Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So it seems this "thread is dead"? Doesn't anyone out there fly the 90mm F-16 anymore? Trying to get some info on the elevator compensation when using take-off and landing flaperons, but nothing yet. I would guess it's similar to the Stinger 90 and maybe the F-4, a certain amount of up elevator with the flaps, however, the only post I could find in this entire thread was from 2016 and he stated "PLUS 19 with take-off and PLUS 28 with landing". Now I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but to me that means DOWN elevator, and that just seems to be counter intuitive, but what do I know, just plugging in a battery takes all my brain power. Could this be the only plane in my fleet that uses down elevator with more flaps? If I program some up elevator and it really is down, I'll probably go into a stall before I know it. Someone of all you brainiacs out there must know.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Would love to help out but I never added flaperons on mine, and I sold mine eons ago due to the aforementioned "weight problem"...I would love to pick one up again but this time adding an inrunner so the power is more in line with the AUW. You could add in flaperons and just a hint of up elevator and then tweak accordingly based on how your flight(s) went. Good luck!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
        So it seems this "thread is dead"? Doesn't anyone out there fly the 90mm F-16 anymore? Trying to get some info on the elevator compensation when using take-off and landing flaperons, but nothing yet. I would guess it's similar to the Stinger 90 and maybe the F-4, a certain amount of up elevator with the flaps, however, the only post I could find in this entire thread was from 2016 and he stated "PLUS 19 with take-off and PLUS 28 with landing". Now I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but to me that means DOWN elevator, and that just seems to be counter intuitive, but what do I know, just plugging in a battery takes all my brain power. Could this be the only plane in my fleet that uses down elevator with more flaps? If I program some up elevator and it really is down, I'll probably go into a stall before I know it. Someone of all you brainiacs out there must know.
        Hugh,

I haven't flown mine in years however I did use flapperons. I used what Pilot Ryan recommended in the product video. Flapperons will require up elevator (measured down on the leading edge...I think there lies the confusion). To be clear, flapperons without elevator compensation will pitch the nose down.

Sean

Comment

• Just finished my "fleet" of four 90mm F-16's: The "Wild Weasel", the Lone Star Gunfighters, the Flying Razorbacks and the 115th Wisconsin Fighter Wing. Was going to maiden it this week but found major timing issues with the 155amp Gecko ESC with the 12 blade 4068-1835kv inrunner. Motion even recommended not to mess with the firmware update and reprogramming of the timing, so I'm now waiting on a Castle 130 amp and waiting to see if Motion will give me any credit for the Gecko if I return it. If not, I'm tossing it in the ocean, wouldn't feel comfortable even giving to a friend (or enemy) and worrying about it failing and destroying their plane.

I'm sure you've already guessed, but I didn't buy four F-16's, just did 4 different tail versions and about 6 nose cone versions with the help of Callie as I couldn't decide which one I liked best. The tail and nose piece change out in less than 10 minutes, so in theory, I can fly 4 different ones all in the same day. Had to also do some additional painting to help me with orientation (and cause I just can't leave well enough alone). If HP can do 4in1 printers, then I can do 4in1 planes. The upside is I only have to maiden 1 for all 4 to be set and the cost, averaged out over 4 jets bring it to less than $200 per jet, thereby saving me a total of $2,200 on 4 jets (that's the logic I used on my wife, and she can't argue cause that's the type of logic she uses on me when she returns from shopping). Of course the down side is if I lawn dart 1, they all go down.

I know the F-16 isn't all that popular right now, but it's such a bad ass looking jet with the missiles and lighted afterburner that I just had to have one (or 4). Everybody suggested the F-15, F-22 or F-35, but I just love the look of the F-16, and better to "look good than fly good". I wouldn't know a good flying jet from a bad one anyway as I fly them all bad. Besides, in test flights against it's replacement, the F-35, the F-16 won all dogfights and was never "shot down" (although the F-35 does have stealth and superior electronics and only costs $90 million more than the F-16).

Hopefully, I'll get the new ESC by the end of the week and maybe get to maiden it some time next week, just about in time for the next Hurricane to come through.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

...Everybody suggested the F-15, F-22 or F-35, but I just love the look of the F-16, and better to "look good than fly good". I wouldn't know a good flying jet from a bad one anyway as I fly them all bad.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

and better to "look good than fly good". I wouldn't know a good flying jet from a bad one anyway as I fly them all bad.
              Fernando says YES

Comment

• As I mentioned, I found that the 155Amp Gecko ESC that Motion recommended with the upgraded 4068-1835kv inrunner had major timing issues causing the throttle to go "dead" on occasion after reducing it to 0. The only potential fix is to download a firmware fix or reprogram the timing of the ESC to get it to work properly, but the guys at Motion said this is tough to do and one guy told me if I mess with the timing, it could cause the EDF to burn out. So now I'm waiting on Motion to see if they are going to take it back, so in the meantime, ordered from them the Castle 130amp ESC with 5 amp BEC that was recommended as an alternative. My only question: is the 5 amp BEC enough, with 5 - 17g servos, 1 - 9 g servo, lights and nose/main retracts? One guy at Motion said yes, but I'm not so sure. Maybe I should get a separate 10amp BEC as well. Any thoughts?
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

As I mentioned, I found that the 155Amp Gecko ESC that Motion recommended with the upgraded 4068-1835kv inrunner had major timing issues causing the throttle to go "dead" on occasion after reducing it to 0. The only potential fix is to download a firmware fix or reprogram the timing of the ESC to get it to work properly, but the guys at Motion said this is tough to do and one guy told me if I mess with the timing, it could cause the EDF to burn out. So now I'm waiting on Motion to see if they are going to take it back, so in the meantime, ordered from them the Castle 130amp ESC with 5 amp BEC that was recommended as an alternative. My only question: is the 5 amp BEC enough, with 5 - 17g servos, 1 - 9 g servo, lights and nose/main retracts? One guy at Motion said yes, but I'm not so sure. Maybe I should get a separate 10amp BEC as well. Any thoughts?
                  I have had no issues with any of the stock 130a ESC that come with these jets, so far I have flown many flights with the 1835kv unit installed in the F-16, F-15, F-4, F-22, T-45, F-18, Eurofighter and the Yak 130, not one shut down or anything like that, not saying it won't happen but I put many flights on my jets and I don't back off to much, yeah they get a little warm at times but seem to work just fine. I see you already ordered the Castle ESC, but the ones in the FW kits work, maybe consider getting one of those.

Comment

• I haven't had issue with any of the many stock 130amp ESCs either. That being said, I have a Castle edge lite 130 in my F-22. You won't have any issues with that ESC ever... Also, if you use Spektrum its worth the $40 for the XBUS telemetry link.

Comment

• Hello all,
                      Could someone post pics of how the battery is connected to the f16.

Comment

• What do you mean? How the connections on EC5 plug in? UBEC wiring? Just make sure the black — goes to black, and the red + gets connected to the red.

Or are you talking about where the BEC plugs into the receiver?

Comment

• How the connections from 6S 22 v 5000mah EC5 after......where do I plug in the EC5 from the 5000mah battery?

Comment

• Into the electronic speed controller

Comment

• 747electric, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Please don't take this the wrong way but I have to admit I am a bit concerned about your flying this model if you are not even sure how to connect the battery to the ESC? Am I misreading something? If so I apologize!
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Question for those that have redone the tail graphics. Did you remove the original decals (if so how) then paint and reapply? Or just simply paint and apply the new decals?

Comment

• Yes, been flying slope and turbine since the 80's and recently purchased the Freewing F16 but confused on the actual setup of the connections for said connectors. I just wanted to see how everyone else is wiring their battery into the fuselage.

Comment

• I should open up the lower compartments to the motor and trace the wires back to the ESC....for some reason the ESC is well hidden.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiscalJackhammer View Post
                                      Question for those that have redone the tail graphics. Did you remove the original decals (if so how) then paint and reapply? Or just simply paint and apply the new decals?
                                      Best to remove the decals, but if you can't just paint over them. When I did a complete repaint of my Stinger 90, I was able to remove all the decals without affecting the original finish. On the F-16, I was not able to remove the tail decals without messing up the finish, so I just painted over the entire tail, then did the Wild Weasel and Lone Star Gunfighter's graphics from Callie over that. Worked out fine. You can see the result in my post above #424. Of course, the other 2 tail version I did came directly from Motion as is, including the servo and ball links.

I got the paint at home depot (see below for specifics-make sure that it is Satin, not flat or matte). The tail is the lighter shade, same as the bottom of the plane. Hope this helps.
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by 747electric View Post
                                        I should open up the lower compartments to the motor and trace the wires back to the ESC....for some reason the ESC is well hidden.
                                        Which version did you buy, the ARF or the PNP. If you bought the PNP, the red/black power cables from the ESC with the male (blue) connector should be right there at the back of the battery tray, clearly visible. The ESC is not really hidden, flip the fuselage over and you should see it through the vents, just in front of the EDF. Of course, if you bought the ARF, then it did not come with an ESC (which also has the power cables and throttle connections to the receiver) or the EDF fan. In that case, you will also need to purchase an EDF and ESC, then remove the bottom casing where the fan goes and also have to remove the vents which are glued on in order to mount an ESC. If you still have problems locating the battery connection cables that come wired into the ESC and you did purchase a PNP version, then maybe in packing they tucked the cables down the fuselage for shipping, but I doubt it. Let me know if you ended up with the ARF version, as I might be able to give you some advice on what else you need (just finishing up my ARF and got the upgrade in-runner fan but purchased Motion's recommended crappy Gecko ESC that now is being replaced with a Castle ESC and separate 10amp BEC-of course the stock ESC with 8amp BEC is also good).

Don't feel bad about asking stupid questions, no one can take that title away from me!
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• I don't feel bad about asking stupid questions because they call me stupid.lol......I just checked the electric fan motor....there is none...opps..
                                          .I thought I ordered complete kit but ordered the ARF PLUS....so yea...call me stupid..its ok:)lol....my next question is the ESC to use.....I ordered my kit thru MotionRc....should I just get what they recommended or go with you???....the god of ESC's and experience....:)

Comment

Working...
                                          X