X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 90mm F/A-18E Hornet V2 Thread

I didn't see a "gathering spot" thread for this bird so I thought I would start. I'm not ashamed to admit I have had 8 of these (some full turn key PNP, some replacement airframes from crashes)...I've painted 6 of them in the Blue Angel scheme (yes even had tails "1 through 6", lol, and yes I am well aware the Blue Angels fly the "C" variant, not the "E")...The F-18 has always been my favorite F model. My first two were the V1 and the rest have been V2s. Such a great flyer. Dead stick landings have always been easy affairs. Never have liked the EPS foam though. Your finger nail will leave a crescent moon shape in the foam just hovering over the darn thing I swear.

Of course I am crossing my fingers that Freewing comes out with an updated single 90mm or twin 80mm model...Perhaps a "C" variant with airbrake, full span flap(erons), slats, working canopy, etc, etc...Well a guy can dream at least.

I maidened #8 last week. Decent flight but I lost my battery hatch that had my Mobius attached to it, of course over the tree line. I searched for hours 3 different times in the general area that I noticed something white "fluttering" away from the jet to no avail. I thought it was one of the outboard white missiles...Oh well. At least I got her down in mostly one piece! Speaking of piece, I hope Freewing starts offering the battery hatch as a spare part so we can sell them to people like me who lose them. The latch normally works just fine but I must of not had the latch fully closed like I thought it was...Ah well I digress...

I found a guy on RCG who was kind enough to offer me a spare hatch thankfully saving me what no doubt would have been an endless, fruitless search for one in the darkest reaches of the interwebs. As for the Mobius, my buddy gave me the one I had given him (for fixing it) back to me since he never really takes video of his flights, so all-in-all, it worked out great! I got lucky this time.

Today we spent a couple hours figuring out the various mixing needed to achieve full span flaperons. It was quite an ordeal but it looks and works great. I have the flaperon setting on my flap switch. So neutral/normal mode, then I hit the first level of the flap switch for mid-level flaperons, and second level on the switch for full flaperon deflection. It's not quite as bad ass looking as the full scale but still pretty cool all the same. If anyone wants the SPM file I would be happy to send it to you.

Any other FW 90mm F-18 loyalists out there?

In my dreams a new FW F-18 would look like this... :Silly: Click image for larger version  Name:	F18DBlueAngel7_1.jpga06969ea-3dc0-454d-ac42-1279bf75e610Original.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	64244
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I would order two if FW would come out with an F-18 that looks like that. I enjoy flying my F-18 V2, it flies great, one of the best 90mm jets out there.

Comment

Yeah it tends to get lost in the excitement and scale appeal of the new gen stuff but it's my favorite 90mm EDF jet I've ever flown. I would love to see Freewing give it a "new gen" upgrade that's for sure.
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Absolutelyyyyyyy. An updated F-18 and a large F-22 is what I'm hoping to see in the near future.

Comment

Yeah I am with you on the F-22...Would love to have a giant scale F-22!
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I would love to have a copy of your flaperon spm file. How do we connect?

Comment

I'm on my 3rd one now. My first (and my favorite) was the Australian theme. My rough field beat them all up really bad. My current one is the V2 and has flaps, which work fairly well but hitting a gopher mound busted it up bad, so it's in pretty rough shape. It still flies but looks terrible on the ground up close. I'd get another one when the next version comes out, assuming that it has some noticeable improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                I would love to have a copy of your flaperon spm file. How do we connect?
                Send me your email address in a Private Message and I will send you the SPM file!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                  Absolutelyyyyyyy. An updated F-18 and a large F-22 is what I'm hoping to see in the near future.
                  DEFINITELY! Both would be pure win!

I know Freewing could knock a new F-18 out of the park...

No foolish vectoring... Twin rudders, flaps... Lean and mean (3200g MAX) with 8s capability!

Comment

That sure seems like a clear winner to me. Haha. Freewing may not want to repeat an airframe in the same size, butttttttt some airframes sell well and it may be worth releasing a new rendition since the current F-18 design (although updated a couple times) is an old one now.

Comment

That sure seems like a clear winner to me. Haha. Freewing may not want to repeat an airframe in the same size, butttttttt some airframes sell well and it may be worth releasing a new rendition since the current F-18 design (although updated a couple times) is an old one now.
                      I think they know there's a big market in a redesign... Look at how well their 70mm F-16 redesign is doing... :)

Comment

They certainly have the technology! Make it so!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

If anyone else wants the SPM file for full span flaperons, let me know...

My settings: DX18 using an 8CH Spektrum RX,,,

Both flaps and ailerons are all on their own channels. No Y connectors. The layout is:

CH1 > Throttle

CH2 > Right Aileron

CH3 > Elevator

CH4 > Rudder

CH5 > Gear

CH6 > Left Aileron

CH7 > Left Flap

CH8 > Right Flap

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I had not only already suggested a while back a V2 of the current Freewing F/A-18 Hornet but for it to also have the option to be configured as a EA-18G Growler.
                            I had gotten the idea after seen a quite a few people put some fabricated jamming pods on their F/A-18E and calling it a Growler. Except it would never be true Growler without a 2 seat cockpit.
                            It would be great if the new version came as a 2-seat F variant, but I think it would be better if it were produced in such a way that it would allow for it to be configured as either a single seat or a 2-seater by simply swapping the top cockpit panel that would be removable anyways for access to the inside of fuselage .
                            I am sure a model with this much option of configuration would appeal to a wider range of pilots.

Another thing that I and several other readers of this forum had commented about was doing away with the thrust vectoring that the current Freewing model has.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EA-18G Growler.jpg Views:	1 Size:	298.2 KB ID:	65094

Comment

Oh I love that idea Evoman. A 2-seat F-variant that could be configured single or two seater, indeed there's wide appeal there I would think. As for the TV, I couldn't agree more. It was gimicky from the get-go. My current FW F-18 I glued the nozzles. Could care less about TV on this bird.
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I have yet to get one of these..mainly because of the TV..but if they updated it, Id get one for sure. Currently I have the Exceed 70mm , but havent flown it yet ..still have to replace the crappy LG
                                www.TSHobbies.com
                                Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                  Oh I love that idea Evoman. A 2-seat F-variant that could be configured single or two seater, indeed there's wide appeal there I would think. As for the TV, I couldn't agree more. It was gimicky from the get-go. My current FW F-18 I glued the nozzles. Could care less about TV on this bird.
                                  Yeah, if it had true twin rudders I would've removed all the TV servos as dead weight from the get go.

I hope they'll consider remaking/revising this jet sometime soon as it REALLY deserves it. Such a great airframe and flier!

Comment

Totally agree!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I think there are "a few" of us that would be in complete agreement. The bug I have now is a sweet flyer but it sure doesn't take much to scuff the EPS. EPO is much more resilent0 I glued/disabled the thrust vectoring on mine as well. The real one didn't have it so....
                                      On the other hand, the F-22 should have TV in keeping with scale I'd take either or both.

2nd flight on my F-18 (from a couple of years ago) https://youtu.be/vgb3Wtmb7zA
                                      My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

I would be all over a 80mm or 90mm F/A-18C!! The thrust vectoring one that they made in the past was just doofy to me. I want a clean C model with airbrake... Please???
                                        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Working...
                                        X