X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
    Alright, rain and wife be damned I ordered the ARF+, 12 blade 4068-1835Kv Inrunner and 130A ESC...Bring on the Arctic Camo paint and some warmer temps!
    Excellent decision, the exact time to buy it, while it's raining and you can work on it. I do hope I talked you into buying it and with the inrunner, misery loves company (really just kidding). Now I need to convince you to use the 6000mah battery to get extended sorti happiness and add another internal LED afterburner with the stock.

You'll also love the way it plows through any sudden wind gusts, kind of like a semi running over a squirrel and much later saying "did I hit something back there or does this fur and guts come as standard equipment.": The perks of being a "heavy"!
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Thanks PaulZ! I did have this girl years ago and after I figured out how she wanted to be landed she was a blast...Really looking forward to this inrunner version and painting her up in the Arctic Camo scheme. I didn't have flaperon settings before but I think I will this time around.
      I am a big fan of using flaperons on jets that don't have regular flaps and just alierons. The F-16 slows down nicely using them and the real ones do the same.

Comment

Alright, rain and wife be damned I ordered the ARF+, 12 blade 4068-1835Kv Inrunner and 130A ESC...Bring on the Arctic Camo paint and some warmer temps!
        Happy for you Aros but a little bummed for me!

I have been keeping my fingers crossed that the next 90mm to get the high performance option with the 1835kv inrunner would be the F16. Buying it all separate gets pretty expensive. Since you are buying it all separate, and you make the pages for the website, clearly there isn't a high performance F16 right around the corner! Also, I don't know how it works out with your employee discount, but for us peasant customers, it is only $5 more to buy the PNP and the 1835kv inrunner than to buy the ARF+ with the esc and inrunner all separate. Then, you could sell off the stock outrunner to recoup a few dollars. (Can you tell I have been considering the F16 for a while??)

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
          Aros, I hope I didn't talk you into this purchase.
          Oh, I didn't need much convincing.

My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
            You'll also love the way it plows through any sudden wind gusts, kind of like a semi running over a squirrel and much later saying "did I hit something back there or does this fur and guts come as standard equipment.": The perks of being a "heavy"!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post
              I have been keeping my fingers crossed that the next 90mm to get the high performance option with the 1835kv inrunner would be the F16. Buying it all separate gets pretty expensive. Since you are buying it all separate, and you make the pages for the website, clearly there isn't a high performance F16 right around the corner! Also, I don't know how it works out with your employee discount, but for us peasant customers, it is only $5 more to buy the PNP and the 1835kv inrunner than to buy the ARF+ with the esc and inrunner all separate. Then, you could sell off the stock outrunner to recoup a few dollars. (Can you tell I have been considering the F16 for a while??)
              Yeah, unfortunately I haven't heard of the 90mm F-16 getting ready to get the High Performance/Inrunner treatment as of yet. That could change though. As for the PNP...Dang, I didn't even think of that! I was so in my head about the ARF+! Drat, that would have been a great idea. Ah, well...Next time!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• After all the issues I was having with this plane (all on me, not the plane), I finally got it in the air this past weekend. It actually wasn't bad either, minor trim and it seemed to be locked in. I was worried about the weight and what I had seen on several of the YouTube videos had me concerned it was going to be really tough to get off the ground and then a booger to land, but the weight actually settled it down and while the landing was a little quick, with practice I think it can slow down reasonably well. The 1st flight was on the stock motor and while it wasn't overly impressive, it did fly well at half throttle. I think 3 min is the perfect time for a 5000mh battery. I ended up at 4:05 because the time initially got away from me and then I had to make 2 landing attempts. I was impressed at the high alpha and the smooth landing. I've got a couple of 6000 batteries and after reading DCorsair's post it's good to know the CG isn't affected. BTW, I used 120mm as the CG and it seemed to spot on. Slight elevator trim which I'm sure goes back to my setup and it was good to go. I kept hearing it's not a bad plane and I think DCorsair and Hugh are right. Ignore the negative videos and things will be fine.

Comment

Atta boy!!! I am really considering doing the same... My F-104 is so picky with flying conditions and may need to get a new home. I kinda want a Thunderbird to give the Gooniac Treatment!!
                  Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

Atta boy!!! I am really considering doing the same... My F-104 is so picky with flying conditions and may need to get a new home. I kinda want a Thunderbird to give the Gooniac Treatment!!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	413.gif
Views:	371
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	233137

Comment

• Have to say, the T-Bird is an excellent choice, had two of them and for some reason, just maybe because of the airshow colors, both seeemed to fly better than the gray version........

Comment

• Good thing I am painting mine Arctic Aggressor then.
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Bellke View Post
                          After all the issues I was having with this plane (all on me, not the plane), I finally got it in the air this past weekend. It actually wasn't bad either, minor trim and it seemed to be locked in. I was worried about the weight and what I had seen on several of the YouTube videos had me concerned it was going to be really tough to get off the ground and then a booger to land, but the weight actually settled it down and while the landing was a little quick, with practice I think it can slow down reasonably well. The 1st flight was on the stock motor and while it wasn't overly impressive, it did fly well at half throttle. I think 3 min is the perfect time for a 5000mh battery. I ended up at 4:05 because the time initially got away from me and then I had to make 2 landing attempts. I was impressed at the high alpha and the smooth landing. I've got a couple of 6000 batteries and after reading DCorsair's post it's good to know the CG isn't affected. BTW, I used 120mm as the CG and it seemed to spot on. Slight elevator trim which I'm sure goes back to my setup and it was good to go. I kept hearing it's not a bad plane and I think DCorsair and Hugh are right. Ignore the negative videos and things will be fine.
                          Get that 6000 in it with the same 120 cm and you'll never go back to the 5000. I had to put 1 ounce of lead in the nose to cg at 120mm with the 5000 all the way forward, and the 6000 balanced maybe 2 inches aft, so now I can remove the lead and slide the 6000 a little more forward. I think the extra LED afterburner I put on made the lead necessary in the first place. The 6000 gave me almost an extra minute with no ill effects, so now I'm comfortable with about 4:30 (unless it's a turn and burn sortie, always an extra thrill now and then). How sweet it is.
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Ya, know.... Up until now the 90 mm F-16 is one I have avoided adding. But Thanks to all you techno Mavericks pushing the envelope, I am seriously reconsidering.
                            4:30 for a 90 mike mike Viper?? is AWESOME!

And you get that with Inrunner... and a 6000? Yes?
                            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                              Ya, know.... Up until now the 90 mm F-16 is one I have avoided adding. But Thanks to all you techno Mavericks pushing the envelope, I am seriously reconsidering.
                              4:30 for a 90 mike mike Viper?? is AWESOME!

And you get that with Inrunner... and a 6000? Yes?
                              Si Senor, the 6000 and the in runner. Also programmed flaperons so I use less full throttle duration on take-off. Set my timer at 4:00, then if it is an "aggressive" flight, I configure to land at 1 minute left, finishing around 3:30 to 3:45. If it's a "relaxing" cruise on the 1st flight of the day, configure to land at 4:00 notice, finishing around 4:30.
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Alright got her all ready to go. Have some questions and tried searching the thread but wasn't coming up with the info I was hoping for (it was funny/nostalgic reading my posts from nearly 5 years ago getting her ready for the original's maiden). So to avoid reading 577 posts I hope some of you don't mind indulging me with some info that I am sure has been addressed along the way. Much appreciated!

1) CG... I read recently someone saying the sweet spot was 120mm. Does that sound about right? I know we all have our preferences but I always like to hear a general consensus +/- 5mm....

2) Blinking LEDs... I see and think I remember now that by default the LEDs all blink/flash. I don't mind the tail LEDs flashing but I want the nav lights solid. I was looking at the diagram but I couldn't make sense of it. Is there a easy way to get the nav lights to solid state?

3) Throws... I assume the recommended for ailerons are too touchy...I always dial those down, especially for a maiden. Anyone have some numbers they have found like the CG that seem to be the sweet spot/range?

4) Clean/Dirty... She looks SO badass with full ordinance package and tanks! I want to fly her that way but I probably should maiden clean or at least with just the wingtip rails. Has anyone found a huge difference in flying fully clean versus fully dirty or somewhere in between? I know some jets don't seem to mind flying full dirty, maybe just a tad slower is it, but others behave entirely differently. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Well those are the main questions I have. I may go against my normal routine and paint her all up Arctic Camo before maidening. Primarily because the weather is garbage here in the Pacific Northwest and a maiden seems far out at this point. Might as well keep busy with painting her in my chosen livery. Temps aren't too cold at the moment. 50's...Might be doable. Thanks again for any information anyone is willing to offer!

Click image for larger version

Name:	build1.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	233381
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Aros, welcome to the squadron!
                                  My 2 cents:
                                  1) For me, sweet spot is 118-122, anything further back and it still flies well but landing is difficult.
                                  2) Can't help you with the blinking lights, sorry
                                  3) I reduced the aileron rates 10%-15% (10 low, 12.5 mid, 15 high if you use 3 rates). Just the opposite on the elevator, increased rates 15-20%. For expo, although that is a highly personal item, I like 35-40%.
                                  4) I've only flown it with the 6 missiles, and honestly did not notice much of a difference. As far as with tanks, I'm curious on that as well. May never strap them on though, with over 100 flights on my F-4s, I've yet to try it with the tanks.

Can't wait to see your Artic Camo repaint, I'm already jealous.

As I've mention earlier, you seriously may want to program flaperons. I know you fly off asphalt, so you don't need them for takeoff like I did to get off grass. Where they do help is reducing the draining of the battery on takeoff (shorter full thrust duration) and an easier climb to get some maneuvering altirude. Every little bit of extra flight time is like a gift from heaven. Oh yah, helps on landing slow high alpha as well.
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Oh, one last thing. Like all planes, a nice, slow acceleration on takeoff is preferred, but with this jet, even more so. It's like driving a winnebago, not a Ferrari. Punching it on takeoff only drains the battery quicker without benefit. I only have it at full throttle the last 30 feet or so, then raise it off at a shallow angle of attack, retract the gear, and when it's about 20 feet off the ground reduce it to say 70%, and finish out the climb and initial turn with takeoff flaps still deployed and then cut to say 60% as I enter the first downwind leg and return flaps to up position. I'm sure this is normal procedure for everyone, but it took me a while to figure it out, and I've seen way to many guys yank it off the ground at a high angle of attack and it just doesn't look right!
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Good stuff Hugh, thanks for the response! Did you increase the elevator throw from recommended due to personal style or did you feel this model needs the extra throw on pitch?

On the blinking lights, do you mean you too haven't figured it out, or do you just mean you don't mind them flashing? Finally, I do plan on mixing flaperons...What kind of throws have you found effective? I usually program my flaps for takeoff and landing mode. Thanks again!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• 1) I increased the elevator throws because I felt it needed it, not for takeoff, but for better response getting it into high alpha.
                                        2) On the blinking lights, I don't mind them so haven't investigated making the wing tips solid-actually too busy worrying about other items to get there. Would like the wing tips solid though.
                                        3) Me too, on takeoff flaps I set the deflection at 15mm and landing at 22mm. You could go a little more if you like as this is more modest than usual for me (ala your and my Corsair). If I remember, the manual suggests 25 on both but didn't want to over-extend the aileron servo at full flaps, although with the aileron throws slightly reduced, I'm not likely to pull a full aileron roll at full flaps anyway.
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• I have mine set up for 3 flight modes on a single 3 way toggle switch.

1. Flaperons at 15% and conventional elevator, used for take off and high wind landings.

2. Conventional setup aileron and elevator for enroute flight.

3. Full deflection flaps, no ailerons or flaperons and elevons for the tail, with about 15% of rudder mixed in with the elevons being the master. This is for normal landings. I've got a few hours watching the full scale birds land at Kunsan and Osan AFB over here and about half of all the real world landings I've witnessed up close and personal aren't the most graceful touchdowns. For my model, full non moving flaps and an all moving tail with a wee bit of rudder mixed in gives me the slowest most stable landings I've experienced with my limited time flying this F-16. I've been flying it on these flight modes since the 3rd flight and I like it. When using full flaps my F-16 lands more like the Mirage 2000.

Comment

Working...
                                          X