X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

WH, Don't know the absolute limit, though I recall RCjetdude's A-10 was just above 14 lbs with all his mods. Best, LB
    Mine flew at 16lbs. on the stock fans.

Comment

• With all the mods I did, mine comes in at just under 17 lbs.! Haven’t flown it yet. It has 12 blade 90mm EDFs. 10g wire all through, 130 amp ESCs and the batteries are 8000 mah 100C.

Comment

• Anyone know where I can find the gray tape used to hide the servo wires on the base grey stock model?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by salali View Post
          Anyone know where I can find the gray tape used to hide the servo wires on the base grey stock model? Thanks.
          SI, Welcome to "The Squawk". I used white electricians' tape from the local home store. It came in a blaster pack with 3 or 4 other colors. I painted it with matching latex paints.. Make certain the tape is 'relaxed' before painting it and allow it to dry completely before lifting it to add to your airframe. I did the "Peanut Scheme" though and had the latex paints on hand. You could do something similarly with either latex or enamels, I would think.. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	951
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	327261
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

SI, Welcome to "The Squawk". I used white electricians' tape from the local home store. It came in a blaster pack with 3 or 4 other colors. I painted it with matching latex paints.. Make certain the tape is 'relaxed' before painting it and allow it to dry completely before lifting it to add to your airframe. I did the "Peanut Scheme" though and had the latex paints on hand. You could do something similarly with either latex or enamels, I would think.. Best, LB

Thanks Elbee . That's a great idea. I'll either look for a color match at my local hobby store or color match at paint store.

You did an amazing job w/ your A-10. I'm seriously thinking about customizing mine to the Blacksnake livery. Tracking orientation might be an issue though.

~Cheers

Comment

MAN ELbee, that is a sharp looking bird. Great paint job!!

Comment

• Elbee
                Elbee commented
                Editing a comment
                I thank you, Sir. This bird was my return to the hobby after 20+ years. Things have certainly evolved since those days, but the customizing is much like old school scratch-building with all the perks of a ready made airframe. I love the way this plane tracks and is just so solid. I had some buckin'-bronco landing damage, but that was entirely on me and since has been fully repaired. Best, LB

• Just upgraded to dual 90mm using the HSDJets EDF units. She flies amazing, much more slow speed thrust and better verticals. Top speed is about the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                Just upgraded to dual 90mm using the HSDJets EDF units. She flies amazing, much more slow speed thrust and better verticals. Top speed is about the same.
                PZ, great looking Hawg, my friend. Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Question! What is the hottest temp you can take a brushless motor to?

Comment

• Interesting!!! I just did a test of my A-10 thrust. It has 90mm EDFs. I tied it to a hook in the wall and put a fish scale in the line. It had 12 blade fans. It pulled at 11 lbs. 12 oz.. I swapped out the fans for 9 blade. It pulled 12 lbs. 14 oz.!!! I'm keeping the 9 blades in it. The bird is HEAVY and needs all the thrust it can get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Warthog View Post
                      Interesting!!! I just did a test of my A-10 thrust. It has 90mm EDFs. I tied it to a hook in the wall and put a fish scale in the line. It had 12 blade fans. It pulled at 11 lbs. 12 oz.. I swapped out the fans for 9 blade. It pulled 12 lbs. 14 oz.!!! I'm keeping the 9 blades in it. The bird is HEAVY and needs all the thrust it can get.
                      I find the stock set up more than adequate. Fly most of my flights at 1/2 throttle.

Mike
                      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• How much does your A-10 weigh? Mine is almost 17 lbs. with all the mods I have done.

Comment

How much does your A-10 weigh? Mine is almost 17 lbs. with all the mods I have done.
                          I don't weigh my models. I've painted mine and did the strut upgrade. I also run 6000 MA batteries. I'm sure it's over the stock weight. As I said it's fine stock.

Mike
                          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• I'm glad for you.

Comment

• Who makes the most powerful (thrust) EDF 90mm ??? Thinking of upgrading. Thanks.

Comment

Who makes the most powerful (thrust) EDF 90mm ??? Thinking of upgrading. Thanks.
                                That's a bit of a loaded question. My suggestion would be to go to RC Castle and look up ALL the 90mm units they sell. Each one describes the thrust and at what amp draw. For mass produced (not specialty, limited production) EDF units, you can see 6s fans and 8s fans, which will be your most powerful units. However, the next question is whether or not the battery compartment will hold enough batteries to fly this thing for a reasonable length of time. Twin 8s battery sets that are at least 5000mah take up much more space than the equivalent 6s packs.

Comment

• I've been looking at the WeMoTec 89 mm, EVO Midifan EDF

Not sure how they would work. I'm running 8000 mAh batteries and 130 amp ESCs.

Comment

• Quick video on my "Snow Hog" that I got out last week with a few other EDF's. This is definitely one of the most relaxing EDF's I have to fly. It's so stable and it's slow flight capability is unmatched, yet even the twin 80mm version has more than enough power do to any maneuver you desire. I'm flying it on 2 SMC 6200mah packs balanced around 18-20mm further back than book recommendation. I've set my timer for 5 minutes of useful throttle time (shutting off at 28%) so usually end up with 6-7 minutes of air time. Not bad for such a large EDF. If the real thing flies as nice as this model, I can see why our troops on the ground and our "Hog" pilots love this machine so much!

Name:	20211128_101312.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	331802

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thrust angle
                                      With so many posts to search through, I need to ask….thrust angle….my A-10 is correctly balanced and requires no trim in flight. If I relax the elevator to much after take off, it noses over. If I do touch-and-go’s and add power before touching down the nose dives quickly. Does the upgraded power unit have a better thrust angle? Other solution?

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by TScott View Post
                                        Thrust angle
                                        With so many posts to search through, I need to ask….thrust angle….my A-10 is correctly balanced and requires no trim in flight. If I relax the elevator to much after take off, it noses over. If I do touch-and-go’s and add power before touching down the nose dives quickly. Does the upgraded power unit have a better thrust angle? Other solution?

Thanks!
                                        Did you set the elevators at the recommended 3 to 5 degrees reflex?

Comment

Working...
                                        X