so I bought a better 400w that can charge multiple batteries at a time. That should help lol.
          Yeah I was going to say something about your charger but I just didn't want to burst your bubble and tell you that you had to spend more money, I have a 320 watt charger that I use once in awhile, it does four 6S 5000 60C at 3.5 amps for each battery, takes about 45 minutes, depends on what my storage charge is left at, so your 400 watt charger will do fine as long as you have a good power supply. I can also charge eight to ten 6s 5000 batteries at the same time, what I did was pick up chargers people were selling cheap, even a couple of single chargers, plug them in all at once and I can have eight to ten batteries ready in no time.....

Comment

After the high/low power turns the line shack towed her out the the CALA where ordnance was waiting to load the bird. Being a Navy red shirt I spent a little time getting the ordnance to look a little more convincing lol.]
            Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• So had my batteries charged, loaded her into the truck and headed to my local soccer field which has been empty all season because of COVID....until today. 🤬🤬🤬

Yup two huge soccer fields full of little booger picking kids practicing soccer, signs saying coached and players only allowed on the fields. Ugh. Guess I'll have to find a secondary field to fly or try the fields again early this weekend when hopefully no kids are practicing.

FCF postponed.

Comment

So had my batteries charged, loaded her into the truck and headed to my local soccer field which has been empty all season because of COVID....until today. 🤬🤬🤬

Yup two huge soccer fields full of little booger picking kids practicing soccer, signs saying coached and players only allowed on the fields. Ugh. Guess I'll have to find a secondary field to fly or try the fields again early this weekend when hopefully no kids are practicing.

FCF postponed.
                Well bummer, hopefully you find another runway soon, if not, you might want to discharge those batteries down to storage charge, if you think its going to be awhile before you fly it.

Comment

• I feel your pain brother. Since we fly mainly at a middle school, we have had more than our share of disappointing "Turn The Car Around And Go Homes" when we see the school is inundated with sports or just general human activity. The former Pre-COVID and the latter during COVID with families bored, taking their kiddies and dogs to the school to walk around. This is the heartache of living in an area that doesn't have a devoted awesome RC paved airfield locally.
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I'm trying again this evening or tomorrow morning so fingers crossed. I think the one thing I'm going to learn with an aircraft this size is that is isn't just as easy as throwing her in the truck and tossing her up in the closest field to get some time on the sticks. Driving cross town to your favorite field only to have it unavailable is disappointing. Time to get on the old Google Maps/Earth and look for some airspace lol.

Comment

I'm trying again this evening or tomorrow morning so fingers crossed. I think the one thing I'm going to learn with an aircraft this size is that is isn't just as easy as throwing her in the truck and tossing her up in the closest field to get some time on the sticks. Driving cross town to your favorite field only to have it unavailable is disappointing. Time to get on the old Google Maps/Earth and look for some airspace lol.
                      Just curious are there no R/C club fields in your area?
                      Mike
                      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post

Just curious are there no R/C club fields in your area?
                        Mike
                        There are but honestly I'm not one for joining a club and jumping thru their hoops, i.e. proof of AMA membership, club dues, check flights with snobby instructors...and so on. No offense to anyone but growing up my dad was a member of a few of those "clubs" and I always found them to be full of elitist good-ol-boy busybodies...left a bad taste in my mouth. When I started into the hobby on my own later in life I was, an still remain, a casual park flyer who does his own thing, where I can, when I can ya know? Again no offense to anyone lol.

Comment

There are but honestly I'm not one for joining a club and jumping thru their hoops, i.e. proof of AMA membership, club dues, check flights with snobby instructors...and so on. No offense to anyone but growing up my dad was a member of a few of those "clubs" and I always found them to be full of elitist good-ol-boy busybodies...left a bad taste in my mouth. When I started into the hobby on my own later in life I was, an still remain, a casual park flyer who does his own thing, where I can, when I can ya know? Again no offense to anyone lol.
                          Most of the " elitist good-ol-boy busybodies" are gone due to age. I've noticed over the last few years most of the new members are really OK guys. Now with all this BS with the FAA going on a AMA club field may be you only haven from the over zealous FEDS. Now granted the AMA has dropped the ball on this but they may just be our last resort. Just something to think about.

Mike.
                          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• If nothing else, it may be worth a trip to the local club just to talk to the guys and see what requirements there may be (other than AMA membership and dues). Our club has about 250 members, most of them older guys (big retirement area here), and they are all the nicest guys. I agree with Mike, most of the "elitist" guys are gone now.
                            Pat

Comment

• Believe me that is something on the forefront of my mind, I worked in aviation pretty much my whole adult life both military and civilian and deal with the feds a lot. I'm not much worried about the FAA but the annoying "Karen"s that come outta the woodworks when you do anything that they don't like and threaten to report you or whatnot.

And I have checked out the requirements for my local club, like I said they require an AMA membership (not a big deal and probably should have one anyway) and then they have a written test and a proficiency check flights with multiple instructors to see that you are "good enough" for their club. I understand the reasoning behind it but its the principle of the matter to me.

Comment

• Picked one of these up from a guy at my local field, he never flew it because of an issue with the left aileron servo. When you plug batteries in the left aileron servo locks in the full down position . I’ve pulled servo horn and linkage off it still does it . I used a servo tester and cycled servo it works fine, plug back into control box locks down. I plugged both into rx directly they work fine? Can there be something wrong with the control box? Can I bypass it completly?

Comment

And I have checked out the requirements for my local club, like I said they require an AMA membership (not a big deal and probably should have one anyway) and then they have a written test and a proficiency check flights with multiple instructors to see that you are "good enough" for their club. I understand the reasoning behind it but its the principle of the matter to me.
                                  A written test and multiple check flights seems very extreme to me. Probably not a club you want to belong to then.
                                  Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrthog View Post
                                    Picked one of these up from a guy at my local field, he never flew it because of an issue with the left aileron servo. When you plug batteries in the left aileron servo locks in the full down position . I’ve pulled servo horn and linkage off it still does it . I used a servo tester and cycled servo it works fine, plug back into control box locks down. I plugged both into rx directly they work fine? Can there be something wrong with the control box? Can I bypass it completly?
                                    Probably just a bad servo. Check with a different servo to see if it still does it. If not, bad servo. If it still does it, then it's something in the ribbon cable or control box. But it's probably the servo, and if so, replace it with this one:

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...tal-gear-servo
                                    Pat

Comment

A written test and multiple check flights seems very extreme to me. Probably not a club you want to belong to then.
                                      Kinda my thoughts exactly.

Comment

Bingo. They sound like uptight elitists. I wouldn't bother.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Has anyone tried a 12S setup on this bird? How's the flight performance? Flight time?

Comment

Working...
                                          X