Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the responses guys, I absolutely hate programming ESC's but let me see if I have a hobbywing esc programming card around here. PaulZ, why do you advise medium timing? In other words what are the negative effects of using high or low timing. My programming of ESC's usually consists of setting the throttle limits on initial start up lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulZ View Post

The extra lead is for attaching the Hobbywing programming card to change ESC settings. I would advice to check these settings before you fly as you don't know what they are set to in the factory. Most important is timing, these motors work best with "medium" timing setting. The rpm of the motors change with with different timing. I am curious how the model will perform with 8s? I found that the 1835kv 6s setup was the best compromise between weight and thrust.
      Got one, what's your recommendation on the programming?
      Attached Files

Comment

• I'm thinking
        brake-off
        Batt type-Li-xx, (obviously)
        cut off type-soft cut
        cut off voltage-low
        start mode-normal
        timing-middle, (per your suggestion)
        Music - don't care
        Reserved item- have no idea what this is it has an option 1 and option 2

Your input is appreciated

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post
          I'm thinking
          brake-off
          Batt type-Li-xx, (obviously)
          cut off type-soft cut
          cut off voltage-low
          start mode-normal
          timing-middle, (per your suggestion)
          Music - don't care
          Reserved item- have no idea what this is it has an option 1 and option 2

Your input is appreciated
          That looks like the right settings. I confess I am not an expert on timing settings but I noticed that all the Freewing PNP models come setup on medium which is actually "auto" where the ESC figures out best timing for the motor. I had a friend set timing to high once on a 90mm jet to test and yes the thrust was a bit higher but it drained his battery so fast he LVC'd in the air and had to land after just a 2min flight. Maybe someone here can explain the timing issue better?

Comment

Ok so apparently in my passion for re-powering this bird I purchased an 8s 90mm from MRC. As it is the first one to arrive it gets first dibs. It's the 90mm, 12 blade, 4075-1390kv inrunner I believe it's the same one out of the 8s YAK-130. My question is what it's the second servo connector coming off the hobbywing ESC for? The short one?
            Just stuck this same 8S set up in my ARF FW F-15
            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

That looks like the right settings. I confess I am not an expert on timing settings but I noticed that all the Freewing PNP models come setup on medium which is actually "auto" where the ESC figures out best timing for the motor. I had a friend set timing to high once on a 90mm jet to test and yes the thrust was a bit higher but it drained his battery so fast he LVC'd in the air and had to land after just a 2min flight. Maybe someone here can explain the timing issue better?
              Makes sense to me medium timing it is then. Anyone know of what the last setting is for? The reserved item, option 1 or 2 is used for?

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post

Just stuck this same 8S set up in my ARF FW F-15
                Have you flown her with it yet? Your thoughts?

Comment

• Anyone else noticed the 2 mock barrels simulating the 20mm cannon? I just did, that's awesome!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Update the 8s power setup was a winner. True vertical, 45 to 75 degree banking turns at half throttle, straight and level flight at about 30 percent throttle.

While installing this setup I noticed that the interior of the foam thrust tube has a 2 or 3 cm narrower than the exit of the 90mm fan shroud so I did a bit of carving to smooth out the exit.

There was no way to put greater than 3300mah worth of fuel on board and keep CG, without doing some more carving. I carved the fuselage walls, the top hatch, and relocated the hatch and fuselage magnets. That allowed up to 6,000mah of 8s to be installed although I only flew with 5,000mah on board.

First flight was amazing, I flew with two 4s 5,000mah 70C from CHNL. I was a little nose heavy as I chose to be conservative on the CG, that was a mistake especially with the flaps causing the nose to drop even more. Zeroed the flaps and with full up elevons and a little extra speed she landed no problems.

Decided to do a little plug and play/programming at the airfield. Change from elevons and flaps to elevator and flaperons. Went back up with a pair of CNHL Black 4s, 5,000mah 65C batteries. I preferred this set up for the majority of the flight profile, however I flaps and elevons control is much better for a landing profile. My old JR 10S radio can't be set up for both, atleast not that I have figured out. So take two will be switching to the FrSky Taranis hopefully I can program what I want for flight modes.

So I'm on the downwind I select gear down they stopped about 3/4 of the way down, so I decided to do a low pass, the plan was to recycle the gear and hope for the best. So I turned base....

Only she didn't turn base, she kept going straight on a gentle decent bleeding airspeed, I tried to power up and nothing, there were 2 nitro planes flying so I couldn't hear the whine/whoosh of the spool up. It was about that time when the stall happened and she became the prettiest lawn dart you ever did see...
                    Attached Files

Comment

• So the new set of wings, fuselage, hatch, and nose cone that I have on standby will be going together and everything transferred over. Don't know what happened but hopefully the new reciever will solve it.

Comment

Update the 8s power setup was a winner. True vertical, 45 to 75 degree banking turns at half throttle, straight and level flight at about 30 percent throttle.

While installing this setup I noticed that the interior of the foam thrust tube has a 2 or 3 cm narrower than the exit of the 90mm fan shroud so I did a bit of carving to smooth out the exit.

There was no way to put greater than 3300mah worth of fuel on board and keep CG, without doing some more carving. I carved the fuselage walls, the top hatch, and relocated the hatch and fuselage magnets. That allowed up to 6,000mah of 8s to be installed although I only flew with 5,000mah on board.

First flight was amazing, I flew with two 4s 5,000mah 70C from CHNL. I was a little nose heavy as I chose to be conservative on the CG, that was a mistake especially with the flaps causing the nose to drop even more. Zeroed the flaps and with full up elevons and a little extra speed she landed no problems.

Decided to do a little plug and play/programming at the airfield. Change from elevons and flaps to elevator and flaperons. Went back up with a pair of CNHL Black 4s, 5,000mah 65C batteries. I preferred this set up for the majority of the flight profile, however I flaps and elevons control is much better for a landing profile. My old JR 10S radio can't be set up for both, atleast not that I have figured out. So take two will be switching to the FrSky Taranis hopefully I can program what I want for flight modes.

So I'm on the downwind I select gear down they stopped about 3/4 of the way down, so I decided to do a low pass, the plan was to recycle the gear and hope for the best. So I turned base....

Only she didn't turn base, she kept going straight on a gentle decent bleeding airspeed, I tried to power up and nothing, there were 2 nitro planes flying so I couldn't hear the whine/whoosh of the spool up. It was about that time when the stall happened and she became the prettiest lawn dart you ever did see...
                        Wow! So sorry to see this Phantom...

Comment

Wow! So sorry to see this Phantom...
                          No worries, this is probably the 4th or 5th crash over my RC hobby career that is due to low voltage cutoff, brown out, or loss of signal. It happens, and I'm good with it, I've got the stuff already at the house to fix her up like new, and now I have a power system that works, so here's to take two!

Comment

• Sorry to hear that but awesome attitude!
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Some progress made on the new fuselage...removed 9mm per side to increase the width of the battery bay by 18mm Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_235331.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	224631

Comment

• The magnets will be relocated outboard on both the fuselage and the hatch

Comment

• Next I leveled the battery bay floor started at 2mm in the front working back to approximately 10mm at the back increasing the overall depth of the battery compartment. I figured out just how much I could remove safely by dissecting my crashed fuselage. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_235451.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	224634Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_235448.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	224635Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_235331.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	224636Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_235344.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	224637

Comment

• The pile of foam removed... Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_235351.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	224639

Comment

• Increasing the battery position options and adding additional straps and the tray from the wrecked fuselage... Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_235405.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	224641Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_235429.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	224642

Comment

Increasing the battery position options and adding additional straps and the tray from the wrecked fuselage... Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_235405.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	224641Click image for larger version

Name:	20191224_235429.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	224642
                                        WOW, you my friend, have some serious skills, and I'm sure a large amount of patience. I LIKE IT!
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thanks Hugh,

Next I removed all excess foam on the hatch and the 9mm on either side to widen it to match the battery bay. Magnets moved to the edges. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191225_142527.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	224653Click image for larger version

Name:	20191225_142557.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	224654

Comment

Working...
                                          X