X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tezact,
    Welcome to Hobbysquawk! I haven't had the pleasure to welcome you yet. :)

1) I don't see any need whatsoever for a thrust tube on the stock PRO setup. The aircraft's outlet diameter and taper was optimized to work in concert with the stock motor and fan, and the overall volume of the ducting. Choking down to a smaller thrust tube might buy you a couple mph, but only at the cost of amps since you'd be falling off the other end of the output curve. If you wanted to add a tube that kept the current diameter, but just "smoothed out" the air, I suppose that might help, but I seriously doubt if the gains you'll actually perceive in the air will be noticeable. You'll potentially encounter the challenge of getting an absolutely smooth transition between the EDF's trailing edge and the thrust tube material itself, and any disturbance would work against your efficiency gains.

2) I don't have the model in front of me so perhaps someone else can measure it to be sure, although I don't think an 80mm EDF can fit in there. Even if it could physically fit, I really don't think an 80mm EDF is necessary in this aircraft. You wouldn't have the ducting volume to properly feed it, anyway. The stock setup is fast and nimble with excellent thrust. Please consider enjoying the aircraft stock, as it was designed, before reevaluating if you really want to add more time and money into a possibly unrewarding modification. This advice, coming from the Designer ;)

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks Alpha. I'll keep it just the way God made it:)

Comment

Getting close to finishing the 6S Pro done up in Toledo Stinger livery from Callie Graphics. Really like to upgrade gear on it. Impressed with the effort put into the V2 design. Well done. I do have a question for those who are using the upgrade suspension gear of any type. Is anyone using any kind of lube to prevent metal to metal wear? Personally, I wouldn't use oil as that will collect dirt that will cause more wear. Thinking about a silicon spray. I've used that on the jackscrew in electric retracts that aren't prelubed with good success.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
          I do have a question for those who are using the upgrade suspension gear of any type. Is anyone using any kind of lube to prevent metal to metal wear? Personally, I wouldn't use oil as that will collect dirt that will cause more wear. Thinking about a silicon spray. I've used that on the jackscrew in electric retracts that aren't prelubed with good success.
          I picked up some White Lithium Grease for the gear on my HSD F-16. Not sure if this directly applies here but I heard really good things about it for gear.

My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I ordered mine today, just waiting on the big brown truck now!! Got my graphics from Callie, and I am ready to go!! Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_115941.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	59508Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160531-184333.png
Views:	775
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	59509

Comment

Looking good, Twowingtj. I'm curious if you had any connection or affinity for the livery you chose? The struts look good, too. That should give you at least somewhat of a fighting chance on your grass when it's cut short in the Spring.

For metal to metal lubricant, I use white lithium grease. The viscosity depends on the application. Automotive grade is good for higher temps, but we're really not seeing that in a wheel axle on a foamy plane. To cut down on squeakiness, I've also used teflon bike chain lubricant if I have it handy. It dries without stickiness and doesn't attract much dirt.

Comment

got a couple more flights in yesterday... this thing is a blast!! A motor upgrade is coming soon though...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                  got a couple more flights in yesterday... this thing is a blast!! A motor upgrade is coming soon though...

Nice! I'm very impressed with the stock PRO system (For a PNP setup), but I'm going for a mild upgrade as well.

What are you going with?

I'm doing a XRP 13b with a lightweight HET 2w-30... It should make about 150-200g more thrust and come in a little lighter than the stock unit. : )

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post

Nice! I'm very impressed with the stock PRO system (For a PNP setup), but I'm going for a mild upgrade as well.

What are you going with?

I'm doing a XRP 13b with a lightweight HET 2w-30... It should make about 150-200g more thrust and come in a little lighter than the stock unit. : )
                    xrp 14 blade with dr. mad thrust (rc lander) 2200kv motor. Not sure of the weight difference. but it should be a good combo! It has worked great in other planes! The 70mm Yak 130 loves it as does the 70mm Sea Vixen
                    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

xrp 14 blade with dr. mad thrust (rc lander) 2200kv motor. Not sure of the weight difference. but it should be a good combo! It has worked great in other planes! The 70mm Yak 130 loves it as does the 70mm Sea Vixen
                      Nice! Yeah, it's just that those DMT inrunners are heavy SOBs ha!

I'm also going to try a V3 10 Blader/HET 2200 as well, but I'm sure it'll be a slight downgrade coming from the stocker. Still worth a test for lower amp draw though.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                        Looking good, Twowingtj. I'm curious if you had any connection or affinity for the livery you chose? The struts look good, too. That should give you at least somewhat of a fighting chance on your grass when it's cut short in the Spring.

For metal to metal lubricant, I use white lithium grease. The viscosity depends on the application. Automotive grade is good for higher temps, but we're really not seeing that in a wheel axle on a foamy plane. To cut down on squeakiness, I've also used teflon bike chain lubricant if I have it handy. It dries without stickiness and doesn't attract much dirt.
                        Alpha, no real affinity for the choice. I was just looking for options and ran across this offering at Callie. I thought the big bee on the tail would just give it a bit more attitude. I really like those upgrade struts. I don't think I'll have any problems with taking off or landing with this bird.

On the lube question I was refering to where the inner and outer strut slide into each other. The machining is very good, but it seems with time they could wear at that point and start binding. It's one of those "ounce of prevention" things.

Comment

On the lube question I was refering to where the inner and outer strut slide into each other. The machining is very good, but it seems with time they could wear at that point and start binding. It's one of those "ounce of prevention" things.
                          In that case, try the teflon lubricant, which goes on wet but dries... dry. Avoid lubricants with high petroleum content, as they won't play nice with the plastic in your retract. Same reason why more common lubricants like WD40 isn't recommended. When in doubt, pure silicon oil lubes well, but it attracts dirt, which is why in a retract situation, especially the 70mm F-16 where the leadscrew is easily accessed by dirt, I recommend a dry lube.

Whatever you use, do not use more than a tiny drop. Resist the urge to paste it on.

Comment

Hi there, mine is still on the slow boat but due very soon. Even though we never had any F16s I am going with a "fantasy RAAF scheme" that I have sketched and refined.
                            Has anyone managed to squeeze in a 6S 5000mah battery?
                            What flight times are you getting from your 6S batteries and what was your realistic flying style?
                            Thanks
                            Tezact

Comment

Originally posted by tezact View Post
                              Hi there, mine is still on the slow boat but due very soon. Even though we never had any F16s I am going with a "fantasy RAAF scheme" that I have sketched and refined.
                              What flight times are you getting from your 6S batteries and what was your realistic flying style?
                              Thanks
                              Tezact
                              I chose a light pack... I use the 4s 30c 6000mah packs and am getting up to 4 mins flying time. This little plane rips too!! I love it!! Check out this flight from friday...

Comment

Hi Gooniac, you've done some nice vids of late of all your jets. I have enjoyed. I have a few on my YouTube channel ... search under Tezact.
                                Anyway, mine arrived today - the kit version. I also bought the Pro motor/fan that I will test against a hot Jetfan and Het motor that I have from a previous model. I'll decide which to put in after the testing. I have also found that a 6S 5000mah battery fits snuggly, but may have to move it about for CoG. I will repaint it and cover it with 1/2oz fibreglass cloth and seal in with Waterbased Polyeurethane. I also bought the upgraded retracts. So all good to build.

Comment

Thanks
                                  Tezact
                                  I'm running mine lean with a 6s 3300, but you can easily run a 4000 (At most) in this plane for more flight time.

5000 would be VERY sluggish and would probably not be able to be shifted aft far enough to hit the cg IMHO. It'd also be stressful on the airframe and gear as well.

I think 3300-4000 is the sweet spot.

Comment

Hi Gooniac, you've done some nice vids of late of all your jets. I have enjoyed. I have a few on my YouTube channel ... search under Tezact.
                                    Anyway, mine arrived today - the kit version. I also bought the Pro motor/fan that I will test against a hot Jetfan and Het motor that I have from a previous model. I'll decide which to put in after the testing. I have also found that a 6S 5000mah battery fits snuggly, but may have to move it about for CoG. I will repaint it and cover it with 1/2oz fibreglass cloth and seal in with Waterbased Polyeurethane. I also bought the upgraded retracts. So all good to build.
                                    I just finished installing the upgrade gear on mine. Just a hint, before you reglue the lg covers back on, set them in place and retract the gear. I had to trim the inboard side of each main gear opening near the wheels and the nose gear opening near the wheel also to get the gear to clear. I also found that I had to sand the end of the opening when the gear is extended so the strut didn't hit the end. I didn't find this out until I had already glued the covers back on. Much easier to adjust the openings before hand.

Also noticed that with the new gear I had to move the Admiral Pro 4000mah battery back further than what was shown in the MRC video to achieve proper CG. I really doubt a 5000mah battery would work.

Comment

I just finished installing the upgrade gear on mine. Just a hint, before you reglue the lg covers back on, set them in place and retract the gear. I had to trim the inboard side of each main gear opening near the wheels and the nose gear opening near the wheel also to get the gear to clear. I also found that I had to sand the end of the opening when the gear is extended so the strut didn't hit the end. I didn't find this out until I had already glued the covers back on. Much easier to adjust the openings before hand.

Also noticed that with the new gear I had to move the Admiral Pro 4000mah battery back further than what was shown in the MRC video to achieve proper CG. I really doubt a 5000mah battery would work.
                                      Good call about trimming the covers... I had to do this after the fact as well.

Comment

Here's a video recorded by Alpha of one of my F-16 flights at Apollo Field in Van Nuys, CA. Nice camera work Alpha!

Comment

Good call on the covers, Twowingtij, I appreciate you posting that.

Your flight was too good to pass up, Tony! It's easy when I can just post the video straight out of the camera from start to finish and it's all good stuff. That's a lot of fun for just a couple hundred bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                          X