First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
      I REALLY WANT A MIG 15 or 17! Cannot believe we dont have one. Seems all the ones that came before where junk. I will say this. My first turbine powered jet will be a F86! Already looking around and thinking of collecting parts! WOOT BIT by the bug!
      Freewing has a MIG-21 that is supposed to start shipping later this month. I preordered mine when they were announced.

Comment

I did as well. Just amazed though that the 15 or 17 is not in the larger size
        AMA 1102566

Comment

For anyone interested in seeing how the legendary F-86 Sabre flew from the pilots seat you have to check out one of the best simulations ever done for DCS by Belsimtek. Its a great way to become familiar with the Sabers flight envelope.
          The Belsimtek simulation of the Sabre is by far the most authentic recreation of this famous warbird to date. Feel what is to fly the Sabre with a professional level flight model, an interactive cockpit, fully functional weapons, a detailed damage model and a richly detailed aircraft. Experience the strengths and weaknesses of the Sabre in combat and find out why seasoned fighter pilots often look back at the Sabre as the most enjoyable aircraft they ever flew.

The North American F-86F Sabre is a day, clear weather, transonic fighter-interceptor with a secondary ground attack capability. The foremost US fighter of the Korean War (1950-53), the F-86 was the only Allied jet that could hold its own – and in the right hands, outmatch - the Russian-made MiG-15s over the bitterly-contested North Korean airspace known as ‘MiG Alley’. The F-86F is armed with six .50 in/12.7 mm Colt-Browning М3 machine guns, with a rate of fire of 1100 rounds per minute and 300 rounds per gun. A game-changer at the time, the Sabre’s excellent APG-30 gunsight helped give it the edge in dogfights, enabling accurate fire at longer ranges. It can also carry two AIM-9B Sidewinder missiles. For air-to-ground strikes the F-86 can deliver up to sixteen HVAR unguided rockets or pairs of AN-M64 500lb or M117 750lb General Purpose bombs.

Comment

I'm thinking about going to the inrunner upgrade on my F-86. Looking for some feedback on anyone who has upgraded the power system. Worth it??
            Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
            Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

I put a 70mm inrunner in an 80mm F-86 and I'm quite happy with it, especially the sound.

Comment

Has anyone tried flying this jet as a belly lander by removing gear? Wonder what the vertical performance would be? Appreciate any response

Comment

At this size and wieght, I would imagine that it would be quite difficult to hand launch. At the least, the servos and linkages would need to protected. I stripped a flap servo from regular use, so I can't imagine they would take belly landing well unprotected.

Comment

A tip of the hat to all Vietnam Veterans....thank you for your service!

Comment

tsunderl, I've seen only one pilot hand toss his Freewing 80mm F-86 consistently and successfully. It flew great but even he admitted it was a lot of effort when he would have been fine with keeping the landing gear and retaining the option to takeoff and land on wheels instead of walking out to go get it after every landing. Officially I wouldn't recommend these mods because this is not how I designed the aircraft to be operated. But for the record, here are the things he did to his aircraft:

1) Removed all three landing gear
                      2) Taped over the nose gear well completely
                      3) Taped over the main landing gear well partially, leaving the centermost area untaped so he could put his fingers inside to grip the aircraft for tossing
                      4) Added adhesive grip tape to that area of the inner well for more positive traction against his fingers
                      5) Also Dremeled impressions for his fingers in the fuselage just behind the wing root for better traction with a full hand grip.
                      6) Removed the flap servos, and taped the flap surfaces in the up position.
                      7) Installed servo horn protectors. I believe they were the ones produced by our friend Keith at www.parkflyerplastics.com: http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=315
                      8) Used the Admiral 6s 4000mAh PRO battery. not the 5000. Sometimes he used an even lighter 3600 (I'm unsure of the brand).

With a slight headwind and very strong toss gripped just behind while at full power, his F-86 took off very well. Vertical is a subjective thing; honestly it wasn't amazingly faster or more spirited without the gear, but it was lighter and even easier to land than it already is. If you're concerned with performance on your grass runway because it's rough, then I can see exploring the option of hand tossing the aircraft if you really want this specific aircraft and not a smaller more hand launch friendly aircraft. If you're concerned about stock performance with the weight of the landing gear, I filmed this video of Xplaneguy flying his completely stock Freewing 80mm F-86 Sabre. It's an older camera with poor zoom but you get the idea of how the plane isn't a slouch.

If you have an appropriate runway and are thinking about hand launching "just because"... again I'd recommend against it.

Tony flying the Freewing 80mm F-86 Sabre. What a mild mannered jet. Great performance for the money. Flown on an Admiral 6s 4000mAh pack.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I had to double-take those F-86 photos, Tony! Looks real, especially with the painted gear struts. Nice!
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks fellow RCers for the reply. Will look at other jets for hand launching!

Comment

Originally posted by tsunderl View Post
                            Take a look at the 64mm Freewing Panther and F-22. Both jets are great fliers and are designed for hand launching.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                              I had to double-take those F-86 photos, Tony! Looks real, especially with the painted gear struts. Nice!
                              Thanks Alpha. It was a fun repaint to honor our Vietnam Vets.

Comment

Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
                                A tip of the hat to all Vietnam Veterans....thank you for your service!
                                WOW!!! I really like this scheme! Now if we could get freewing to make an F-105 THUD in the same paint scheme!!!!

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Originally posted by tsunderl View Post
                                  The smaller Freewing 64mm F-86 is meant for hand launching. that one is perfect!!
                                  Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                                    WOW!!! I really like this scheme! Now if we could get freewing to make an F-105 THUD in the same paint scheme!!!!
                                    Thanks Ray, much appreciated. :)

Comment

A recent flight

Comment

Morning flights

Comment

• Install Inrunner EDF and Brakes

I upgraded my F-86 by installing the inrunner EDF and electric brakes. The attached document shows the details of the components and steps I used. I hope this will be helpful for anyone else considering these upgrades.

I would also appreciate any feedback you may care to provide on the document itself. I’ve received a lot of help from other hobbyists over the years and would like to give back to the RC community. In general, would you find documents like this helpful? Is there too much detail or not enough? What kind of topics would you like to see addressed? If you care to provide feedback to help me better serve the RC community, please PM me or send email to yourrcompanion@indy.rr.com.

Brad
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X