X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

I do however completely agree with using the 9 blade which I see you did.
    Negative on 9 blade, it's a Freewing 6 blade 80mm and i think it's discontinued because Motion RC removed the link from their site. It was on sale for couple of month at least
    This is the link:

If you paste this in google: "Freewing 80mm 6-Blade EDF 6S Power System w/ 3525-2050kV Motor"
    Top search should show a 4.6 star search result to above EDF unit. It gives me error 404.

On stabs: i also forgot to include pics from the bottom. Stabs are reinforced with plywood cutouts to make sure they don't snap off. I'll mention that in the how--to tutorial.

Also, i had major shaking, I think it's due to the strong crosswind i had during this flight, specially when i was above the trees. FPV footage really captures the shakes. You can even see plane rolling left and right during landing from my wife's camera. Is that normal for this model? This is my first successful EDF, all is new to me and i don't usually get instability like that with warbirds while in crosswind.

Have a great weekend pilots!

Comment

• I find this one to be a very stable flyer. Even without a Gyro, mine flies Great !! No 'Shaking' to use your term. I am not really sure what shaking movements you are experiencing with yours but it seems uncharacteristic.

Plenty of great onboard and ground based videos on this one to view. Urrl and Gooniac, along with a few others, have posted some really great stuff !!! GL sorting it out ! Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Vincent View Post

have you tried flaperons on this one?
        What did I say?

Comment

• I just acquired the arctic camo high performance version from a fellow club member. it has the upgraded landing gear, and on the mains, both strut pins are bent so bad that it is unflyable. Is there anywhere to purchase just the pins, or do you have to buy the whole strut ?

Comment

• Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
            Is there anywhere to purchase just the pins, or do you have to buy the whole strut ?
            The upgrades aren't that reliable. I had my share of frustrations. I just use anvil and hammer to straighten them out. If you are going to do that, use smooth hammer head so you dont damage the pins.
            Also, your nose gear will jam when the pin is bent... watch out and check your landing gear after rough landing. I already scraped nose twice.
            I didnt see pins in spare parts. Just find out what diameter they are and look for them online. Also can check other models spare parts section, you might find a match.

Comment

• I put a A-4 80mm in mine but swapped the shroud for a plastic one to save weight. Not sure why but it only made 1906W and flew like it. Much slower than it was with the XRP 70mm 13b which makes 2350W. The 80mm set up had almost zero perceptible motor whine which is cool. It was a cool experiment which I may revisit with a hotter 80mm set up. I may add some of the Eflite's top side cheaters to get more air in it too.

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

i don't think that swapping out the stock fan for the 80mm metal housing 12 blade fan is worth the effort. I do however completely agree with using the 9 blade which I see you did. I had been wondering how it would work in the F-16 airframe and now see that you have done it. It looks to fly pretty good! Good job on the upgrade!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                I put a A-4 80mm in mine but swapped the shroud for a plastic one to save weight. Not sure why but it only made 1906W and flew like it. Much slower than it was with the XRP 70mm 13b which makes 2350W. The 80mm set up had almost zero perceptible motor whine which is cool. It was a cool experiment which I may revisit with a hotter 80mm set up. I may add some of the Eflite's top side cheaters to get more air in it too.

Hi Evan, just to clarify, you're saying you put the A-4's 80mm EDF inside the 70mm F-16? The inlets and outlet math would be awry, which wouldn't surprise me as to why its wattage was lower.

But I admire the DIY attitude. Tinkering is the best part!
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I do like to see what will happen... I put a 90mm, the old FW 6b 90, in a 80mm F86 and it was awesome. I need to rethink the F-16.. there's still hope it'll work out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    I put a A-4 80mm in mine but swapped the shroud for a plastic one to save weight. Not sure why but it only made 1906W and flew like it. Much slower than it was with the XRP 70mm 13b which makes 2350W. The 80mm set up had almost zero perceptible motor whine which is cool. It was a cool experiment which I may revisit with a hotter 80mm set up. I may add some of the Eflite's top side cheaters to get more air in it too.

I don't get caught up in the watts so much as I do with how it actually sounds and feels. You can tell when a fan is starved for air. In my experience the stock Freewing fans have a little too much pitch to be dealing with cramped quarters. They starve for air and cavitate. I can hear that right off the bat. Now the FMS fan has been doing better in tight spots like this... I would be willing to see how it works in comparison... Just to see how it works...

but in all honesty I am really happy with the XRP 14 blade and Dr. Madthrust 2960 2200kv motor set up. The Powerfun is another that I would be willing to try out as well but that would be pretty close to what the stock set up is...
                    Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• You can take the pin to the hardware store and make a much stronger one from a machine screw. Just match the length and width of the non threaded part. All you need is a grinder or dremel. Worst case scenario is bolt cutters and sanding...
                      I've done it before, but the retract cases are then the weakest thing and will break first next time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• This project started as a wrecked arctic camo version. Still a ways to go, but getting closer.

Comment

• Finally ordered an Arctic Camo version...This is a fantastic V2 70mm jet. Nice conversion work there scootergenie!
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Finished up the topside tonight. Still have to clear it with a matte finish, except for the nose cone, which will get a satin clear.

Comment

• Has anyone the paint match for the two grays used on the original V2?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
                                Has anyone the paint match for the two grays used on the original V2?
                                I have but I won't be home again for a few days to get them.

Comment

• Jet hanger hobbies castle 5 pilot. Printed the dash panels on gloss photo paper. Have to cover exposed foam with plastic for sale sign cut to pattern and sprayed black. I need to figure out how to simulate the pilots knees between the panels.

Comment

• Looks sweet scootergenie!

Got my Arctic Camo today...Put her together in 12 seconds I think. LOL

If she's anything like my first one (gray V2) I know I am gonna love it. Not even going to bother with throw measuring...Looks good to me out of the box. Maiden tomorrow with my new RunCam 2. :Cool:
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Thanks Aros..... Much appreciated ! Hope you're maiden goes well. Did you get the inrunner version ?

Comment

• No I just got the regular 6S Pro with outrunner...Same as before...I selected the wrong version. :Silly: :( :Angry: :Confused: :Scared::Not-Talking:
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Some cockpit fun. Made ejection seat rails and parachute bag, as well as covering all foam I thought might gator. Just some paint work and the cockpit will be done.

Comment

Working...
                                          X