Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom just posted the results of my battery IR testing and power testing on the 4068-1835 Kv inrunner in the F-16 (along with other EDF's) under 2 posts in the Batteries catagory titled LiPo Wars: Admiral vs RT/HRB/HS. I included tests on the Hobbystar 8000 you recommended (thanks for the tip) and was a little surprised how well it did given the size and weight (is it 100C, not a chance but then what is). I'm going to use it in both the F-16 and SU-30 (fits in that even easier) for longer flight times. I was using the RT 5500 70C, but the HS 8000 is just as good (along with the HRB 6000) as the RT but both have more capacity. So the RT is now on extended vacation.
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
      Phantom just posted the results of my battery IR testing and power testing on the 4068-1835 Kv inrunner in the F-16 (along with other EDF's) under 2 posts in the Batteries catagory titled LiPo Wars: Admiral vs RT/HRB/HS. I included tests on the Hobbystar 8000 you recommended (thanks for the tip) and was a little surprised how well it did given the size and weight (is it 100C, not a chance but then what is). I'm going to use it in both the F-16 and SU-30 (fits in that even easier) for longer flight times. I was using the RT 5500 70C, but the HS 8000 is just as good (along with the HRB 6000) as the RT but both have more capacity. So the RT is now on extended vacation.
      Hugh,

I really appreciate your IR, and C rating testing. I've often wondered how far off the manufacturers were from their claims...

Comment

• What is a good replacement servo for tailerons?

Comment

• Ever since our club's lawn equipment went DOA and they got a new machine, which doesn't cut as low, I've been struggling to get a couple jets off the runway, the SU-30 and the F-16 (even with flaperons and the upgraded 12 blade inrunner in the F-16). A couple days ago I was able to get a 2 1/4" Hangar 9 Pro-Lite wheel on the SU-30 which required almost no modifications, so today I struggled to address the F-16. Both had a smaller 1 7/8" wheel in the nose. Well, after several hours of grinding and modifying (and a bunch of choice words ), I was finally able to get a 2" Hangar 9 Pro-Lite on the F-16 nose. I had a few of these from other planes I don't use, but noticed they no longer sell them, the smallest being available now is the 2 1/4".

I did need to grind down the wheel assembly without destroying the functionality of the shocks so it would turn freely, and then I had to do a slight modification to the gear door. Cut the opening of the hatch aft so the wheel would swing in and had to put a small hole in the aft portion of the door over the high point of the wheel so it would close completely, but otherwise not that bad. Don't know if this will help, but I'm darn sure it won't be any worse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200721_191805.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	264831Click image for larger version

Name:	20200721_191831.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	264832Click image for larger version

Name:	20200721_191857.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	264833
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Got the F-16 out yesterday to try the nose wheel modification and a couple different batteries from the RT 5500 70 C I've been using. This time changed the livery to the Fighting Razorbacks version and got it out with a stiff 15-20 mph wind. I tried the HRB 6000 mAh 50C and the Hobbystar 8000 mAh battery Phantom had suggested to me (thanks for tip).

First off, the new nose wheel worked like a charm, it took off with each battery in less that 100 feet (before that it took a good 130-150 feet), so the slightly higher AoA on the runway helped and the larger wheel (going to 2" from 1 3/4") resulted in much less drag on the grass runway, allowing it to reach V1 much easier. And it was a hot, humid day, which makes it perform like it's at a higher altitude than being at sea level. As far as the batteries, the HRB performed great, virtually the same thrust as from the RT and at the same weight (but at least $40 bucks cheaper in cost), but gave about 20 seconds more flight time (an eternity in EDF's). Surprisingly, the HS 8000 (at 900g) performed just as well and gave an additional minute over the RT (but still need to fly that battery more to gauge it's ultimate performance and flight time). So now the RT 5500 is out and the HRB and HobbyStar are in. It seems the upgraded 12 blade 4068-1835 Kv inrunner in this is worth it's cost, cause if it can fly well with a brick like the HS 8000 in it (after already being considered a "heavy" jet), that's saying something.

Unfortunately, I noticed that Hangar 9 no longer makes the 2" Pro-Light that I used but was lucky that I had several from other planes I no longer have. Not sure what a good alternative to that would be because the diameter was perfect, with only slight modification to the strut, and the width was just right and the axle hole could be drilled out to the right size. And it's not as "mushy" as the stock wheel so rolls on grass easier.
            Also modified the SU-30 nose wheel to the 2 1/4" Hangar 9 (which are still made) and that also worked wonders for that flying bus (at least on take-off, it still flies like a tank). But the HS 8000 was just too heavy for it, although it took off in the same distance, but it flew like needing almost full throttle to keep it up (and thereby losing any gain in flight time) and ending up with very strained vertical. No HS 8000 for that beast anymore!

Anyway, I have attached a really bad video of both take-offs with the F-16 here, but don't give me any heat over the poor quality of the video. It was take with a friends cell phone, the wind was making it shake and I think we both had a few too many shots earlier, but at least it sort of proves that the modifications worked and the batteries are usable. Here's the video:

Name:	20200731_141329.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	266186
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Got the F-16 out yesterday to try the nose wheel modification and a couple different batteries from the RT 5500 70 C I've been using. This time changed the livery to the Fighting Razorbacks version and got it out with a stiff 15-20 mph wind. I tried the HRB 6000 mAh 50C and the Hobbystar 8000 mAh battery Phantom had suggested to me (thanks for tip).

First off, the new nose wheel worked like a charm, it took off with each battery in less that 100 feet (before that it took a good 130-150 feet), so the slightly higher AoA on the runway helped and the larger wheel (going to 2" from 1 3/4") resulted in much less drag on the grass runway, allowing it to reach V1 much easier. And it was a hot, humid day, which makes it perform like it's at a higher altitude than being at sea level. As far as the batteries, the HRB performed great, virtually the same thrust as from the RT and at the same weight (but at least $40 bucks cheaper in cost), but gave about 20 seconds more flight time (an eternity in EDF's). Surprisingly, the HS 8000 (at 900g) performed just as well and gave an additional minute over the RT (but still need to fly that battery more to gauge it's ultimate performance and flight time). So now the RT 5500 is out and the HRB and HobbyStar are in. It seems the upgraded 12 blade 4068-1835 Kv inrunner in this is worth it's cost, cause if it can fly well with a brick like the HS 8000 in it (after already being considered a "heavy" jet), that's saying something.

Unfortunately, I noticed that Hangar 9 no longer makes the 2" Pro-Light that I used but was lucky that I had several from other planes I no longer have. Not sure what a good alternative to that would be because the diameter was perfect, with only slight modification to the strut, and the width was just right and the axle hole could be drilled out to the right size. And it's not as "mushy" as the stock wheel so rolls on grass easier.
              Also modified the SU-30 nose wheel to the 2 1/4" Hangar 9 (which are still made) and that also worked wonders for that flying bus (at least on take-off, it still flies like a tank). But the HS 8000 was just too heavy for it, although it took off in the same distance, but it flew like needing almost full throttle to keep it up (and thereby losing any gain in flight time) and ending up with very strained vertical. No HS 8000 for that beast anymore!

Anyway, I have attached a really bad video of both take-offs with the F-16 here, but don't give me any heat over the poor quality of the video. It was take with a friends cell phone, the wind was making it shake and I think we both had a few too many shots earlier, but at least it sort of proves that the modifications worked and the batteries are usable. Here's the video:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200731_141329.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.4 KB ID:	266186
              Wow Hugh, great to see another pilot figure out how to land the F-16, it's a great jet to fly once you get the landings down, nice stable descent with a slight nose up and a flare at the end, sweet.

Comment

• DCORSAIR thanks for the complement of the landing, but it just goes to prove that even a blind squirrel can occasionally find a nut.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Ok I have one coming finally! Got a Thunderbird and will be doing something special with this one! Should be fun!
                  Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Look what's coming soon kiddies!

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...mm-edf-jet-pnp
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                      Nice!! Is that the same EDF that now comes in the BA F-18? I think so, should make a nice upgrade. Although the more I fly mine with the 12 blade 4068-1835 Kv inrunner, the more I like it. Flew my Wisconsin Fighter wing version today and even in 98 degree, humid weather in dead calm wind, it got off the grass in 100 feet. Any of you EDF "masters" out there that can tell me the performance difference in the 12 blade 4068-1835 inrunner versus the 9 blade 3672-1900 Kv inrunner?

Name:	20200806_123141.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	266943
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Yep that's the one! I too like my 1835kV inrunner in this jet. Wonder what difference the 1900kV would be?
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                          Yep that's the one! I too like my 1835kV inrunner in this jet. Wonder what difference the 1900kV would be?
                          If RC Castle's specs. are accurate you get 100 more grams of thrust with a weight savings of 72 grams and higher efficiency of between 5 and 15 amps.

If course, getting accurate specs. is somewhat challenging, but the 1900kv motor sounds very good from the looks of it vs. the 1835 kv one. Probably not worth changing if you have it already, but good if you're buying new. Plus it's significantly less expensive.

All that being said, I'd speculate the larger 39-40mm inrunner motor still does better with acceleration.

Comment

Nice!! Is that the same EDF that now comes in the BA F-18? I think so, should make a nice upgrade. Although the more I fly mine with the 12 blade 4068-1835 Kv inrunner, the more I like it. Flew my Wisconsin Fighter wing version today and even in 98 degree, humid weather in dead calm wind, it got off the grass in 100 feet. Any of you EDF "masters" out there that can tell me the performance difference in the 12 blade 4068-1835 inrunner versus the 9 blade 3672-1900 Kv inrunner?

do you think the 8 cell 1380 I currently fly in this jet can handle tens? I use a 150 hobby wing esc no one seems to know I’m liking mine on eights tailerons only flaps only on wings no flaperons for me it lands great I know it can handle the weight

Comment

The biggest advantage to the new 9 blade is the weight and power consumption at full throttle! I have seen my buddy Nate fly his new F-18 for almost 6 mins (not lazy flying.....HARD) And the battery still had 3.75v per cell and the battery was barely warm. This was a 5000 pack as well!! With the 6000s he was over 3.8v per cell!! In other words the batteries were very happy!! The new fan is a great option and much better all around performance than the older 1835kv set up. 9 blades are the perfect number for speed and endurance it seems. Personally I prefer the higher blade count fans for their part throttle advantages since that is the way that I usually fly. I am willing to take a slight hit full throttle amp draw because I spend so little time there anyway. I wonder how good it will do in the F-16?

However I am setting mine up with an 8s set up... stay tuned... hopefully will get it in the air this weekend!!
                              Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                              I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• gooniac33 thanks for your input, really appreciate it. Can't wait to here how you like the 8S set-up on this bird. I do like the 12 blade 1835Kv set up in mine, but had it since day 1 so can't compare it to anything else. I'm not that interested in speed, have more the need for thrust to get off the grass and this fan seems to do just fine, and I too am seldom at full throttle.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	28D27E3A-CFC8-4B38-86DF-71FDABFE5CF5.jpeg
Views:	609
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	269571 Bought a used Viper from a friend. Excellent condition. First step of the repaint is to get the wells, doors and struts gloss white.

Before repaint started, I maidened it on a 6S in-runner setup just to make sure the trims and balance were all set. The plan was to put it on an 8S setup like my other 90mm F-16.

I have to say, I might keep it on the current setup. Obviously, it’s not as fast as the 8S and the vertical isn’t as impressive but it flys and lands so much lighter I just might keep it as is.

Comment

• Nice! I love mine on the 6S inrunner setup. Not blazing speeds but MUCH better than stock.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Has anyone who received the new performance model that became available last week have any feedback or videos?
                                      Hanger: FW F-22, E-Flight F-16, T-Rex 600, Twisted Hobbies 342, VIP Pylon, Flying Flags hotliner, 1.5 Maule,

Comment

• Yeah, I would like to know that also before I buy another one. I had one with the 12 blade 1835kv inrunner but would like to hear how the new 9 blade 1900kv inrunner performs.

Comment

• I have the E-flight F-16 70mm and I really like it, so much fun. I am thinking to get the FW F-16 90mm and was wondering if someone here on the forum has both and cold draw some parallels.

Comment

Working...
                                          X